It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Twain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Still - I don't feel content until I add some stuff. Some "serious" stuff. That's how I feel - I see "serious stuff" happening around so I get "serious". Later - maybe I will laugh at these things, now I cant.

There's Huck Finn, and Miss Watson trying to teach him "manners". Why ? "Manners" come naturally when people are free to grow up. Not when locked in those cages, and taught using manuals. That means nothing. The first time they will be free - they will act like very little children - because their growth was denied. I'm not talking about mass, height or age...
Here:
Free people
The cages: Against school

But... What ? There is somehow a sense of "evolution", of "progress" - when we endure stuff, else we would be just lazy, good for nothing, "animals". That's not true. Free people - seek or invent "challenges". We keep our children "safe", and present them with false challenges, like - killing them with boredom and say "that's for progress". That's false. It's because the world is a prison, even if we have all the knowledge in the world - children will have to fight among themselves - for a job. That's why we train them to accept boredom. Also - boredom transforms them. Into the "mall iPhone people" - seeking - even they don't know what ....

Free people are never bored, still they seek- "a sense".

Is there, deep under the accumulated debris of culture, a hidden groundwork of the old-time savage? Is there even in these well-regulated times an unsubdued nature in the respectable mental household of every one of us that still kicks against the pricks of law and order?

To make my meaning more clear, would not every boy, for instance—that is, every boy of any account—rather be a pirate captain than a Member of Parliament?

"Stupid children"
They're not stupid. They still know what life is about - experiences, fun. They are not "Hannibal Lecter". They don't want to join the pirates for "evil purposes". Want to see evil - look at the machines that designed the slave ships. At the corporation owners that pay fines - after poisoning people and even then, they try to have them lowered. This is what our thinking of "control" creates.

Here's a story The Sioux

We think life is about a "job", "safety" and so on. No. We too - have been domesticated. We accepted all this because we were afraid.
Two more links:
The Machine in our heads
Ascent of humanity

Young people know it most certainly; we call that knowledge idealism. They know that there is a way the world is supposed to be, and a magnificent role for themselves in that more beautiful world. Broken to the lesser lives we offer them, they react with hostility, rage, cynicism, depression, escapism, or self-destruction—all the defining qualities of modern adolescence. Then we blame them for not bringing these qualities under control, and when they finally have given up their idealism we call them mature. Having given up their idealism, they can get on with the business of survival: practicality and security, comfort and safety, which is what we are left with in the absence of purpose. So we suggest they major in something practical, stay out of trouble, don't take risks, build a résumé. We think we are practical and wise in the ways of the world. Really we are just broken and afraid. We are afraid on their behalf, and, less nobly, we are afraid of what their idealism shows us: the plunder and betrayal of our own youthful possibilities. The recovery of purpose, the acceptance of teleology into the language of science, promises whether directly or metaphorically to undo all of that.

This false self is observable in the frozen facial expressions, stereotypic gestures, and unexamined behavioral patterns of the general public. This false self determines much of our everyday lives, so that we are seldom the origin of our actions.

Remember what Huck did - about Jim:
Thinking with your heart

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

- Albert Einstein

I am must say - if I was there (instead of Huck - at that age) - I would have turned Jim in. I was a "nerd" - and (almost) totally domesticated.

See this story:
Denial of life
Do you expect that boy to grow up - and become a "moral" person, and so on ? We all go trough that - more or less. Free people - grow up free. Always at their full potential, never bored. When they become adults - they have no artificial needs or invented "feelings" or all our "mental problems"

The Continuum Concept

"Deciding what another person should do, no matter what his age, is outside the Yequana vocabulary of behaviors. There is great interest in what everyone does, but no impulse to influence – let alone coerce –anyone. A child's will is his motive force. There is no slavery – for how else can one describe imposing one's will on another and coercion by threat or punishment? The Yequana do not feel that a child's inferior physical strength and dependence upon them imply that they should treat him or her with less respect than an adult. "

"The strangest and most unrealistic part of our child rearing beliefs is that our antisocial and asocial behavior toward them is supposed to make them into loving social beings. We are unable to recognize that our violence (hitting, which includes spanking), sublimated violence (punishment, which includes isolation and the withdrawal of love and affection], and parental emotional detachment (discipline), all of which are intrinsic to our child rearing methods, become children's model for future relationships. Our children are chiefly influenced in their development by who we are in relation to them, not by who we think we are or who we pretend to be. Children who are reared in our conventional ways (many of which are identical to the ways convicts, prisoners of war, and slaves have been treated throughout history), learn from the way that they are treated by their parents that it is appropriate to harm other people, to be emotionally detached from the pain of others, and that it is perfectly all right to impose one's will on other people. In short they are instructed, by example, how to be a psychopathic personality or at least to behave as one."

The freedom of the individual was regarded by practically all Indians north of Mexico as a canon infinitely more precious than the individual's duty to his community or nation. This anarchistic altitude ruled all behavior, beginning with the smallest social unit, the family. The Indian parent was constitutionally reluctant to discipline his children.' Their every exhibition of self-will was accepted as a favorable indication of the development of maturing character.. . , There was an occasional assembling of a council, with a very loose and changing membership, whose decisions were not enforced except by the influence of public opinion. A Moravian minister who lived among them described Indian society:

Thus has been maintained for ages, without convulsions and without civil discords, this traditional government, of which the world, perhaps, does not offer another example; a government in which there are no positive laws, but only long established habits and customs, no code of jurisprudence, but the experience of former times, no magistrates, but advisers, to whom the people nevertheless, pay a willing and implicit obedience, in which age confers rank, wisdom gives power, and moral goodness secures title to universal respect."

Of course - we need to be "antisocial" toward children. Else - they would not fit into the machine.

And:
Benjamin Franklin

[edit on 16-7-2010 by pai mei]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Good old Sam Clemens... America's greatest writer, and the least politically correct individual you could ever want to meet. It's no wonder they want to ban his works today.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei
I am sorry to say - but if I was there (instead of Huck - at that age) - I would have turned Jim in. I was a "nerd" - and (almost) totally domesticated.

I was Huck Finn at that age, every bit of it. I wouldn't have turned in Jim, because Jim was a brother in "the escape" from convention. Huck and Jim were breaking free together — which was probably a much more poignant story in Twain's day, with Slavery and the Civil War and Reconstruction still fresh in the memory of the nation and world.

I was born to an old, old Texas family of independent values, and we understood what it meant to have our Liberty threatened — as a family, we remember the battle for Texas Independence, and I'm not kidding. They gave us kids middle names like Austin and Houston and Travis and so forth. No Santa Annas in our family. You'll find a lot of people like that in Texas, people who are fiercely, fiercely loyal to the Republic of Texas — they still want it to be a country, I'm telling you. They still resent the annexation of Texas by the United States.

Just in case you ever wondered, ANYONE who is not Texan is a goddamned Yankee, okay? Let's get that straight. Most people think Texas is one of the "Southern States," but it isn't. Texas is a different country from the American South. Whatever bullshît went down across the South during the 19th Century, that wasn't none of our goddamn business.

Texas stood apart from the South, Texas had its own revolutionary war, okay?

Texas considers the Southern States as just another face of the bleeding U.S. Government... They're Yankees. Yeah, Texas pitched in and fought for the Confederacy, because a real Texan will fight the goddamned Federal government to his dying breath.

You will notice that Union troops did not come into Texas. Well, truth told, the Union came in at Texarkana and got their asses handed to them on a platter. Union troops were scattered, dazed, terrified, into the Big Thicket — an expanse of jungle about 80 miles wide by 200 miles long in East Texas. They were consumed, both by the jungle and by the fierce Texan civilians who killed the Union soldiers on sight and buried them under the floorboards.

Ow. Anyway, that's sort of my family history as freedom fighters or activists or loudmouths or what-the-hell-ever you want to call Texans. And perhaps it explains my fondness for Mark Twain's consistently kick-ass writing.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 7/16/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Egocide

For the nihilists and egoists, resistance comes from the immediate need to destroy what destroys you. Its only construction is in its destruction. I’m not going to say that is always a bad thing. But I will say this: I have no question in my being that there is something that I am fighting for, not just something I’m fighting against. It is not about morality or about some lofty new age crap: it’s about something unmediated and present. Something real.

As my ideas of self and Other dissolve, I’ve come to realize that there is life in this world. I know it is interconnected. It comes through the spirit that is never dead, but it is channeled and caged by the domesticators. The end result of ten thousand years of mediation.

www.insurgentdesire.org.uk...
fendersen.com...

top topics

join