It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS grown ignorant?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
So I was wondering, I know there has been a flood of new members lately (me being one of them) I have been a member on ATS roughly 4 months, and recently I read a thread about a member named iaminfinity I think his name was, and he said that ATS is full of ignorance, that is used to be better than it is now. He said it was more tight knit than it is now(which makes sense) and if you look around you won't see many members that joined in like say 2002 or so forth there far and in between, almost like the old members quit coming here. If so for what reason?

Was wondering if some members could tell me about this. Has ATS grown ignorant?
Was it better in the past?
Have old members quit coming here?(cause I hardly ever see them)
Are most new members not nearly as productive at denying ignorance as the old members?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The issue you are observing is the increase of posts/members in direct relation to the amount of posts one individual can read.

That is all. I still see some of the older members around...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

But do you think this sight has degraded in quality since new members like me have come around? If so I feel kinda bad.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
its true what you are saying

I wont be posting as much as I was before

1 - the website system doesnt support good sharing of information, its just flawed for a website this big ( I wont specify NOW , but anyone that uses the website for a long time, will probably agree )

2 - some admins here are just like the government, if you say something is possible and it doesnt fit their agenda, it automatically means you are not following website rules ...

... yes, there are a lot of ignorant people here, but that doesnt mean its their fault for the website to be as bad as it is right now ... in my opinion, the problem is in the computer system that is not good enough to control the flow of information ....

this website is huge, and you just cant expect that people will do everything by the RULES OF THE GOOD SENSE: not create duplicated topics, search if the video was already posted, create "communities" to flag up some useless threads ...

[edit on 15/7/10 by Faiol]

link   
I think it's just because more people are waking up, and that nostalgia runs deep within the old timers on ATS, who like old people, somehow think the time from where they came from was better than the world today. Just old ATS codgers telling young ATS punks what's what

link   
As with any group, the larger it gets, the more varied the participants are.

In 2002, there were few people but they were focussed on particular issues. When I joined, a couple of years later, it was already growing into a sizable membership and the topics became just (as) numerable to keep up with the various interests of the membership.

Now, we have an immense group, from all over the world. The difference over those 6 years of my involvement has been amazing but the bottom line is that the very things that first attracted me are still here actively being discussed.

One just has to know where to look and stick with it.

ATS hasn't grown ignorant at all... it's up to you and every other member as to what gets posted here, not ATS. If there IS ignorance, it resides with those who have, as yet, not taken the time to weigh all sides of issues and do some critical thinking prior to posting.

Calling this website ignorant is like saying the ocean is a cesspool because fish poop in it. We're the fish and ATS is the ocean.

grammar edit

[edit on 15/7/10 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
But do you think this sight has degraded in quality since new members like me have come around? If so I feel kinda bad.

No. Keep on Keeping on...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I am fairly new here but I must say I like ATS, okay, let me rephrase that - I'm addicted. At least people are discussing what is really going on in the world and trying to get different opinions and discover some truth. We could be doing much worse things. Where there is any large group of people you are going to get those that have absolutely nothing to contribute that is beneficial - some that are not informed and trying to learn like myself and those that are teaching because they know the ropes and/or educated in certain areas. This site is not intolerant - ATS has to follow rules or we couldn't have this site. Try to be patient with others - we are all different.

If someone gets down right nasty about something, just give them a little piece of your mind and go on - they might think things thru better the next time around. IMO

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by MemoryShock

I agree with that other poster in some ways, but I also disagree with them in other ways. You for one are a relatively new member, yet you have brought forward many interesting topics / posts and I have enjoyed some of them thoroughly.... So I think that should answer your question?

[edit on 15-7-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Remember..., all things in moderation.

In response to the OP, I want to say that some people seem inclined to go through very definitive stages as they mature in the ATS community. One of these stages includes what you might call an "auld lang syne" syndrome, pining for the good old days when these new people weren't p0wning me all the time.

Actually, I am working up a thread on the topic of stages of membership... about a week from now... I hope.

It passes.... as all things do, eventually.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
i started contributing a few months ago..i get banned alot over at survivalistboard.
seems like less folks jumpin on your back here. not that there isnt some sparring here.
all well and good- makes for better reading. i tend to run with a trajectory..
or wild speculations, and though i may well be crazy- that dont mean i'm ignorant.
crippled up with fibromyalgia- i find it a good pastime/distraction.
you must have noticed the spike in sparkling whit-
folks often mention how full of whit i am.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well,a web site forum can not become ignorant.

The members that post there/here can seem to be not very intelligent but that is the nature of the beast.

This site has been around a very long time.

New members were(and are)just children when it went "viral".

Easy access to computers and the internet have allowed those who would not normally be members of this type of forum,to be just that.

That happened when the ownership sold out to money changers in the temple.

They like the feel of those greenbacks and the big bank accounts they now have.

There are a few other forums around that if those serious were to join them they could become as popular as ATS seems to be now.

One was very popular a while back but for some reason not explained it got locked away into a "BLACKVAULT"(hint).

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Okay, one of the somewhat old fogies here.

What is going on with ATS is that with the increase in members we are experiencing a larger number of people just getting off the training wheels posting things violating T&C's just because they are new.

We all remember the mistakes we made just getting started here such as posting threads without searching to see if the thread is here already or posting stories of little interest to others and so forth.

What do the mod's think of adding a checklist of some sorts to the new thread/reply page to remind members of key elements of the T&C's to enable everyone to create better posts/replies?

Happy posting ATS/BTS members.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
ats has never been too strict....

i get away with some of the best jabs. i think its getting better.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

You're on the list...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
ATS is an interesting read, but I wouldn't trust the information here either. I know it is censored, and if it comes too close to certain things, threads get deleted or closed almost immediately.

At one time, it may have been a true conspiracy theory site. A lot of it now is regurgitated information from the web - with some far out theories added in for good measure.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have learned to see the positive in some of the ignorance here on ATS. Because some of the members who are ignorant to begin with, change to the better after a while.

Posting on ATS is a learning process that takes time to adjust to.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
This Board Is Going Downhill!

From your thread:

Originally posted by Majics
Over the recent months, I have been watching as ATS has been hijacked by an increasing number of trolls -- members who repeatedly post in violation of the ATS Terms & Conditions of Use, inject off-topic noise, sloganeering, hatred, bigotry and propaganda into almost every thread and frankly, I have finally had enough.

Wow.

I totally agree with what you said there and throughout.
If I could star and flag it I would.

It's good to see some people that work behind the scenes have recognized this.

I just don't have much faith in anything being done to curb or stop it, short of taking up your suggestions in that thread.

And to the OP...it isn't every new member.
There are some that have come in with the right intentions while others have slid in with obvious agendas.

Ignorance however is truly winning here and I have noticed a lot of old members with much to offer just aren't saying much anymore.

I don't blame them.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've been around ATS for awhile. It has changed from being a place where even differing ideologies could disagree but still discuss issues in a civil manner.

Now there is an intolerant spirit of meanness and name calling for having an alternative opinion.

I call it the "people like you" syndrome.

I don't spend near as much time here as I used to and if the trend continues; it will be even less and I doubt if I'll contribute by starting any threads just to be accosted by trolls, those with an agenda and kids out of school just looking to be argumentative.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by whaaa]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join