It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP says oil has stopped leaking

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

By chance were you able to capture some screen shots? I missed the red stuff coming out and would like to see it.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I am just wondering if there is any estimation on how long until things are back to normal if the leak has stopped? Things like cleanup and what not. Can this really kill our ocean?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think the bottomline is that if BP had done nothing except work on the relief wells, and not tried this risky move, than their shares would stay flat, or continue their plunge. However, BP shares are now rising, and they have a chance to get some more oil of the riser that they can sell. As long as they have the MSM, reporting 'happy tidbits' about pressure rising to optimal levels, their stocks will be rising every bot of the way.

New Orleans, Louisiana (CNN) -- Pressure was rising Friday as BP continued testing its breached Gulf of Mexico well with no evidence so far that other leaks exist, said BP's Senior Vice President Kent Wells.

Wells said pressure was up to 6,700 psi (pounds per square inch) inside the well's capping stack. BP was looking for an optimal 8,000 psi, which would indicate that no oil was being forced out through a leak and that the well was undamaged and able to withstand the pressure of the cap.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ArkayikRuination

That is a good question. All of the MSM says that 20 years after the Exxon Valdez spill that they are still finding oil on the beaches in places. I think the length of this disaster will be determined by the level of effort put forth into the clean up effort. If it is an 'all hands on deck' approach by the FEDS, than it might be only a few years.

Plus, we still do not know a lot of things like:

What do we do about the underwater oil plumes?
COREXIT and its potential for damage?
Hurricane season getting into high gear in August?
Will this plug work?
Has the Sea floor stabilized?

I am afraid that this nightmare will go on for years and years.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
If the well can still be used, it needs to be nationalized to help pay for all the damage done. Honestly I'd be a joke if they think they can trash the gulf and still keep the well.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by micpsi

By chance were you able to capture some screen shots? I missed the red stuff coming out and would like to see it.

No. But I found a video on YouTube showing the stuff coming directly out of the sea bed. There is no question of it being sediment disturbed by turbulence from the ROV's propellers.
www.youtube.com...
Here is slow-motion footage of oil seeping from cracks in the sea bed:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-7-2010 by micpsi]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Good find. That is so creepy looking.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I agree with you...but, it does seem like what BP wants, they get. COREXIT is a good example. The FED said no, BP said yes, BP kept using it.

Any money coming out of that well should indeed be used for the clean up.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I wanna address the last several posters.

1. Yes the stock prices are up as a result of this risky move, but itwas still necessary to test the integrity of the bore casing. The relief wells would have been worthless just like the top kill if there was major damage below th sea floor.

2. Yes, the Exxon Valdez still has major impacts 20 years after the fact, and it was a drop in the bucket compared to this! This oil is a mile under the surface, and it is impossible to contain or clean up. I expect two years of major work on cleanup and containment, but I expect centuries of surprise oil contamination. Every major hurricane will bring new oil into new places.

As a resident of the Gulf Coast, I know how the storms change things. We often find 300 year old ship wrecks within walking distance of the shoreline after a storm. Giant beds of seaweed will wash for hundreds of miles and turn up on shore after a storm. The oil will be the same way.

3. No matter how bad this is, at least there is some good news now. If the valve is building pressure, then the leak can be controlled immediately, and the relief wells have a very high probability of working!! If the leak is stopped before the end of summer, then the Gulf Coast lifestyle will not be dead and gone. By next summer, the tourists can return, the fishermen can return, and we can begin healing. No matter how much you hate BP for this disaster, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Good news is still good news!!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Good news is good news. To go from 60,000 BPD to zero is really important.

My family that lives in Panama City is super excited as they do charter tourist trips in the Gulf.

But this accident was what, 5X or 10X the scope of Valdez?

My point is that I think none of us know how long the clean up will be, since we do not know the extent of the underwater oil plumes, nor the effects of COREXIT. If any of us knew that info, than more accurate predictions could take place in regards to the clean up effort.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

Agreed! However, on this site good news is bad news as it ends everyone's fun and then they have to find a new conspiracy to fear monger. People on this site are messed up and never learn that things aren't the way they see them as. Once this leak is stopped no one on ats will care anymore and just move on to the next biggest topic of the year. Kind of sad...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by A Novel

I remember when everyone was yelling on here that the Iceland volcano was going to blow up the world. I spent so much time posting seismo links to the contrary, but no one listnened to science, just hysteria.

I cite that as an example to why I partially agree with you about the oil spill. Yes, this is great news that is stopped. But unlike the volcano which stopped, these effects are going to be felt for a long time, and I have been ticked about the whole COREXIT thing since it first came out.

This oil spill is far from over, even though I wish it was done now.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I am not sure how to take this bit from CNN just now:

Retired Adm. Thad Allen, government's oil response manager, issued a statement saying that it "remains likely" that sending the oil to containment ships will be the avenue officials decide to pursue after the test, until the relief wells are ready.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Reply to post by lasertaglover

That was the plan before they even put the new cap on. This cap is designed to distribute oil to four ships instead of three. Strange that when good news comes this site talks less...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
so i'm glad that"oils well "that "ends well" ha ha ha ..
back to our top story-
terrorist immigration ok'ed by balck muslim "president"..
the Pentagon will respond..more funds needed.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by A Novel

I noticed that it seems like a lot of the BP threads have slowed down a lot since the news broke of it being stopped.

I hope that is because everyone is collectively holding their breaths, waiting to see what happens. To me, it feels like the moment when you get to the top of the first hill on a roller coaster...you are kinda floating a second before everything goes crazy.

It would be great if this roller coaster can go full speed ahead on just the clean up, but a lot of us are waiting to see if the pressure stabilizes, and what other consequences are going to arise with this situation.

And even though it has stopped, there is still a million plus gallons of COREXIT, plus the millions of gallons of oil to deal with. Even Obama today said that it was good news, but that everyone needs to be cautious and realize that there is still so much to do until this leak is completely capped off.

So yeah it has stopped for now, please let this work, and can we please get a real idea from somewhere, anywhere of what the underwater consequences really are?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Soooooooo.........?

The Test is going well, but BP stock is going down, and the DOW is going down a lot.......and there was a thread last night about 2 key energy and electronics companies that had an unusual amount of "short" calls, or bets on them going way down in price?

If the well is capped, then BP stock should be going up?

If the well is capped, then the outlook for the coast gets better, and the economic climate for a large part of the US starts to look better?

WTH is going on?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This video is proof that oil is leaking from cracks in the fractured sea bed. The ones who were monitoring the live feeds before nearly all the ROV's went offline also saw these plumes along with black oil droplets and bubbles seeping through as well. BP is lying and I'm sure people are on to them by now. Their stock should fall. They shouldn't get away with this.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

You are correct. There were a lot of screen captures of the ROV's showing oil seeping from the ground many times on different threads here on ATS.

I wish the US Navy would get involved with their own equipment and verify what is happening down there. I wonder why they haven't? Or have they and they are not telling us what they have found? How deep can our subs go anyway? I was a ground soldier, not a seamen (pardon the bad joke).

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Oil seeping from the sea floor is not a problem as long as it is near the BOP and riser. The Relief Wells are intersecting the well casing 15,000 feet below the sea floor.

Originally they thought that 15 or 20 feet of pipe could be filled with mud and the "Top Kill" procedure might work. So imagine how effective 15,000 feet of mud will be.

Now, if there is a very, very deep fracture, then it could be a problem, but nobody is expecting that. The sea floor seepage from this well will stop once the relief wells are successful.

Besides, there is no argument that the open, spewing pipe was the main leak! If they get that fixed, we have made a significant improvement. Lets focus on what we CAN do for now.
We can tweak and fix the smaller stuff later.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join