It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaria-proof mosquito engineered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Scientists in the US have succeeded in genetically engineering a malaria-resistant mosquito. The researchers, from the University of Arizona, introduced a gene that affected the insect's gut, meaning the malaria parasite could not develop

www.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 16-7-2010 by tommyb0y]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Can't they just engineer a kill gene? What do we need mosquitoes for anyway? I'm sure bats, frogs, and dragonflies can find something else to eat.

Those damn mosquitoes are soooo aggressive this year, and so big I was starting to worry they ate the frogs .....

There's a gazillion of them

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

interestingly, crowding out fertile males with infertile ones was tested with good success on bot flies, so there are ways to get rid of them already.

if properly tested and done with appropriate diligence, this approach sounds promising, imho and it wouldn't require constant breeding of zillions of infertile males, which must be kind of expensive.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

Ahh damn you beat me to it

This is a major development and a further proof that science will further our general well being. I hope this is a success but if it is not then someone else will find something that works. The day that malaria is destroyed will be fantastic and worthy of a Noble prize.

new topics

top topics

join