It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS from a modern day slave.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I have labeled this: News from a modern day slave, because this is who I am. My stepfather, years ago, was somehow able to convince me "If you work really hard, and do your damndest to advance, you will make it in this society".
I have found that "living the American Dream" That I am broke all the time. To give some background: 1. I own my own home (not really, the bank owns it) and I pay roughly $1000 dollars a month, which completely does away with one paycheck every month. I work my a$$ off for my company, and I do well. I made $40,000 dollars last year working "salary" for my company, where I work on average 60 hours per week, during the Summer 70 per week.
I don't have time to enjoy life. I barely have time, between work and sleep to evaluta life, and determine where I really am. Of course have all the basics that my position should be able to afford. I have cable TV, I have garbage pick up. I am able to pay my utiliy bill every month. My credit is excellent. I at the end, am barely able to feed myself. I worry every day about my job and my future. I am fully rational to the point that if something doesn't change I am bound to lose it. Is this the "American Dream"? If so you all can have it. I'm miserable most of the time. I don't see a way out, without doing away with all responsibility, I need to live my life differently, but I don't know how anymore. I am a modern day slave.

Any suggestions are more than valued.

-Thank You

Dreamwalker 74

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say that I don't have anything for you, and think most people don't. The fact of the matter is that you like everyone else is facing the same problems

I'm 20 years old I own my own car, pay for my own college (I dropped out of technical school to become a teacher so now I'm f*'d) and so on. Hell I even try and help out my mother as much as possible for she has a hard time getting by as well. She works at a hospital in town and my step father is an electrician, we don't even own our own home and have a hard time getting by.

The only thing I can recomend is to take a vacation to somewhere away from people, away from civilization to relax. I don't think there is an answer, but there is a way to help your sanity, believe me when it comes time to pay for my books and tuition I get very stressed for my money is tight and don't have people to turn to for money.

For me I went to the Youghiogheny River in Pa. It's one of 3 that flow up stream in the world (correct me if I'm mistaken) and its quiet beautiful and peaceful. With that I wish you luck and keep doing what your doing, best wishes

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioGhost

Ok, You are on the verge of creating your life. How do you picture it? Where is it taking you? Where do you see yourself in 15 years? Trust me, I turn 36 tomorow. It makes me wonder. What are you good at? No, I mean Really GOOD at? Can you escape through talent? This appears to be the only method. Otherwise 15 years from now, or much sooner, you will be just like me.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Yeah, things aren't like they were portrayed on TV, especially in those sappy Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best type shows.

Consider, though. What's the alternative? Or alternatives.

You could search for another job with less pay, and less hours, although, at 40,000 a year and the hours you work, you are getting royally treated like a pooch, as it is.

You're in quite a fix like many people are. Downsize, as it's often called? Smaller house, less toys, if you even have them. I dunno. Cut back cut back cut back. That seems to be the advice from most people I have listened to.

Me? My wife and I are paying payments on a small house, at about 580 a month, including insurance and taxes. I drive a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, when it is running. My wife drives a 2000 Mazda pick up and we aren't planning, or even able to, buy a new car anytime soon. (Never, probably)

I'm probably no help to you at all. sorry.

All the stuff about moving to where you can grow your own food, etc. really is no help, right now, most likely. The only people I know who could do that, did that long ago. When they could afford to move, sell their house, get a new job, etc.

Best of luck to you! That's about all I know to say..............

[edit on 16-7-2010 by kyred]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Dream walker, i'm sorry I can't be of more help to you. For I am only 15 and know nothing first hand of how cruel this world can really be, first off you have to consider a few things.

1. It is always darkest before the dawn
2. You live in America, and you could have it a hell of a lot worse, so take time to be thankful for what you've got.
3.Never give up, never, there is always a way, like the poster above said if you can, take a vacation and get your bearings on your life where you are, where you want to be, and so forth. I don't know what company you work for but there is always a chance of a promotion, etc., theres always a way to move up, also I don't know your profession but consider your options for maybe going back to college, or going to college whichever via grants etc.

I guess the best advice I can give you, is to just keep on going, don't let yourself be miserable, and never give up on hope.

Hell you never know, your life may turn around soon!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

That's good advice, for sure. Make it YOUR life, OP. It's a long road in getting to where you decide you want to be. And it takes some planning and definitely a will to see what you want to be, come to fruition. You must keep your eye on the prize you set for yourself. And remain steadfast and not become so disencouraged that you give it all up.

Some people never make it. Sad, but true. Some make it. Some eventually lower their expectations to something more reastic for their situation. But achieve at least something of their original ideal. And that's not bad, considering the way things are.

Don't expect an overnight change, though. Not unless your plans are drastic such as just chucking it all, leaving all you are paying for, and moving on. I did that once. Didn't work out quite so well.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
this is an awesome point, most people who wanted to be self sufficient did that when the prices were lower and could afford to.

so is it now not affordable, anywhere in you own country (mine is Australia) to move to a cheaper house, and still have a good paying job (or average paying job??!)

is this what the last ten years of financial chicanery has been about? including the global financial crisis??

10 years ago i was unemployed, but receiving a benefit. (Australia has a guarantee of social welfare in our constitution) i wasn't getting much money, but i was able to live happily.

today i earn 4 times what i was then. i JUST .. as the OP stated.. make ends meet. i rent a house, paying someone else's mortgage.
i don't have the same feeling of being trapped, and never had an illusion of an American Dream (or Australian dream, BTW the expression Australian dream wasn't around 10 years ago!).

and government sources tell us inflation has been under control for the last 10 years, with very little increase.....

i have no answers, but maybe this was the point. make it impossible for us to leave businesses, our jobs, where we are capital and provide productivity for any kind life of our own....

i state again, as i have in other posts. capitalism IS not about free enterprise or wealth. it is about making the working man into a commodity. we ARE the capital.

and now we are the capital with less options.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

You know, Iv'e looked at A LOT of those posts, as far as growing your own food, and truly "dropping out". The only one on this sight, who claims to have succesfully "dropped out", lives on a thirty foot yaught, "and isnt'watching TV anymore" Too me this is retirement, not "dropping out". The thing, is I'm intelligent enough to actually do it. I can grow my own food, I can purify my own water. I would be lonely as hell, and would not have internet access anymore. There is no satisfying "out". I can't have it both ways. Plus, where do you find the land, where nobody will bother you, ever?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This isn't much but here goes. Houses are expensive. Apartments are cheaper. Ditch the house and move into a small apartment. Save the difference til you can quite this job and look for something reasonable.

I calculate you make 12.82 per hour at 60 hrs per week. Maybe I am in la la land but I can't even imagine a job requiring that many hours for that pay. You don't say what your job is, I am assuming it is managerial.

I am assuming you have talked with your boss. If not, do so. Not requesting more money but a way to resolve the work hours.

I think people mowing lawns make more per hour, pay less, if any taxes, work less and live better than you or as well as you.

I pay 25 dollars every two weeks for my lawn to be mowed. It takes one person 25/30 minutes. One mows my lawn while the other mows my neighbors. This father and son have worked up a good lucrative business with a lot of customers. They have to make several hundred dollars daily.

I can tell you I would have been out of there long ago. I was born poor and I can live poor. You can not replace peace of mind with material things.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Damn good to know it isn't just the U.S. Do you see an end? Other than retirement at some age where you are senile and don't care anymore. Am I working as hard as I am now, just to make sure my retirement home is adequate?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I never understand why people make themselves miserable working at jobs they hate, making people you don't like rich while they pay you crap wages, to buy things you don't need, to impress people, who, at the end of the day don't care.

My advice to you is slack of as much as you possibly can without getting caught. If your boss asks you to do something that isn't in your job description do it but do it half arsed so he doesn't ask you again. When you know the day before that the next day is gonna be beautiful and sunny tell people in the office you feel sick and if possible try and let your boss see that you're feeling "sick". This way when you call in sick the next day it will be believable and you can enjoy the sun and have some fun (awesome rymming skills).

People today are so socially conditioned to believe that the only way to be happy is to work really really hard and get that promotion. But all that happens when you get that promotion is you have to work even harder and for what? You die at the end.

Tell me has anyone ever been on their deathbed and said "God, I wish I'd worked harder"?

I really hope you find happiness man (or woman). People always wonder what the meaning of life is, but for me it's simple, the meaning of life is to enjoy it.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by ScousePhil]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

You are dead on on the "managerial position". I along with millions of Americans are forced to work, 50 to 80 hours a week under salary. If simple labor laws were created, to make sure, no "salaried" employee was allowed to work over 50 hours per week, not only would we be less lenient than every other country on this planet, we would be able to save the sanity of a huge percentage of our citizens. The ONLY true debate of this is " it would destroy wealth, therefore a bad idea". The people that answer this way, I just have to ask: What about minimum wage laws? What about current overtime laws? Do you disagree with them because they "destroy wealth"? Having to pay people, period, "destroys wealth". Therefore do you support reestablishing slavery to support the economy? I bet many of you are whispering "yes"..

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It seems in America the only way to have a good life is cheat the system and stick with your own kind. Yes, Also the powerful will get away with a lot of things. They will also make it hard for the little people to make ends meat. I hear the Brits have passed a law to tax graduated students from colleges. That is pretty bad of them to do that especially since most college students can't even get a job.

I just laugh at seeing politicians spending all that money of theirs on hard working tax payer money and they have no clue what we are really feeling like.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ScousePhil

Ok, now I'm curious. I may be a moron, but, how do you enjoy life without money? and how do you make money (legally) wihtout working your arse off for it?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

You're not a moron that's the most valid question ever. I've worked different part time jobs since I was 16 (I'm 23 now) and I'm currently working towards getting my degree in something that I know I want to do. I'm not against working I just wouldn't kill myself doing it just to have things I don't need. There's no point, in my opinion, working for more money if you haven't got time to enjoy life.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
reply to post by kyred

You know, Iv'e looked at A LOT of those posts, as far as growing your own food, and truly "dropping out". The only one on this sight, who claims to have succesfully "dropped out", lives on a thirty foot yaught, "and isnt'watching TV anymore" Too me this is retirement, not "dropping out". The thing, is I'm intelligent enough to actually do it. I can grow my own food, I can purify my own water. I would be lonely as hell, and would not have internet access anymore. There is no satisfying "out". I can't have it both ways. Plus, where do you find the land, where nobody will bother you, ever?

Unfortunately this modern day American life with over 40 hours a week just to maintain a "normal life" is so completely unsatisfying, I was self employed working with my brother in law for about 4 years demolishing and rebuilding houses and was quite happy, but in the end the pay was too unstable to support a family.
I got the only job I was able to get and started working my way up in the retail environment. It was nice have a stable job that was a reliable paycheck.
But no matter what we do we just can't get ahead, the more money you make the more life cost the quality of life stays the same the numbers just get bigger.
As a side note my wife is from a 3rd world country and I will tell you the same struggle goes on no matter what the economic situation is. But my father in law is a blacksmith only makes about $100 a week and has been doing that 7 days a week about 10 hours a day for 29 years and absolutely loves his job buthis job is just outside the front door of their house.

The most important thing about work is that you love what you do and devote the rest of your time to your family, Because you only get to live once why waste it at work you hate! My manager Loathes his job 70 hours a week for about 55k a year but he too has no money left.

Yes we are working ourselves to death, and there really is no point because in the end all the matters is who you loved and who loved you because that is who will be there when you are on your deathbed... Unless your filthy rich then you will be surrounded by human vultures waiting.

Can win for losing...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
You might research the difference between a person and a human being.. that might lead somewhere, and perhaps explain exactly how you are being kept as a slave.

www.stoptherobbery.com is a good place to go. Lots of info out there

www.stoptherobbery.com... more specifically

[edit on 16-7-2010 by purplemonkeydishwasher]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sorry to hear it.

[$40K/yr for working your ass off and 60-70hr weeks is not good.]

Thanks for sharing and venting, tho.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
The American Dream is a "debt dream" ... Buy now, pay later.

Debt is what makes a person a slave. Get rid of "debt" and you are no longer a slave.

What was pounded in my head when I was young was... "Stay out of debt."

If debt has raised your standard of living, then you will have to lower your standard of living to get rid of debt.

Can you move? Move to So. Dakota. Everything is still affordable here. We paid $15,000 for our home. Nothing fancy but at least we have a roof over our head and have a garden. There are jobs here too.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jcgohio

Thank you, That answered quite a bit. I'm still curious as to what the alternatives are though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join