It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NewAge Ethics Origins and the Golden Rule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have a couple of questions:

1. Do new-age ethics have a supreme source (ie. a paranormal force, God, etc.), or are they inherently a human pursuit?

2. How can the Golden Rule apply to all people, when values between people differ? (ie, What X wants may not be what Y wants, and vice versa).

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
radardog~

The New Age movement is more diverse than almost any other religious movement in history. It is not one religion but a classification of religions, everyone from the Raelians to some fundie Christian groups have been called "New Age"

That being said, I and several other scholars call anything that is a religion created in the last century that focuses upon internal exploration a New Age religion. Though still very broad, this narrows it down a bit.

New Age religions get their ethics from a great many sources, some from their gods, some from paranormal forces, ect. It's as divergent as anything else on the planet. Probably the weirdest I have ever heard of is people getting their ethics from what they believed were psychic connections to dolphins, that rated about a 10 on my BS-meter, and I'm very open minded.

The Golden Rule (I assume you refer to the idea of "treat your fellow as you wish to be treated") is also kind of hit or miss. While most New Age religions are very liberal and take the Golden Rule as a part of their teachings there are exceptions. Satanists (really atheistic objective humanists who like to cause arguments) for example do not take the Golden Rule. Also they make a point to partake in all seven of the Christian deadly sins, and bash both Western Religion and White Witches whenever they get the chance.

But the bottom line is that the New Age movement is as wide a spectrum as the religious world at large. If you wanted to narrow it down further I could probably tell you more about individual or groups of religions.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Why not go with what you believe in regards to ethics: Any comments in that regard?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by radardog

Youtube has offered me some document right now, maybe there is info you seek. It's pretty new documentary.
Gotta say I haven't seen it yet and I don't know if it is from pen of new age or not. I don't know if it is unbiased or not.
So here it is:

edit on 15/7/2011 by PapagiorgioCZ because: added "reply to"

edit on 15/7/2011 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join