It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are edits dated?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
This is a fairly simple question.

Why is the date of the edit listed when I edit a post?

Anyone who's been here for a month knows that there is a short window of time, no more than a day, to edit any post they made.

Wouldn't the time of the edit be MUCH more relevant than the date, seeing as there is a day at most to edit posts?

Don't tell me it's for the mod's, for when they edit posts. Most of the time that is completely irrelevant.

I don't have a problem with it being known I have edited a post or even the time of day I have edited it. I just think it's odd to list the date of edit when the time available to edit is short.

Anyone else feel the same way?

ETA: Providing example of edit date by editing this post.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
n/m

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Wow you do bring up a good moon.

Maybe it makes the edit more prominent in the post?

who knows.

-Sol

Edit to add: whoa, I meant to say "good point"

I think this thread will be cursed with edits from everyone.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I am dumbfounded. That is an incredible question....
Perhaps to spam the date for those who don't have a good memory for when the OP was posted

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

[edit on 16-7-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

Mod Edit: DO NOT EDIT STAFF ACTIONS AND EDITS!

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SinsMayburn
I am dumbfounded. That is an incredible question....
Perhaps to spam the date for those who don't have a good memory for when the OP was posted

In my daily life I often get the same response from those around me. Some of the things that appear stupid/simple to me, just baffle those around me as to why said subject has gone on for so long.

Way off subject: I need a job in Quality Control. I always tell others 'You're doing it wrong.' lol

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I noticed that a post was removed by a mod. Are you going to chime in Sir/Miss?

It is ok if you do not know.

I'm a member of a forum that I can not mention here that will give me a month to edit posts. Just for relevance.

ATS could have purchased a similar forum format to start from and modified it to fit their needs and this oddity of edit date is just a byproduct of that transformation.

I'm looking for reasonable, rational answers to this. I can guess for weeks about it but I'd really like to know.

To add: 'Realizing the difference between what you think you know and what you know you know is a step towards understanding.' -Me

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
My guess it's so you can't change your story after the fact to win arguments or to alter predictions or similar. The one thing I really don't like about the edit thing is I wish it gave you a few minutes to fix silly errors like spelling mistakes, I often do this and notice right after posting then I have the edit thing in the post forever.

I know I should check more but I often post when I'm tired and even do silly things like have random words that shouldn't even be there.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
My guess it's so you can't change your story after the fact to win arguments or to alter predictions or similar. The one thing I really don't like about the edit thing is I wish it gave you a few minutes to fix silly errors like spelling mistakes, I often do this and notice right after posting then I have the edit thing in the post forever.

I know I should check more but I often post when I'm tired and even do silly things like have random words that shouldn't even be there.

I don't know why the showing of the editing of a post would bother you. Everyone makes mistakes. Heck some of us post when we are not sober and still try to correct mistakes. If that really bothers you though, why not click on the preview button before you post?

Wouldn't it be much more relevant if the time of the edit was posted to try to tell if a post was edited for any of the reasons you stated? The time of your post is always at the top of every post you make. That makes it easy to tell how much time has passed between when you made your post and the last edit you made to said post.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

That's more or less the main reason.

As with everything else in a computer system, everything is time stamped (or rather "date stamped" in this case) to keep record of changes.

Yes, a member have only a small time frame where he can edit a post so you know the edit was done within a certain amount of time the post was made. But mods can (generally speaking) edit any post at any time. So an edit is stamped with the name of the last person that edited it and the date it was done to protect both the members and the moderators.

It would be pointless and meaningless to add a time, because we are all in different time zones...

If I were to edit a post (I'm in GMT +2) at 18:00 27/7/2010 then the edit would get the stamp of MY time zone. A few minutes later someone else reads the edit (let's say he's in the GMT -6 time zone) then it would only be 12:00 27/7/2010 in his time zone and it would appear to him as if I've edited the post in the future. Which would lead to a whole lot of confusion and conspiracy theories.

So the time is simply not added to the stamp.

Hope that clears it up.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

How does the date help when there is only a small period of time to edit the post in the first place?

I can select my timezone in my options. It could not be very much code to have the timestamp relate to my timezone, such as how all times on posts are, which would make it much more relevant to show if a post was changed to deflect away from a statement the poster wished they had not stated.

I don't understand how the date a post was edited by it's owner can be of any relevance when there is at most, and I'm not sure as it is rather vague, 24 hours to edit a post.

No offence but it feels like an exercise in stupidity to only date an edit when there is at most a day to edit said post. It is impossible for the owner of the post to edit it days later, so how does the date help with anything, relating to member self edits? With the exception of a mod edit, as previously stated. Also there is the possibility of it just being a byproduct of the forum format ATS started with.

Edit: Clarity, though I might have made it worse... :/

[edit on 16-7-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sporkmonster

Yes, I agree that a date stamp is of minor importance when a member edits a post. Few people are bothered by it. The importance comes in with moderators.

There are several scenarios where it may be important...

One example:
Let's say in 2006 I posted a thread (as a member) predicting an oil spill on the Australian coast in 2011. Come 2010 I go back to that long forgotten post and edit it to read "Oil spill in Mexican Gulf in 2010" but no date stamp is added... See where this is going?

The stamp is added as text to an edit and left at that. If the code is modified to reflect the time of edit in each member's time zone it would put additional strain on the database server. Yes it's not impossible... But what difference would it make in the end?

Why is it so important to see whether someone edited a post at 13:05 or 13:12? We all know you have only a small window to edit your post after all...

I'm not sure I understand why the big mystery quest about something that is meaningless in your opinion to begin with...?

Don't you agree that some indication as to when a post was edited is better than no indication whatsoever?

Edit: Wrong word.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I understand the reason for the date stamp, being that you have time to change something the date may have changed since the original post, for instance you make a post at 11:45 PM, then you edit at 12:15 AM, now you have a different date and time, though it would easy to discern that the day had changed just by posting the time, the date makes it easier to discern.

One thing I always wondered is why you are to edit the date stamp if you are re-editing a post?

[edit on 7/16/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

You can't edit the last date stamp, only the prior edit dates.

Nobody usually cares about the prior edits, just the last and "final" edit.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I assume it is for the people who make predictions, or something to that extent. Say someone makes a prediction for something to happen. They are wrong, and they go in and change it to say they are right. You can check the event time and the post time to see if you have been hoaxed.

Just a guess, but it would make sense. It would be hard to change something like that because most likely someone will quote you, and it will be in that post. It may even be archived or something.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Time rather than date would make more sense but I see the issue with time zones...just use GMT. What would be actually more useful is when you do an edit for a box to pop up so you could add a quick comment about what you edited or just a comment, i.e. Edit (time): To fix typo.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I still do not feel as if I have obtained an adequate answer.

To show more concern for the date of a post edit by a mod, rather than by the time/date of a member who edited it, seems very odd with misplaced importance, to me.
I do like having the ability to see when a post was edited. That being said, I think that the ability to have the time of the edit is much more important to the maturation of a thread.

It has to do with posting something stupid, something you wish you would not have said or wish to retract. Some members will leave their flawed thoughts up, with an edit to clarify/apologize/clear up anything that might have appeared wrong to the post poster.

I don't like it when a poster who is challenged, edits their post, and subsequently proclaims to not have had that position, or something along those lines. It is easier to pick out if there is a timestamp, along with the mostly unneeded datestamp.

I'm not trying to pick on you, ATS, I just want to know WHY. In very specific, exacting detail.... if possible. My nature of want, does not want to be denied.

For the Mods.... If the datestamp was removed from normal usage of edit here on ATS, what is to stop you from using the responsibility you have, from gaining the trust to be a Mod on ATS, from either using a manually entered datestamp or one that only effects those who have Mod status?

High level staff.... I know my inquiry is a pain in the butt, but most importantly... will a timestamp be a part of ATS 2010? Along with my other questions.

You can think of me as a pain in the butt, jerk, and that's fine. It is not intentional, it is just how I am.

Looking for answers,
SM

Edit: A comma can make a big difference to grrammaaerr.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I agree with you 100 % OP.

It is too easy on this site to edit a post and completely change it, and the only thing there in edit is the datestamp. It would be great to have the time by the [edited on] thingamajig. The time zone difference thing would be able to figure out somehow.

So yes, I second the fact that there should be a time listed when edited.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
I agree with you 100 % OP.

It is too easy on this site to edit a post and completely change it, and the only thing there in edit is the datestamp. It would be great to have the time by the [edited on] thingamajig. The time zone difference thing would be able to figure out somehow.

So yes, I second the fact that there should be a time listed when edited.

The whole thing with timezones is moot. Every post has the time set to the timezone you selected in your settings. The edit time would be the same system.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Coincidently, i've had a situation recently where i have posted on a thread (after carefully reading the existing posts) and, having gone back to it, i have found that the point i made had been added to a previous post! Obviously making me look like an idiot without the power of original thought.

Im not sure what happened. Did i miss it originally (im 99% sure i hadnt)? Had the poster hijacked my idea? Were they having a joke? Had the poster added their point as an afterthought inbetween the time it took me to read their post and tap out a reply to the thread? The time stamp showed it had been posted earlier than mine.

There was an 'Edit' mark on the post but that didnt give me much information.

Im not overly bothered about it but i dont like little mysteries like this.

Let me get this straight - When you edit a post, is the indicated time the time of the original post or the edited version?

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Silver Star]

Ive just answered my own question regarding the time stamp - it doesnt change when you edit a post.

I think it should do personally.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Silver Star]

[edit on Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:39:31 -0500 by Silver Star]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join