It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking without language

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's not so hard to imagine thinking without language...we do it every night when we dream. We use images and sounds, etc. Same for animals I'd wager...

Can't help but think of Clint Eastwood trying to think in Russian to fire his missiles in Firefox, hehe...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Thematrix, most scientists believe that those animal behaviors you mention are the result of instinct, a powerful preconscious urge to perform a specific behavior.

All suppositions about animal cognitions are speculative, unless you're a mindreader.

bee's and ants are not some kind of robots ruled by instinct.and ants also communicate by sound (altough they can't hear they sense vibrations)

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Animals think entirely without language Gaz,so why is it so hard? You have trouble thinking WITH language.
But then they also have developed simple sounds,subsonics,body movements,and in cases of pets,some do catch on.
The Visitors ,if interested,can learn our lingo,but without vocal chords,need electronic help.
Shorty for instance sounding almost the computer voice of Robert Vaughn in that movie. Though they can all play with the voice as if they had an equillizer attached.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think in image "chains". I see one image and then my mind goes to another image. My mind goes so fast I can't really keep up with the images I'm seeing. Then I get to the final link in the chain. The finished idea, which I see in a image.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think in image "chains". I see one image and then my mind goes to another image. My mind goes so fast I can't really keep up with the images I'm seeing. Then I get to the final link in the chain. The finished idea, which I see in a image. I've a question, what do you see in your mind when you do math problems?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
what about blind and deaf people who were born that way from birth? They have never seen an image or heard a spoke word. What form of thinking do they then posses? Even if they learn things from shape and smell, how do they associate a word or an image to that in their thought process?

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
what about blind and deaf people who were born that way from birth? They have never seen an image or heard a spoke word. What form of thinking do they then posses? Even if they learn things from shape and smell, how do they associate a word or an image to that in their thought process?

We don't know what is really going on in there? So we can assume that.

If we knew that, we would have solved one of the biggest mysteries of Psychology.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join