It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Stimulus Package give you a job?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is more a poll than an actual post, mostly because I'm curious.

Did the Stimulus Package get you a job? Did the Stimulus Package save your job?

It just occured to me, while watching a financial news report, that I personally do not know a single individual, who a job was "created" for, or for that matter had thier job "saved".

I figure there are tens of thousands of Americans on this site, so I truly wanted to know.

I am by no means saying that this did not happen for anybody, I just want some proof, from at least one real human being, that the Stimulus did Anything.

If it did not apply to you, do you personally know anybody who it did effect?

If any of you answer yes:

Was the job full time and permanent?

Are you still in this job?

Just trying to do a fact check.

Thank you, and look forward to your replies,

-Dreamwalker 74

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I was out of work for 2 years but managed to get a job about 3 months ago. It pays half of what I used to make.. but a jobs a job.

I know 100% for a fact though, that it had nothing to do with the "stimulus package" at all. I know absolutely no one who benefited from it, or found a job because of it.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Congatulations on doing it yourself. Now you are paying the taxes to pay for the Stimulus.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The stimulus package was like a mugger taking my wallet and giving me 5 dollars back.

I was laid off in 2008 and have been forced to contract since. Everyone says "at least you found something" and then proceed to go back on farm-ville, tweet crap about Mel Gibson, talk about survivor and charge their new iGod device.

If people cared about anything other than their slavery balls and chains then suffering would end quickly.

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

I agree, I feel mugged. Do you know ANYBODY who has benefited from this?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I find the Stimulus to be equivalent to an all-night bender on the bottle...

It's expensive & you wind up with a headache, but you don't even get to feel like you got any benefit from the cost.

I wish the politicians would just go to Nevada...Then get drunk to spend THEIR OWN money instead of mine.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
In a word - NOPE!!! In fact, I know of NO ONE who has either received or was able to keep their job as a result of the stimulus money. To add insult to injury, I was laid off last November and have been unemployed ever since. I have sent out over 700 resumes and have only received interviews from 4 companies. In each case the company hired someone much younger with much less experience and, I'm assuming, for much less money!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

Great analogy.

Ok I think even the Obama admin more or less gave up and saying the stimulus created jobs. Now they are just down to saying that it saved jobs, which is a really great marketing ploy since you could say you saved as many jobs as you want because how can anybody count a saved job.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightDStroyer

If it could be proven to me by an actual human being, that the Stimulus affected their lives in a possitive manner, I would think differently of it. Please if you have time, ask your friends/ family, if they personally know anyone who was possitively affected by this spending bill. Thank you for your reply.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Nope, the stimulus hasn't done a damn bit of good for myself, or anybody else that I know. I finally found a new job just a few weeks ago, but only because I knew someone and had an 'in' there.

Not that any of this is surprising, anyone with an ounce of good sense knew that the stimulus wasn't going to change a thing.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Something that worked for me, is that I would write, send out and post (anti-resumes). You skip the traditional resume format completely. You write a simple one page letter, like you are writing to a pen pal, actually talking about yourself. Start by saying you are writing an anti-resume, because resumes are too impersonal and you didn't want to bore them. Yes talk about where you are, what you have done, and what you have accomplished in the past. Let them truly know who you are. This way not only do you stand out from the rest of the sheep. You are bound to find a job that is better for you. The job market is way to tough right now, to continue to hand in resume after resume. Step out of the box, stand out, and be noticed. What do you have to lose?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Did the stimulus package give me a job? The package only served to stimulate the whackjobs who thought of it.
Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I am one of those "small businesses" that it was suppose to help. I have not hired or fired anyone, I have not really received any tax breaks to help me with hiring either. The only thing that the stimulus has resulted in is more highway signs that say "the stimulus is improving your street, etc. etc.".

This is the only example that I have heard that has actually created jobs. They spent 15 million dollars on these highway signs and created 17 jobs to make them. The breakdown that I heard was that it cost the taxpayers about $10,000 a sign. Awesome....

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I work for a small business, a sole proprietorship. This business is a consignment store and I have seen business pick up recently. People have begun to buy stuff once again. There is no way I can point to the stimulus and say that is the reason why....there is no way I can point to any one factor and say that is why. We are still a small business and we still have to work our butts off trying to stay afloat, but it has gotten better.

In case the relevancy isn't obvious: my job has been spared. For now

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I went and stimulus- ed my own danged self (Keep them minds outta the gutter). Finding work is impossible- being on disability makes it completely impossible to get even part time. I have taken what talent I DO have, and I dumped it into making stuff and trying (note that word... trying) to make money online. So far, not much, but I am learning 3d and how to make stuff. I found '5 ways to make money with Blender'- while only 2 right now fit my talent level.... It's still something. Right now, it's nothing, but it's still a try.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by JackCash]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
NOPE!!!!

I ws laid off last march and have been having touble finding any type of work. I've been stuck doing temp jobs here and there in between collecting unemployment.

I went from around $17.00 per hour to $10.00 and my Mortgage and Cars are in Jeopardy.

The only thing I recieved was an extra $25 per week from the so called stimulus from Obama.

FML!!!

[edit on 16-7-2010 by JackCash]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
Did the Stimulus Package get you a job? Did the Stimulus Package save your job?

Yes. I got a job directly because of the stimulus. Before that, I was unemployed for about 9 months.

Was the job full time and permanent?

Permanent.

Are you still in this job?

Yes

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Nutter - Glad you are working. What industry are you working in? Just curious.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Stimulus
A short play by Shadowflux

Rich Business Owner: Oh, jeez, the economy is awful and my business is doing poorly, I could really use some financial help.

Government: Ok, we can help you with that, we'll just divert a small percentage of the money we take from the citizens, divert it to you and call it a "Stimulus Package"

*Government hands RBO a large chunk of cash*

RBO: Wow, neat, thanks Gov, I better hold on to this money, just in case the economy gets real bad. If it continues to get worse I can always just cut overhead by firing a few people, removing benefits, and decreasing the hours they work and I won't have to worry about losing my condo or my vacation house thanks to this "Stimulus Package"!!

Gov: Yeah, whatever. Listen, I've got a big shipment of drugs coming in and they get a little paranoid around new people so if you don't mind getting out of here

RBO: That's cool, I think I'm gonna take a vacation, thanks again!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join