It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Forums Need Clarity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My name is Kevin Bailey, I reside in a relatively small city of 100,000 called Guelph. I am (if it matters) a Canadian.

I have been viewing these threads for longer than most of you have been members, even those who have a high notoriety in this community. I am only 26 years of age, and was quite young when I chanced upon these forums. Back then, I was only looking for answers/understanding towards a plethora of unrelated things.

I cannot express to you how much these forums changed my perception of reality. I was YOUNG, and these forums literally changed my thought patterns. Something for witch I am grateful for, it has put me in a position to quantify the vast majority of claims, stories, sightings, and theories that are presented here.

Something is to be said about then and now. Back then, it was more a more tight knit community, as should be expected because the number of members was significantly lower. As such, members spoke almost as if they knew each other and dare I say respected each other. When threads would pop up, there was a real effort within the boards to offer CLARITY on the thread. Objective opinions, articles and data was CONSTANTLY updated to the threads, it was a simple place to come to and find COMPREHENSIVE information in ONE thread. Example, back then when they talked about abductions, somebody wouldn't simply post a new thread about their experiences, it would show up in another thread where dozens have been sharing similar experiences. Now its just a fight to get attention. WE LITERALLY HAVE PROCLAIMED ABDUCTEES BASHING EACH OTHER ON THESE BOARDS TODAY. How did this happen?

We have conspiracy theorists (I use this term loosely) discounting other theories that have just as much **BASIS IN REALITY** as the other. Instead of trying to find the link. I'll have to end my little rant for now....it was just a taste I suppose.

I've signed up to offer what I believe is Clarity to a lot of issues and theories surrounding these boards. I am here to show you that a lot of you are looking for answers and they are RIGHT here on these boards, you simply have to work together to find it among this jungle of a mess that has become these forums. And MOST importantly is to READ THE SLOGAN for this website....Deny ignorance...Let me just say, that these boards have become ignorant. When you come here to deny the ignorance that is fed to you by the powers that be and then turn around and be IGNORANT to others who feel the same hopelessness for this earth as you do, what would you call yourselves. I clearly do not speak for all members.....just most.

I will make my mandatory 20 posts in other threads before I offer my thoughts in their appropriate board...

I look forward to the comings months

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iameternity

Hi Kevin , I will bump this to the front page for you . I see you have a few flags already , most people here are under the false impression that flags keep a thread on the front page .

I've mentioned numerous times that it is replies that keep it on the front page , but I think this has gone mostly unheeded .

I understand what you are saying , but I can't see it changing much , what with the traffic this site generates .

Welcome , and good luck .

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
you're right, of course. but it's a business and more members posting more junk is more eyes and clicks and more pennies. so it's not going to change. other thing is, you know, we always look on the way it used to be as better. sometimes that's true, sometimes, it's not.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hello and welcome. If you want to get your twenty so you can give us all clarity via a thread, you might want to post more than once in the more than 2 months since you registered. Just saying...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

everybody's got their own pace. i don't think i posted jack until over a year after i finally signed up. if it was true that you only posted when you had something interesting and original to say, 99.9% of us would have less carpal-tunnel and the boards'd be a lot leaner and cleaner. just sayin'. (obviously, i got over that.)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hello Kevin,

Your thread brings up some fine points. Some of which are being discussed in the thread below.

I think ATS is just going through growing pains.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keep on posting. I will look forward to another sane soul here.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
re: Chamberf=6.....Why are you on these threads? you yourself must be looking for something right? Something here intrigues you, as it does me. I'm not too sure what your intentions were when you decided to join these forums, but they were your own. My intention is to share what I have come to learn from years of observing the various topics here. There are hundreds of thousands of threads on this website proclaiming a vast array of things, all competing for the attention of those who are willing to believe or just listen. These days, more often than not, it seems that some will say just about anything to be heard on these boards, and there is a VAST array of outright silly or misguided threads to sift through before one can find some satisfaction with the knowledge they came here to find.

The amount of vastly important information that can be found on this site is astounding. What is more astounding however is the lack of an overall effort on behalf of this community as a whole to try and quantify all these things.

re: Sanity Lost....I agree that this site is going through some growing pains. It is however more serious than that. The Clarity I speak of is irrelevant in terms of this entire community...There is simply too much to sift through for me to EVER make a noticeable dent in the perceptions of the members here. The Site is already lost in those terms. My solace will come from knowing that somewhere in these threads there is a serious effort on behalf of some (I hope to include myself) to offer a mindset(?) and a basis on witch to start in order to find answers. I'm not going to let this site grow and lose itself without offering it a piece of my mind. As I have said, this site has a lot to do with how my brain matured over the years, I find it fitting to offer something back before it becomes total chaos here.

Now...on to my main reason for posting in this thread again. and I might very well have to refer a lot of people to this post in the future...

I do not nor will I EVER claim to have all the answers.

I do not fear being wrong because being wrong is not a sign of being stupid, simply misguided. I say this because in the future I will simply tell others they are wrong...and some people REALLY need to be told this. It is not an attack on you, but an attack on the perception you've come to believe. If you are here at ATS and are NOT ready to have your perceptions questioned and picked at then you need not be here. In society we are the minority questioning to perceptions of most people who exist. It's hypocritical to come here and be upset about being wrong. For the record I'm always open to being wrong, I just doubt it most of the time.

If you're here to get all pissed off lippy when I offer differing opinions, I'll simply ignore you. If you want to have a serious discussion to try and sway my P.O.V. then I welcome you, but beware... I will do the same to you

The hardest thing I believe is going to be how the radical members (of witch there is plenty) take this information...But I suppose, more than anyone else, they are the ones I would like to reach the most...not those of you who are already agreeing with me (as much as I appreciate it)

It's really late here...My apologies for a lack of cohesiveness in this post as I am getting tired and my thoughts aren't getting to my fingertips.

Kevin Bailey

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This happens with everything in life. When you first encounter it, it is the best thing since sliced bread. After years of using it or being part of it, it is worse then you first saw it. Its psychological.

No offense intended, but instead of talking about how bad things have gotten and how they can be better, perhaps you can be an example of the kind of member your hoping we can all become?

Personally, these being forums, you can't expect people to treat these forums different then other forums on the internet. If you expect the kind of change you propose its perhaps smart to provide a technological tool that would facilitate that idea better, then a forum would.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iameternity
My name is Kevin Bailey, I reside in a relatively small city of 100,000 called Guelph. I am (if it matters) a Canadian.

I have been viewing these threads for longer than most of you have been members, even those who have a high notoriety in this community. I am only 26 years of age, and was quite young when I chanced upon these forums. Back then, I was only looking for answers/understanding towards a plethora of unrelated things.

I cannot express to you how much these forums changed my perception of reality. I was YOUNG, and these forums literally changed my thought patterns. Something for witch I am grateful for, it has put me in a position to quantify the vast majority of claims, stories, sightings, and theories that are presented here.

Something is to be said about then and now. Back then, it was more a more tight knit community, as should be expected because the number of members was significantly lower. As such, members spoke almost as if they knew each other and dare I say respected each other. When threads would pop up, there was a real effort within the boards to offer CLARITY on the thread. Objective opinions, articles and data was CONSTANTLY updated to the threads, it was a simple place to come to and find COMPREHENSIVE information in ONE thread. Example, back then when they talked about abductions, somebody wouldn't simply post a new thread about their experiences, it would show up in another thread where dozens have been sharing similar experiences. Now its just a fight to get attention. WE LITERALLY HAVE PROCLAIMED ABDUCTEES BASHING EACH OTHER ON THESE BOARDS TODAY. How did this happen?

We have conspiracy theorists (I use this term loosely) discounting other theories that have just as much **BASIS IN REALITY** as the other. Instead of trying to find the link. I'll have to end my little rant for now....it was just a taste I suppose.

I've signed up to offer what I believe is Clarity to a lot of issues and theories surrounding these boards. I am here to show you that a lot of you are looking for answers and they are RIGHT here on these boards, you simply have to work together to find it among this jungle of a mess that has become these forums. And MOST importantly is to READ THE SLOGAN for this website....Deny ignorance...Let me just say, that these boards have become ignorant. When you come here to deny the ignorance that is fed to you by the powers that be and then turn around and be IGNORANT to others who feel the same hopelessness for this earth as you do, what would you call yourselves. I clearly do not speak for all members.....just most.

I will make my mandatory 20 posts in other threads before I offer my thoughts in their appropriate board...

I look forward to the comings months

I agree 100%. I have been a very very long time lurker. I usually don't even put in my input(unless its a comical thread). I just like to read and learn. Lately well within the past few 6months - 1year it has really went down. I have to rifle through many topics and arguments to find the good posts.

S&F great post.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
re: espyderman...This has absolutely nothing to do with psychology. What you are speaking of sounds more like the honeymoon phase when you first start dating, I don't think I went through that with ATS. What I am speaking of when I mention "Clarity" is a sociological issue within these forums. While there are a few members here with psychological issues, they hardly determine the reasoning as to why there is such distance and close mindedness between users in a place that calls itself a community.

Think of ATS as a window...a really dirty window. that dirt is represented by the ludicrous amount of threads that offer some *variations of insight* That could be really confusing to some people. If we wipe all this dirt away we could (and I hate to sound repetitive) see more clearly.

You seem to be mistaking my intentions here. I'm not here to change these forums or the members who participate in it. I don't hope for you or anyone to become anything. There are already people here looking through this clouded glass called ATS who come here for answers but log off with more questions. THE ANSWERS ARE HERE, and I'm going to show those willing to take the time to read my posts.

I'm not on some kind of quest to change the social structure of ATS, it's lost and won't be regained. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I can't offer my view from years of observing the threads here. I said "These forums need clarity" and I'm going to try and give it to those who are looking. Frankly, as long as I go through with this, I'll be happy...regardless of replies or lack there of.

17 posts to go

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Hi Kevin, and welcome to the ATS community. For now, you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only.
Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

NEW! ATS Video Tutorials

Terms & Conditions Lite!

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Moderator.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If you'd like to chat about this over a beer I'd be more than willing to get together. I've shared beers with many members and Guelph is only 25 minutes away.

top topics

join