It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM Mosquito’s in the fight against malaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Most of us are aware of the devastating effects Malaria has in developing nations...

250 Million infected every year with 1 million deaths...

Scientist in Arizona now think that they have a solution in the form of a genetically modified mosquito.

A novel weapon in the battle against malaria has been developed by scientists: the malaria-proof mosquito.

Researchers at the University of Arizona have created a genetically modified insect that is incapable of transmitting the disease to humans.

www.independent.co.uk... .html

www.bbc.co.uk...

Basically they have increased the Mosquito’s own immune system and reduced its life span (Malaria is normally passed on by the older mosquito’s)

This to pronged attack against Malaria sounds great... but i have reservations... Whenever we seem to meddle with nature there are unforeseen consequences.

I realise the huge benefits this could have... but worry about the adverse effects... Only time will tell!

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Perhaps this is in the article... but how in God's name do they intend to replace the wild-type mosquitoes with the GM ones???

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

They've been working on this for years now.

Let's just hope some evil bright spark doesn't decide to engineer them to carry ebola or plague or some other hideous virus or disease eh.

Wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Yeah now that IS a scary thought...

I read somewhere that the Japanese experimented with plague infected fleas during their campaign into china in the 1930's.

Apparently they loaded the bomb bays of planes with these infected creatures and dropped them over villages... Once the fleas bit their victims the plague would begin... Truly horrible

top topics

join