It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Sperm Gene Hasn't Changed for 600 Million Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

This DNA is shared across species and seems 'so important it can't change,' researcher says

I am curious when the dots will be connected on this one.

If the gene hasn't changed in 600 million years? How old is humanity.

For me this is as interesting as the chicken and egg thread going on.

How do you throw a number like this out when carbon dating is suspect beyond 10k years of so?

Source

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

This is the first clear evidence that suggests our ability to produce sperm is very ancient, probably originating at the dawn of animal evolution 600 million years ago.

sperms are around for 600 mio years, started with animal sperms.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
humans were not around 600,000,000 years ago. maybe sperm in general hasnt changed. that long ago our ancestors were something like a lemming, but obviously not that. hell if people were around THAT long we'd have evolved to be able to impregnate ourselves, screw all the talk and pretending you like watching Friends reruns

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The article is ambiguous as best.

I am curious what the point of making the claim is worth?

Seems that there are too many theories in science there days.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
hell if people were around THAT long we'd have evolved to be able to impregnate ourselves, screw all the talk and pretending you like watching Friends reruns

this is gonna be my new signature!

second line.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

You're implying things that aren't in the article.

Think of the sperm that have been around for 600 million years like a little "space shuttle".

The space shuttles have empty cargo bays that you can put different payloads into. The Hubble Space Telescope was one payload, other payloads have included other satellites.

In the sperm analogy, the payload could be human DNA, Chimp DNA, Bonobo DNA, etc. So the shuttle or sperm, delivery mechanism is the same, but the payload (genetic package) inside is different.

At least that's how I read it. So just because human type sperm have been around for 600 million years, doesn't mean that humans have been around for 600 million years.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

That is a great analogy.

Thanks for the perspective.

I love that people can bring so many perspectives to reduce the level of uncertainty.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
In light of watching the Ancient Aliens series, I personaly feel Mars
and Earth were seeded and colonized. Mar was probably closer to Earth before it was hit by an asteroid killing everone and knocking it into it's present day orbit. Hence the sphinx and the face on Mars looking very similar. We received Mars water from this event. I still believe in God and the devine creation of one mind to everything. Ever notice how most creatures only have two eyes? Its like an devine artist decided everything has a similar thrend/theme.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by zroth

You're implying things that aren't in the article.

Think of the sperm that have been around for 600 million years like a little "space shuttle".

The space shuttles have empty cargo bays that you can put different payloads into. The Hubble Space Telescope was one payload, other payloads have included other satellites.

In the sperm analogy, the payload could be human DNA, Chimp DNA, Bonobo DNA, etc. So the shuttle or sperm, delivery mechanism is the same, but the payload (genetic package) inside is different.

At least that's how I read it. So just because human type sperm have been around for 600 million years, doesn't mean that humans have been around for 600 million years.

That has to be one of the best analogies I've seen on this site. I can visualize tiny sperm shaped space ships with their cargo bay doors open for the payload! Brilliant!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
You hear that kids?

Quit wasting your 600 million year old space shuttles they are very important!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This thread is proof that any topic can end up anywhere.

Cheers.

I am still curious how long humanity has really been around.

top topics

join