It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Suicide' Billboard Along NJ Highway Sparks Uproar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
ottokarma and darkelf, man I'm sorry for your losses, been there myself and damn does it hurt like hell. Not just the loss, but seeing them suffer. People who say "let them live their lives in happiness" surely have not experienced that pain and suffering.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greyartist

Again, I do. It was 10 long years of watching my grandmother die.

Maybe the sadness of death is simply off for my mind. I do not feel sad when people die. I do not cry for people who die, and those who suffer I comfort but do not encourage death. I've pulled a few people from suicide already to begin with, and pretty much the way I got them out of it is calling them retarded and wusses. So yea, I'm sorry I do not understand.

Just agree to disagree, because I'll never stop loving life no matter what block annoys its path and I'll never stop pulling people from the edge and comforting those about to fall. It's what I do and thus far its been great. Maybe making the person feel bad for making me angry if they did kill themselves is a kind of dickish thing to do, but I have done that for at least one person I know.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

nixie, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing to witness the deterioration of a once strong vibrant person. Medical science can do many things, but it can't stop death. Years ago, there were many doctors who would give thier patients a bottle of pills and warn them of the dangers of taking five or more. These were compassionate men who understood that a terminal illness is not a time to celebrate life. Most people, when they reach that stage have made peace and are ready to leave this world. His memory will live on in you.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

If I die in my sleep tonight, it's ok. I don't fear death. I morn the loss of my relationship with my parents, but I'm not sad that they are gone. I believe they are in a much better place and that I will join them again one day. This body is just a vessel that holds me while I reside on earth. My release from this body is just the death of the vessel. I will live on in a better place. My husband, children, and grandchildren will miss me, but we will be united again one day.

I enjoy life to the fullest of my capacity. But when my time comes, I'm not going to depend on some machine. And I'm not going to be a burden to those I love.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

if you have a few weeks left to die, enjoy them. Don't pop a pill and die.

I wish you could have seen my neighbor die. You would not be so sure of yourself. He was morphined out of his mind, and still in agony so bad he looked like a wild trapped animal and all he would say was "pain" and when no one could help him he just stared off, panting, and wild eyed.

I dont think you really get that there are levels of pain. You can learn to live with a lot. And still have a quality life. But there genuinely are levels of pain that absolutely make it impossible to "enjoy life." I have seen it. I hope I never see it again. He wasnt my father, but he was my friend of many years, and it was horrible to watch anyone, anything, suffer that way.

And no, its not because of my suffering watching his suffering. I could go home, turn on the TV or grab a book and get relief from his suffering, and mine over his suffering. It was because he could not get relief. He was in unrelenting constant agony for weeks before his body finally died. He died a terrified, agonized animal. He deserved better.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greyartist

Thanks greyartist. It's been four years but it seems like it was just yesterday sometimes. I wrote about it to help me cope. Click on the ATS 1st place in my signature for the story.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Well if you do not chose a machine, IE have a written consent, I don't think I can comment because that's just natural death. Like a do not resuscitate order. You are dead. And until they bring you back, that's that.

Going a bit off topic, who's to say you leave then and there? What happens if someone digging up ruins brings you back from your bones eons from now? Is your soul there? What if they, God knows how, can bring you back with your memories? It's a question to consider. What defines death and the soul and the body which resides? Is there a new soul there? A cloned soul with all your memories by not you?

I know, that's off topic. But once you bring in afterlife or something, you have to bring these things up.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I understand. My grandmother was the same. Failing heart from kidney medicine, and failing kidney from heart medicine. I saw here hours before her death chocking and moaning near death on our sofa, as I had seen for 10 years. Legitimate suffering. Occasionally she said "just kill me why don't you". But I would never take away the last hours or days or years by suicide. She left when she had to. I probably sound horrible but I simply could not see anything good from a suicide. And in the end she did not try anything. She sticked it out till the end, a product of the great depression life style perhaps.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

When I get to the after life, I think I just may bring that subject to the attention of those in charge!

Thanks for helping to releive some of this emotion.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I agree. I had my pets put to sleep so that they wouldn't suffer. When my mom brought this up as a reason why she should be allowed to make this choice it really hurt. She didn't say it to hurt me, she just couldn't understand why we could end an animal's suffering but not a human's suffering.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

You dont sound horrible. You just sound like someone that hasnt seen the worst yet.

I had never seen pain like that until then. I had no idea. I think there are somethings you either have to see or experience first hand, and all the good intentioned people in the world cannot convince you until you do.

Clearly, after losing my brother to suicide, I dont take it lightly. And for years I would have agreed with you, that death should be a natural thing. I dont feel that way anymore. And I have a friend now with cancer, and when she talks about the possibility of ending it if the pain gets too bad, I dont try to convince her otherwise. I just pray she never has to feel that level of pain. I wouldnt wish it on anyone. There is no murderer, no genocidal or pedophilic, monster in the world I would wish that kind of pain on.

We will just have to agree to disagree, and if your life needs you to learn otherwise, you will.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Well I can agree on that much, being a believer in the power of prayer and I will pray for your friend tonight.

I have seen and experienced quite bad things. I don't think it is possible to experience "the worst" because there is always someone out there who has had it worse.

Blame video games I guess. lol. Thanks for making me not feel horrible. I fell asleep at my grandmother's funeral because I knew the body was a sack of meat now and there was no point in acting like it matters anymore because I knew she was somewhere else.

reply to post by darkelf

Happy to end on good tastes and a laugh. I have long thought about these matters. I do hope and pray those who commit suicide are cared for beyond the great yonder and understood and it is not my place to damn or save but to pray. Something is obviously wrong with them and they need help and comfort.

Personally on such matters I think there's just a new soul packed in. Souls are a dime a dozen. That is also one other thing to think about in terms of "multiple lives" sort of past life thoughts. There's been 15 billion people ever to exist and 6 billion of them are alive now. Food for thought.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
State assisted suicide will never become legal.

Imagine the lawsuits that would be filed by family members of a deceased loved one who opted this route. Never mind the fact that they would probably get thrown out. The cost of defending each case would be stagering.

Our sue happy ways has made things like this near impossible to acheive.

Now all we can hope for is to medicate to near death until nature takes its course.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Very touching man! I lost my dad 10 years ago, and like you it still feels like yesterday.

The ironic thing is they ban drugs because they make people "feel good" but in my father's last week of life, they gave him morphine to ease the pain. It didn't ease any pain at all, it only zombified him, which imo is what most drugs do anyway! I should know, I've had my time with drugs...

I just don't see the difference between something like morphine being used to ease the pain for the remainder of someone's life, and whatever they use at Dignitas to put someone out of their misery.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

So you can read, good. Why then are you not reading what I am writing correctly?

I can judge the character of any I wish just as you can judge me for the same. When I applied the most disdain for those committing suicide, it was about those who only suffer imaginary woes in their head. Those who are in constant pain I have a bit more understanding about. Do I still agree with it no, but if they so chose to do so they are more than welcome, including those who are not suffering.

Your mother and father were suffering. From the sounds of it your girlfriend, though diagnosed cheated herself out of more years to come. Sound harsh? Maybe. However, this politically correct crap of gently sidestepping any issue is bull. Sometime people are going to hear things that are going to upset them, they can react to that.

So yeah I do have a question. Why does it matter how I feel about people who do it if I am not going to try and stop them? Last I checked we were allowed free thinking still.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Read all my posts. I never said I wanted to stop them.

However, I do feel it is selfish. It is selfish for someone who is not suffering to end their life. Even those who are suffering could be cheating themselves, but I at least understand their view on it.

Do I care if you think I am wrong? Not on your life.

Where is my freedom (since you bring it up) to be able to judge the character of others? I can judge the character of who ever I chose just as you judge me for judging them. Suffering is one thing, doing it just because life is to hard is another.

I will not stop anyone from doing it, but that does not mean I have to respect their choice either. I can think of it as wrong no matter what, that is my right, as of now I still have the right to voice that opinion as well.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

So you can read, good. Why then are you not reading what I am writing correctly?

Because what you wrote is plain stupid and selfish
you asked, i answered.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

That is not the topic.

As I said I can judge the character of who ever, just as they can judge mine.

Your opinion of me is not my concern. I do though wonder why you seem to keep making it seem as if I want to stop people from doing it.

They can do as they see fit, I can judge their character as I see fit.

Why am I not allowed to state my opinion of such deeds without you trying to change what I have said?

Edit to add: Again, read what I wrote. I wrote nothing about making people suffer. You can go on and on all you wish but I am speaking about those who only suffer their own delusions, because they are too foolish to look around them, not those suffering from disease, illness or pain.

You might not agree with my stance but your saying it is stupid and selfish is nothing more than an opinion much like my saying killing yourself for no reason is selfish. As I said if you are not suffering there is no reason to wish to end your life other than selfish reasons.

Raist

[edit on 7/17/10 by Raist]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have to say i do not agree with suicide but i understand.

I had a friend who had breast cancer for almost 5 years. She was so far gone that she couldnt get out of bed by herself anymore. Long story short she ended up taking and entire bottle of oxycotton and running her car in the garage with the door closed. On top of all this her husband of 20 years had been having an affair.

So im sure you can imagine i have strong feelings about this. However, I will spare you a long read, If a person is suffering for that long and they are terminal anyway it should be there choice and nobody elses.
Period

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
this is stupid, why the hell does it matter if suicide is law or not, what are they gonna do arrest your corpse? it appears from some of the posters that they have experiences in which the knew terminally ill people that wanted a medical end, but because they were denied they kept fightin on, this doesnt make sense to me,

if they realy wanted suicide then do it, theres no need to seek approval, it seems perhaps because they wanted the peacfull in your sleep type death, well this is possible and easy with many over the counter drugs, so screw third party approval,

however i do understand these life insurance consequences, i think that is stupid to deny on the grounds of suicide, but then they shouldnt have picked a life insurance with such policies.

also i think the non-voluntary and involuntary suicide is not that but murder, they should not do this to the unwilling unless it is a very extreme circumstance which should rest on more then just the one docs opinion including family members.

through tough times in my life suicide was contemplated but i have taken an oath to myself to swear i will never embrace that thought again, yet if something unforseen changes my mind, like a horrible torturous terminal illness, if i suddenly do want to commit suicide and my doctor tells me no, like hell if that would stop me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join