It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is all the fuss about?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
This is either a really bad troll attempt... or you really have no grasp on reality.

Oil spewing into the gulf = bad
sea life being contaminated = bad
1 million + gallons of Corex dumped into the ocean = bad
fissures in sea floor over a huge oil deposit = very bad
peoples lives in the gulf region being destroyed = bad

An already dead terrorist mastermind hiding in a cave = phoney ooga booga tactics.

Seriously... you can't be that naive.

I believe it's a bad troll. The whole bit about the war on terror and the environmentalists trying to divert us from that so called war should be a big clue.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Is this Rush??

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

then I took the bait BIG-time.... well looking at some responses I guess there are still people out there down-playing this whole thing... maybe it wasnt a total waste of time...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Finally, we have made contact with life from another planet people!!!

There is life out there, and the UFO people were right....

cause there just ain't know way that you can really have even a flicker of the human emotion and spirit in your entire being if you believe what your thread states!

Tens of thousands of AMERICANS have lost their jobs + plus the damage to the environment = You don't care.

Well, Welcome to Earth...now go home!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
No really man (OP), there is a difference between trying to keep the fear mongering and sensationalism at bay and what you did here.

What you did here was perpetuate the idea that anyone who tries to inject rationality into some of these discussions must think just like you do, and therefore good info and insights get dismissed.

If you do nothing else to educate yourself about these things (which you greatly need), at least click my signature link. That isn't CGI my friend.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Some people just don't get things until things smack them in the head. Problem is, by then it's too late. Danger is that they stand in the way of those who do get things. But then again, maybe Montana will someone remain unaffected by all this forever. Wonder how many "terrorists" there are there

[edit on 7/16/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

When replying, I usually quote the prededing post for context but yours doesn't bear repeating. So, let's do the math.Yeah, it's not a huge % of the ocean's volume but it is about 5 x10^8 gallons. Or 4 X10^9 pounds. Oops - have to go metric so it's 8 x 10 12 grams. 1 mole of average crude is roughly 400 grams, so that is very roughly 14 x 10^33 molecules of oil.
It's more impressive when not in exponential notation, so, that is 14,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules. That is, as we say in Kentucky, a gob of goo.
Volumetrically, it is about 60 million cubic feet of oil. A good average thickness for a long chain oil molecule, by experiment, is 0.00000833 mm. So the volume of 60 million cubic feet is 1.2 million meters by 1.2 million meters by 1.2 million meters. You can get 144,000 slices .00000833mm thick out of the cube and each slice is about 1.44 million square meters or 1440 square kilometers for each slice. That is a blanket of oil of measurable thickness covering 207 million square kilometers. That's 129 million square miles of oil. That's 3 times the area of the entire Atlantic Ocean. Of course, in some places it will be thicker but I'm not sure that's good news.
You said you live in Montana. If you took all the oil and spread it evenly over Montana, it would be about 14,000 feet thick. Still think it's no big deal.
The unstated assumptions are:
Oil weighs 8 lbs/gal
8 gallons in a cubic foot.
total spill 480,000,000 gallons.

Oh yeah, EPA says oil is toxic at 11 ppm. So that is 5.45,000,000,000,000 gallons of water now toxic.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

I don't mean to upset anyone.

60000 barrels a day?

I wish people would stop getting hysterical about a little oil gushing out.

I am just trying to put it in perspective.

look at this from an official source.

"The area of the World Ocean is 361×106 km2 (139×106 mi2)[7] Its volume is approximately 1.3 billion cubic kilometres (310 million cu mi).[8] This can be thought of as a cube of water with an edge length of 1,111 kilometres (690 mi). Its average depth is 3,790 metres (12,430 ft), and its maximum depth is 10,923 metres (6.787 mi)[7] Nearly half of the world's marine waters are over 3,000 metres (9,800 ft) deep.[4] The vast expanses of deep ocean (anything below 200 metres (660 ft) cover about 66% of the Earth's surface.[9] This does not include seas not connected to the World Ocean, such as the Caspian Sea.
The total mass of the hydrosphere is about 1,400,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons (1.5×1018 short tons) or 1.4×1021 kg"

en.wikipedia.org...

Your 60000 barrels is nothing compared to that...it is not even a faucet it is literally a drop in the ocean.

I think there is just too much media inspired hysteria about this.

For your information I don't go fishing with my son It is very boring.I don't even like fish that much, it has a mushy taste and it stinks awful. I just have the occasional fish and chips and if I wanted fish I just go to Walmart.

All these creatures you keep going about I don't really want to see them in person.They are quite dangerous and many died from their stings.

Plenty of them on Discovery channel safely behind a thick glass screen.

I don't see what so special about turtles.They are an evolutionary dead end.
Maybe you like turtle soup but I have never tasted it or even want to.

It is the same way for all.

As my Uncle Ted says If you can't cope with change you die or are extinct.Simple.

That why White Man triumphed against the Red Indians.They could not compete with our technological prowess and our ambition and drive.

They were content to ride on their horses and never advanced.

Man is the top dog on this planet.We have advanced.The oil spill is nothing as I proved above compared to the total volume ocean.

Your figures for thousands of lost jobs makes no sense.The jobs are not lost really as other jobs have been created in their place by the fanatics going on about this clean up which I don't agree with anyway.

Also your poo pooing of the Terror Threat is dangerous as everyday on the news terrorists blowing up people.Just imagine if these people were over here.

You would not be so complacent then and we must remain vigilant against these barbarians and not waver from our fight against Terror.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Good god, you *are* serious aren't you? Wow, I honestly did not believe people like you truely existed. I just thought it was a hyperbole used to make a point.

For the record, Homo sapiens are animals. We are also omnivores and are deeply entrenched IN our environment not above it. We are very adaptive, yes. That is why we have been able to grow in technology and population by so much (although we by no means the largest population of a single species on this planet.. far from it).

Aside from that, though, humans are not some supoer being that can live on no matter what. Everything in this closed ecosystem is connected. A single fish dies, no big deal. 100K fish die, and a local food chain is disrupted. Those 100K fish dying all of the sudden can cause a sharp increase in the population of microorganisms that decay flesh. These microorganisms in turn remove all of the oxygen from a large area of water (apoxia). This causes additional biosphere collapse. The cycle grows exponetialy (actually, if I remember my biology classes correctly,. it is actually a logaryhmathic expansion).

In this case, the layer of oil on the surface of the water is not only toxic to certain organisms chemically, it also increases the number of hydrocarbon eating microbes on the surface. This pushes out plankton and uses up the oxygen (again apoxia). Enough of this going deep enough will cause a biosphere collapse.

So the next argument might be "so what, I don't eat fish and I get my food from walmart". Well, you might not eat fish, but other people do. In addition, other animals eat those fish. These animals also contribute to the food chain and through various connections help maintain our vegetable crops. America still produces more vegetable crops than most (if not all) of the 1st world nations.

If we have problems with our crops due to a collapse of the biosphere in the gulf, then the burden will be shifted on other countries who are not geared up for it. Ultimately, we end up with massive global starvation and food rationing. I gues this will take care of the "nightlife" you mentioned in another thread, though.

Basically the big deal is we are not an island unto ourselves. We are part of a larger and much more complicated organism that has no problem whatsoever with exterminating all of us if the need arises.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

Your 60000 barrels is nothing compared to that...it is not even a faucet it is literally a drop in the ocean.

You are trying to be scientific, I get it. You need context for your argument.

Yes. If someone put half of one drop of sulfuric acid in your eye, you would survive and the majority of your body would be fine.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Do you even know how much water is tainted by just one quart of oil and not to mention that it will manage to circulate to other bodies of water. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it eventually wont.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Besides being from another planet, your last post answers the next question, what planet are you from?

Answer: Uranus

60,000 BPD might be small part of the entire planet's water, but it is a HUGE amount for the Gulf of Mexico.

As an Army Airborne veteran who served in the Middle East, I had a very close hand look at terrorism sir. We must be vigilant, which I was for three years of my life, defending our Country. However, your logic regarding the transfer of jobs to the clean-up sector, and lack of education in regards to importance of every part of the eco-system is astounding (even turtles).

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I am sorry for whatever has happened to you in your life "nobodysavedyou" so you don't want to save any body or
anything?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think one of my favorite sayings is appropriate here & that is......

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

nobodysavedme is obviously lacking brains & definitely has no heart.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

I don't mean to upset anyone.

tell that to the family's of the men who are already falling seriously ill fromcleaning up the oil in the GOM

60000 barrels a day?

This is actually a low estimate and may be much greater, anyway alot of posters have very adequately explained why a rather small spill can still have a devastating effect.

I am just trying to put it in perspective.
look at this from an official source.

"The area of the World Ocean is 361×106 km2.......................
en.wikipedia.org...

For the correct response to this bit I'll refer you to the poster above this original post of your own made by: 4nsicphd

I think there is just too much media inspired hysteria about this.

And the funny thing is...... They Are Keeping A big Lid On Things. Did
you catch any of those talks about reporters being banned to shoot pictures of the spill. they'd be fined and put in jail.

Your figures for thousands of lost jobs makes no sense.The jobs are not lost really as other jobs have been created in their place by the fanatics going on about this clean up which I don't agree with anyway.

Also your poo pooing of the Terror Threat is dangerous as everyday on the news terrorists blowing up people.Just imagine if these people were over here.

You would not be so complacent then and we must remain vigilant against these barbarians and not waver from our fight against Terror.

Im assuming you're pretty new here on ATS...

You should really read up a bit...

[edit on 16/7/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well there is a real big difference with this oil-problem and all the others before.. It is the first time lots of people really care, but that is what is happening if it is in your own backyard..

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Trolls like this should be sent down to the bts wrant forum...

There is no conspiracy proposed , no new information, its just a silly attempt to rile people up in my opinion...

*GONG*

/em Looks around for the mod with a hook on a pole

~meathead

edit to add sound effect

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
At last, a thread in this forum with some common sense and well done, OP for posting and putting up with the the typically posts that attack you. Something that is far too common on ATS these days.

And like you, I do think there is far too much hysteria on this and would people would get so vexed about the rape of our planet in countries other than North American.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
To the OP:

The oil is from US oil reserves field!.. yeaa, its from
Bayou Choctaw - Baton Rouge, Louisiana SPR salt caverns. Yep thats the conspiracy. Its an accident, got to blame somebody, BP being just there got to get the blame, later years they will have new oil fields, complimentary from Obama, for taking the blame.

What it mean to you ? nothing much actually, except food price gonna be higher, cost of living and oh yeah the live crab that you boil will no longer be there. haha enjoy your day.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RainCloud

Please explain and provide some evidence to your claim that food price gonna be higher, so will the cost of living?

And there are many places in the world that are not effected by the GoM oil spill that produce crab.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join