It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World simmers in hottest year so far

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well 2 weeks ago the temp here hit 42c. That's 107f. This Canuckian hasn't felt heat like that since LA back in the 70's. Not only heat but humidity as well. It was like breathing soup. Some may scoff at this but Toronto is NOT LA.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

We have had some hot weather here in the UK this year after a bad snowy winter.

My Grandfather always said that nature balances itself out so bad Winter equals hot Summer and this year, he's correct!

Trouble is in the UK is the high humidity. It kills thousands of people here every year and unlike most homes in the US and Canada, ours DON'T have any kind of air conditioning. We're lucky if we have it in our cars, some of the big banks and stores / malls have it though and it's lovely feeling cool after the oven outside.

I visited Luxor in Egypt last October and it was 50 C in the Valley Of The Kings according to the thermometer in the shade there but it didn't feel as hot as the 30 C in the UK because it was a dry heat in Egypt.

If the UK wasn't an island, it was be completely different.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I wish you would change your avatar, Intrepid. Every time I see Picard giving me the stink eye I lose my train of thought.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Darkrunner]

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

We just came out of one of the coldest winters and now we are in the hottest summers.

Am I suppose to care that the law of equality is occurring?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Here in s.e asia weather been same as always.. Hot .. And get the usual rains.. Havent noticed any big change in weather. But then again am rather far from any cities where temps are usually 3-4 degrees higher due to all the concrete and steel ..

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I smoke in my garage with the garage door cracked. (don't smoke in my house)

I can't believe I'm saying this but on Monday I actually sat in the garage, on a lawn chair, facing an industrial size fan, with my laptop, in my underwear. THATS how hot it is here in the South.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

They post this "its the hottest ever" every June/July. I just call it summer because its always hotter in the summer months. I guess the so-called scientists have never bothered to check a calendar.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My neck of the woods has been miserable, Consistently high 90s, which is unusual. First tired of the snow, now tired of the heat.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Yea, because scientists just forget to check the calendar.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk

I smoke in my garage with the garage door cracked. (don't smoke in my house)

I can't believe I'm saying this but on Monday I actually sat in the garage, on a lawn chair, facing an industrial size fan, with my laptop, in my underwear. THATS how hot it is here in the South.

Wow, next time you wanna do that, call me and I'll join you lol

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

0.03 degrees, time to ring the doomsday alarm bells

It has been very hot and this creates a curious conundrum because the hotter it gets the more we crank up the AC and that just uses energy that we get from burning fossil fuels. The viscous cycle continues. It also doesn't help that the cycle of warming is partly natural, our green house gases are only part of the problem of an ever-shifting planetary climate.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
We just came out of one of the coldest winters and now we are in the hottest summers.

December-February was the 5th warmest globally on record.

It is now 304 consecutive months of global temperatures being above the 20th century average. If you were born after February 1985, you have never seen a month in which the globe was anything but warmer than average.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
www.srh.noaa.gov.../summary/Winter2010.txt

According to this site, the winter of 09/10 was the fifth coldest winter on record. Spring here was cold as well. June was like March. Just 8 or so years ago we were swimming in April, AND, we have had many many many springs where May and June had hot spells. I have not even gone to the lake because the one 5 day hot spell here, didnt last long enough to warm up the water significantly.

THIS IS A LIE. Period. Period. Period.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
THIS IS A LIE. Period. Period. Period.

No idea if that is a reference to my post, but the NCDC summary is here.

The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for December 2009 - February 2010 was the fifth warmest on record for the season, 0.57°C (1.03°F) above the 20th century average of 12.1°C (53.8°F).

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Can we get some of that heat up in the north west of the US please, pretty please?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

yeah similar to the south west canada, same thing, sending a request in too. Would so love to go to the beach this year. I used to live in the water 1/3 of the year while growing up. Its been getting so much colder overall.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

The date is on my link. Getting the problem yet? Like I said, this June was like March and I still havnt gone to the beach. Used to be a mermaid.

Its been getting colder overall. currently warm and breezy a bit like May, used to be, though we've had really hot swimming temp Mays too. We had 5 days this July so far where I thought the lakes might actually warm up enough for me to drive to the beach. Not pretty at all. I've been putting off buying 2 more swim boards for the kids because why buy it if its only going to be used once, or not at all, and then get broken in the winter, like they usually do.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

It is not getting colder overall.

From melatonins link...

The combined global land and ocean surface temperature for February 2010 was the sixth warmest February since records began in 1880. The combined global land and ocean temperature anomaly was 0.60°C (1.08°F) above the 20th century average. Sea surface temperatures (SST) during February 2010 were warmer than average across much of the world's oceans, with cooler-than-average conditions across the Gulf of Mexico, along the western coast of South America, parts of the higher-latitude southern oceans, and the northern Atlantic and northeastern Pacific oceans

That explains that while in some areas, Gulf of Mexico for example, you might see lower than average temperatures, on a GLOBAL scale the average temperature has overall RISEN.

So while you might have had a cold winter, and it may be cooler than normal where you live it in no way means that global temperature isn't rising.

Again, I quote Bill Maher, since it seems to apply to your way of thinking...

Even scarier is why people have stopped thinking global warming is real. One major reason pollsters say is we had a very cold, snowy winter. Which is like saying the sun might not be real because last night it got dark. And my car's not real because I can't find my keys.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thats kinda funny, we are currently in our coldest winter for 113 years here in Western Australia, lol.

I love how they make these statements, it gets everyone all hyped up over the global warming debate

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here in Arizona we have enjoyed the coolest months from April - June that anyone can remember.
June though is another story. Could be that huge cme that was ejected a couple weeks ago fired up the Sun's furnace.
Reports of temps 130+. Local's thermometers. The officials will not report those temps.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join