It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Lear on Penn and Teller?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm posting this in the Area 51 area simply because I have no idea where else to put it, and the main theme of the show itself is Area 51 and ... with the usual subject of the show being, BullS!@(!

I've just watched the latest episode of Penn and Teller - Bullsnap - and it was about Area 51. With expert 'John Lear'.

Has John lost ALL his marbles? He's not only left himself open to the shows usual calibre of ridicule, but willingly??

I'm amazed.

Is this the finale insult to those who still considered mr Lear a worthy advocate of the UFO stance?

In my personal opinion, not only was his daft manner in dealing with SERIOUS issues simply misleading, but now this? Openly taking on a show that would do this?

I really hope this enlightens some people to just how John works..

Was he misled into being part of the show? Was he unwilling in any way?

Opinions??

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I do not think John has posted around here in a while. He offered on here to have a beer with me sometime if I was ever around Vegas.

He does have some interesting stories that I can tell are true, and others that well, I have no idea where he came up with them.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot
I do not think John has posted around here in a while. He offered on here to have a beer with me sometime if I was ever around Vegas.

He does have some interesting stories that I can tell are true, and others that well, I have no idea where he came up with them.

I've conversed with him a number of times in U2U in the past, trying to get some sort of answers to his claims, but to no avail.

But to be part of Penn and Teller - I feel he's finally removed his mask of fake sincerity and embraced his satirical role completely.

Just the other day there was a thread where he was mentioned and people still considered his claims as true, or possible. I'm wondering how anyone can now still consider his as such..

Unless he had no idea what he was getting himself into - yet would not answer simple questions here.

If you have the chance, watch the episode. Season 8 - Episode 6. Just aired today.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
It would be hard to imagine that the man has "no idea" what he is getting
himself into--as a part of the cast of a Penn and Teller episode of BS.

Maybe he thinks he can "hold his own"---which, of course, would be
a WRONG assumption, as the most cogent bits of his will be left on the
cutting room floor, while the parts P@T think are sexy will make it to the
final tape.

Maybe he just wants the exposure...it is said bad press is better than
no press....

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Maybe he just wants the exposure...it is said bad press is better than
no press....

That would be pretty sad, but then I suppose that goes along with what the OP was saying.

There is no way he expected to go onto that show with his far-fetched unprovable notions and not be ridiculed into submission on the spot or certainly in post production.

He really has no proof at all, and claiming Venus is an Earth-like habitable planet he's is going to need it.

He is getting pretty old.
May need a new agent.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Penn and Teller? those two idiots?
dont tell me u people on ATS still watch them? they have no credible and not to mention the way they are dressed

with Capitalism outfits just right for the markets.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Lear was tricked into doing Penn and Teller.

He was told that it was for another show or something.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I stopped paying attention to Penn and Teller when they stopped being entertaining, I did recently however see their bullspit episode on 911 and I realized the corporations had got to them.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
John's quote on another forum last week :

" But like I say when they did the interview nothing was mentioned about Penn &Teller. I was told it was for a Showtime UFO Special. The first I heard anything about Penn and Teller was the day before yesterday when I got that post card in the mail." ( John Lear )

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Wow...And I used to like Penn and Teller.

But this is some really sneaky BS.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Whether it was a "Showtime UFO Special" or Penn & Teller's BS, Lear sounded like the complete loon he is. I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while. The only sane one was Joerg from Dreamlandresort.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'd like to see that. Too bad I don't get Showtime. Sounds to me like Lear was ambushed. With some deft editing, almost anyone can be made to look like a crackpot. Lear's theories are far enough out there that it wouldn't take much editing.

Let's face it, you could take almost any member of this website and they could be made to look fairly foolish to the mainstream just by virtue of having an interest in the topics here.

I'm thinking back to the UFO "special" done on TV a few years ago with Peter Jennings. There was enough snarkiness and eye rolling in there to be an editorial comment all by itself.

I like Lear, although I don't know him personally. I don't agree with many (if any) of his views about ETs, space, "secret astronauts", "NAZA", etc. but he's a fascinating guy with an impressive background.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
I'd like to see that. Too bad I don't get Showtime. Sounds to me like Lear was ambushed. With some deft editing, almost anyone can be made to look like a crackpot. Lear's theories are far enough out there that it wouldn't take much editing.

Let's face it, you could take almost any member of this website and they could be made to look fairly foolish to the mainstream just by virtue of having an interest in the topics here.

I'm thinking back to the UFO "special" done on TV a few years ago with Peter Jennings. There was enough snarkiness and eye rolling in there to be an editorial comment all by itself.

I like Lear, although I don't know him personally. I don't agree with many (if any) of his views about ETs, space, "secret astronauts", "NAZA", etc. but he's a fascinating guy with an impressive background.

I have a link to a torrent to download this episode in another thread (the SyFy one). It is in .mkv format though, which I can never get to play properly on my PC. The sound is always out of sync...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Did you see them
John's quote on another forum last week :

" But like I say when they did the interview nothing was mentioned about Penn &Teller. I was told it was for a Showtime UFO Special. The first I heard anything about Penn and Teller was the day before yesterday when I got that post card in the mail." ( John Lear )

IF that is true - I cant say one way or another from that, then man oh man, P&T surely face some sort of scrutiny? I can't say legal move, but thats god damned disingenuous at least.

I mean I dont agree with mr Lear at all - but .. ack.. I also feel that this only highlites his motives. *not this alone I will add*

Nice find, I looked and did not find such ! *

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Penn and Teller? those two idiots?
dont tell me u people on ATS still watch them? they have no credible and not to mention the way they are dressed

with Capitalism outfits just right for the markets.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

Dunno about those freaks on ats, with all their mad stuff and whatnot watch it, but I watch it.. Oh wow I just realsed I'm, on ATS....

/me pats A_U_SA on the head...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I've seen an interview with Penn Gilette stating that all people they interview know beforehand whether they agree or disagree with them before anything is aired, they wouldnt get away with straight up calling him a fraud or they risk getting sued for slander.

I dont think for a second that this former Pilot, flight instructor, ground instructor, flight navigator, engineer, aircraft dispatcher, airframe powerplant mechanic, parachute rigger, and tower operator didnt have the common sense to at least check what their skeptic show was all about.

And tough titty if he didnt, he needed no help from P&T to look like a plonker.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Look why don't you get a life and stop with this john lear bashing

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It seems like Penn added in his questions after the fact.

An interviewer was sent out, then Gillette dubbed his voice over their voice. That is why you don't ever see him in the shot with John Lear.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

No, not like that...

An interviewer was sent out, then Gillette dubbed his voice over their voice.

...and people who actually watch will see how off you are with that sentence.

Saw it last night, DVR'd, saw again this AM. Took notes.

Like ALL of their episodes, and interviews, it was conducted the same basic way...P&T don't usually go personally in field while the footage is being shot...and YES they edit it down, and show (in John's case) well out of sequence. It is meant to be entertainment, with of course their personal spin...which is mostly in the form of dubbed commentary from Penn. And, sometimes, ridicule.

Regardless...they could have been a LOT, LOT harder on John....when you get a chance to see it for yourselves, you will notice near the end credits, a very short clip of John looking at an enlarged photo of the Moon and mumbling, while pointing to it, about the humans he sees in the photo....

P & T did NOT expand on that...they tended to ridicule the Area 51 assertions, mostly. Of, as John said, the "...50, maybe 100 saucers we have up there...", etc.

Of course, later John shows a color drawing/diagram and describes the propulsion system operation....and he prefaces by saying that it was an example of the NINE "we" have up there...so it does come of as inconsistent.

Getting off John, though....since this thread is up, and in this forum, perhaps those who have an interest in Area 51 might like to have it pointed out that I noticed the "Janet" airplanes (well, at least one, shown in the program) have been updated....

For many years they used B-737-200s, and I saw a -300 in the show clip, where they discuss the airline.

I mention this for those who may wish to investigate, in order to track the source of the airplanes, and how they are acquired, through what entities, etc. If it's useful at all in knowing.....

[edit on 16 July 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yep, you can see a newer 737 model in that pic on the Groom Lake panorama that was just posted.

While I cant quite understand where John comes up with the things that he does, I certainly wish him the best and hope he is well. I inadvertently upset him a couple years back on here when I brought up an incident from his past. Needless to say, I do not think Adam West is on John Lears xmas card list.

But however when it comes to aviation, I have never read or heard a bad thing regarding Johns abilities as a pilot. Unfortunately, I think that some of his space alien talk only diminishes his acheivements in aviation

[edit on 16-7-2010 by firepilot]

<<   2  3 >>

join