It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is Happening :: Global Consciousness Project

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian

I agree the output of the GCP is interesting. But I question the way the data is presented as the inferred conclusions do not appear to me to be scientifically legitimate. Even as uneducated as I am in the area, I can see that the ol' cliché "correlation does not equal causation" applies here. And the quote I mentioned in the previous post about why this phenomenon would be isolated to these "eggs" and not any other electronic equipment is, to me, a very appropriate question to ask.

Last point first.

www.thetulsageek.com...

Question: How are computers and toasters alike?

Answer: Except for the toaster, they both have hard drives and lots of other delicate electronic parts. But they both do "eat" electricity. Toasters don't mind the short term "jolts", electrical surges provided by our electric companies that enter the toaster unexpectedly. With "choppy" or steady current you will still have your toast. Power surges don't bother toasters at all.

Computers, however are "fussy", sensitive to the quality of the electricity that they are fed by their owners. Depending on the size of a power surge it can be tolerated by your computer parts or it can cause one or more of them to be overloaded causing parts to be fried, to burn out and stop working. Surges that bother a computer are nothing at all to a toaster.

So even though power surges (which are measurable) dont effect all electronic devices the same, you expect that "global consciousness" would?

Mind you, I am not saying they ARE measuring global consciousness. I dont know. They may not be measuring anything for all I know.

And absolutely correlation does not equal causation, and there is a problem going backwards into your data and picking events and looking for moves away from random, as well. (Data mining) It would be much nicer if they were predictive. It would also be nice to see the data laid out in such a way that you could see all the moves from random that had NO known correlation to any world event. But..............the data is all there. And we are welcome to take the time to sift through it all, and do just that.

I dont mind that he brings up good points. I dont mind skepticism at all. I am not a bandwagon person myself. I much prefer to keep an open mind and take a wait and see approach. However, some of what I read on Skeptoid didnt really seem like constructive criticism to me. It just seemed like mockery.

It would be one thing if "consciousness" were something easily measured, and relatively well known, (like electricity) and a group of people were just butchering the data out of carelessness or to hoax. These guys are trying to invent a way of measuring something we dont yet know how to measure, how to quantify. I think the scorn is a tad early. I had to study the history of science for my major, and if you do, you will realize that mistaken assumptions, bad methodology, etc., are often par for the course when trying to measure something currently unmeasurable.

They are making their data available. And their methodology. Anyone who cares to run the numbers in a different way can do so. They dont seem to me to be committing any fraud, and I personally dont know how anyone can expect them to know right off the bat how to measure "global consciousness." I expect trial and error. And I am interested, and watching, now that I know what they are up to.

We are still trying to figure out how to quantify consciousness in the individual, so what really can we expect? I wouldnt encourage you to "believe in this" what does belief have to do with science, really? Save hinder it? I am not a "believer." Even in "known facts." Mostly because of Poppers argument. We can never rule out hidden variables. That is just as true of conventional science as it is with this research.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I appreciate that post. Thanks. Nothing I disagree with. My only thing is that of all the things to correlate a phenomenon with, why pick global consciousness? Was/Is there anything that implies that this phenomenon connects with global consciousness versus the infinite-seeming amount of other things it could be, if indeed there is a measurable statistical anomaly that does indeed correspond to something else?

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

I would say the answer to that is that each person should just follow their muse. Wherever it may lead them, and no matter what scorn them may encounter in the process. Why does any creative tread off into the unknown?

People achieve excellence by following their interests, their passion. Of course following your passion doesnt guarantee excellence. But doing things you have no interest in sure comes close to guaranteeing mediocrity.

I personally am intrigued with the idea of a global consciousness. If a collection of cells can somehow magically achieve a "consciousness" what is so ridiculous about the idea that a collection of beings could also achieve a consciousness? What is more magical about the idea that a planet (which is a collection of beings, elements, etc) could become conscious than the idea that a collection of cells could? It has occurred to me that the way the web is forming is similar to the way neurons in a babies brain, (not exactly of course) form during gestation. Perhaps once we hit some critical mass and the connections are all there consciousness will arise? One scientist who isnt being mocked suggests that human consiousness is the coordinated activity of the whole brain.

www.newscientist.com...

First, there was an increase in the voltage levels of the signals in their brains. Second, the frequency and phase of neurons firing in different parts of the brain seemed to synchronise. Then some of these synchronised signals appeared to be triggering others. For example, activity in the occipital lobe seemed to cause activity in the frontal lobe.

Because this activity only occurred in volunteers when they were aware of the words, Gaillard's team argue that it constitutes a consciousness signature. As much of this activity was spread across the brain, they say that consciousness has no single "seat". "Consciousness is more a question of dynamics, than of a local activity," says Gaillard.

Although we do have reports of "conscious awareness" with NO brain activity, from some NDE, with people reporting things that they "saw and heard" doctors doing after they were technically dead, so who knows if the above scientist is right. They are trying to study to see if consciousness can be measured objectively right now, results to come, with the "Awareness Project."

It's the consistency of the experiences, the reality of what they were describing. I managed to speak to doctors and nurses who had been present who said these patients had told them exactly what had happened, and they couldn't explain it. I actually documented a few of those in my book What Happens When We Die because I wanted people to get both angles —not just the patients' side but also the doctors' side — and see how it feels for the doctors to have a patient come back and tell them what was going on. There was a cardiologist that I spoke with who said he hasn't told anyone else about it because he has no explanation for how this patient could have been able to describe in detail what he had said and done. He was so freaked out by it that he just decided not to think about it anymore.

Read more: www.time.com...

Perhaps the a planetary consciousness will arise in a similar way, once we are all connected properly, each individual acting as a "brain cell" and our communications network acting as the "neural network." Who knows? Its interesting to speculate about.

In any case, what are we at all without consciousness. Meat. Just meat. It is so important to us, such an integral part of us, who cares how people choose to study it? What matters is that they are studying it. (As I see it.) I am prepared for lots of misses before we get some good hits. For me, thats what keeps science interesting.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
so, over all, counting every single time results have been observed, not just looking at tragic or wonderful events as catalysts, is it more red or blue? i understand where this is coming from. but if it was one color, adding and averaging every observance so far all in one, i'd bet it would be green. meaning its all average?

can someone get that color and let me know. cause i'm leaning more in the direction of not too much significance here. like i said i understand it but randomness isnt uniform. but the whole of everything, i bet 50 bucks, is perfectly average.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I'm not sure if you guys remember a couple years back when this topic was being discussed in depth on coast-to-coast. That was the first time that I had heard of this experiment. Needless to say I found the implications of such technology quite unnerving. I called that night and got through for the first time ever. My question "What direction will this study take us when, not if... but when, a super-computer is developed with the processing speed necessary to not only interpret the patterns generated by these EGGS in real- time, but to use this data to calculate future events so accurately that a sort of time machine would be created. If information could be sent into the past and interpreted even on a rudimentary it would be catastrophic in terms of conserving free-will. My fear was that this could be the ultimate tool of control if it fell into the wrong hands. What do you guys think on the possibility of this becoming a weapon use to hinder freedom?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingdave
reply to post by SomethinHelpUs

All we are doing is measuring random number generators to see if they swing away from random, and then try to collate that with news events.

See? They are random number generators. They should always be random. If they are not, then there must be a reason. If one generator goes off, that is a fluke. If most/all of them do, that is a statistical trend too far from chance to be chance.

Notable examples of when they swung away from random:

1. Death of Princes Diana

2. Diana's Japanese State Memorial (Japan only)

3. Sept. 11th. Swung away 4 days before and stayed there many days after.

4. Xmas 2004 earthquake.

5. The various "global consciouness" events.

As for more in-depth explanations, please refer to my posts in this thread starting on page 6.

-Kingdave
A Keep of an Egg on the GCP network.

but what of those (or any other) pattern of variances are similar to this one we are witnessing now?

or are we witnessing an exceptional variance? how out of the ordinary *is* this variance from randomness?? (the one we are witnessing right now)

do we have anything to compare this to or are we just waiting to see if this is going to turn into an "event" or not?

what is the likelihood that this WILL turn into some kind of event of some magnitude, somewhere?!

sorry, i'm buzzed a bit...and i have questions that need answered!
heh

seriously though, i read before that this is really significant and when variances like this are witnessed an event does occur.

can anyone, you, confirm?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
So this is partly in response to a member who had said they had seen the types of variances that are going on right now on a common basis.

Except for a short period of time, in the last 24 hours, the gcpdot has been in the red almost constantly. I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with the GCP could let me know if this indeed is a common phenomenon. thanks.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by beansanmash]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmikmonkey

However... I STRONGLY encourage anyone who wants to know more about what’s around the corner, in terms of disaster and if and how to prepare, to go get a report and start reading.

I wish I didn’t sound like a “fear monger” - I prefer to be called a “get prepared monger”.

You can call it what you want. The fact is that you subscribe to the idea that things are going to get really bad, which is exactly what the Illuminati wants you to think. Why do you think its all bad news on the TV and never anything positive and uplifting?

Its going to be alright. Stop being afraid and your entire energy will change. Remember that perception creates your reality.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Its going to be alright. Stop being afraid and your entire energy will change. Remember that perception creates your reality.

Copernicus has a very good point, I remember I had a period a few years ago where I lost focus on being succesful at school etc.. because I constantly had a voice in the back of my head that said, 'dont worry, just coast it out for a while longer it'll all change anyway.'

then I realized, so what if everything changes in 2012, its just a hunch, and there is a good chance that nothing will change, so in the meantime, why shouldn't I try to be as succesful as I can in this life, and why shouldn't I still make it a point to live as much as I can while I can?

Its always interesting to look at things like these and imagine there is some kind of greater picture out there, but it is never a good reason to stop trying to live as much as you can at this moment and make the most of it all.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beansanmash

exactly.
and make a real effort at being the change you want to see.
very uplifting and very contagious

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

All the data is available at the site:

noosphere.princeton.edu...

Look at the Main Menu down the left side of the page.

Some of it is raw data that you'd need a degree in statistics to interpret, but there is a lot of processed data there as well that anyone can read if they want to "dig in" and study it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
GCP makes a tiny amount of sense. But I didn't need it to work out the accelerating rate of change. The big event that is happening right about now is us. We are awakening, and learning at a previously unforseen rate. Technology and drugs can no longer keep us in a bubble, we are out of control. People we have to realise this and really make some cool decisions. TPTB are in panic mode and are prepared to do anything justifiable in their dark history to cut us down like you would prune a tree. We need to quit the crap and notice what we really want from life and why the hell we were born and who the people we love and associate with really are. Something damn big is happening and life isn't waiting for us to theorise about it all. We are in the mess now its time to be who we really are. Don't bellitle yourself, you are all awesome. Don't fear the bullocks it cannot hurt you unless you let it. Your minds are ready and healthy for anything at any rate. Geronimo! X marks the spot...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
For those that keep asking, all things being equal, the chart should stay pretty uch in the green swinging randomly up and down from center. Periodically you will see shifts to the red area (and somewhat less commonly) the blue area but they go back to the green fairly quickly.

As I've said, I've been a daily watcher of the GCP for several years. I've seen all sorts of patterns play out. The last few days have been, in my experience, distinctly unusual in the amount of time it has stayed in the red. I've not persnally seen anything quite this dramatic on GCP.

What casues it? Who knows for sure? There are theories and the project's name carries some of the early theories (circa 1980s) of what was at-work. But whatever is affecting these REGs is not random and is external and for some reason tends to often precede major social/cultural events.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Reaching into the blue. Everyone focus on the ability to create reality by our collective thoughts. Let's see if we can keep it in the blue for a while.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This graph is somewhat startling:

noosphere.princeton.edu...

The red line shows the difference from the expected amount of variation in data since the project started.

The red line should be snaking around the dotted black line, a bit above it, a bit below it, but instead it seems as if the unpredicted behavior of the random number generators is proceeding along at an almost predictable rate.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Soo what does the graph tell us today?
anything new?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Going by what I have gathered from what everyone has said about the green red and blue, and assuming the eggs really are measuring consciousness, and that the assumptions about what red and blue indicate are correct, that we are thinking right now.

If Red is emotional response, (which we have been having a lot of the last couple days,) and blue is focused thought and intent, we are focusing our thoughts and intentions at the moment.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Some of it is raw data that you'd need a degree in statistics to interpret

i guess if i were "smart" enough to interpret the data i'm looking at i wouldn't have asked the question.

i figured that instead of telling me to look at the data (which is common sense) that someone could inform all those wondering (and there seems to be several, not just myself)
of what events this pattern mimics or comes closet to.

or is there an actual link you can send me of the page where the data and tables actually look like the data on the main GCP.com page....other than that i have no idea how to compare those graphs to what i'm seeing right now.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Some of it is raw data that you'd need a degree in statistics to interpret

i guess if i were "smart" enough to interpret the data i'm looking at i wouldn't have asked the question.

i figured that instead of telling me to look at the data (which is common sense) that someone could inform all those wondering (and there seems to be several, not just myself)
of what events this pattern mimics or comes close to.

or is there an actual link you can send me of the page where the data and tables actually look like the data on the main GCP.com page....other than that i have no idea how to compare those graphs to what i'm seeing right now.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by double_frick]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There was just an earth quake in New Guinea and now a tsunami warning for Indonesia. Could be?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join