It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP says oil has stopped leaking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

BP says oil has stopped leaking

www.bbc.co.uk

BP says it has temporarily stopped oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico from its leaking well.

It is the first time the flow has stopped since an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig on 20 April.

The well has been sealed with a cap as part of a test of its integrity that could last up to 48 hours
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
They have lied about so many things up until now...does this mean they got it right this time?

Anyone watching the videos until now know that they oil has been spewing out in an unusual manner today, supposedly as a result of their testing. Anyone believe this is the end of the leak?

And BP said they are within 100 feet of the relief well right now. Why the sudden rush to do something, when they have been doing nothing for so long? Thoughts and comments please!!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I have been using:

www.sanaracreations.fi...

And it is weird that as soon as they announce they have stopped the leak, the cams are all frozen...anyone else having cam issues to verify the actual stoppage of the leak?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I guess the cam issue could be server overload...but it is really hard to trust BP right now about anything.

BP needs to dedicate on ROV to the pressure gauges so that we can all see just what the heck is going on!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
www.jtnog.org...

streaming fine and I don't see any cams focused on the oil...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
They just stated that they do not use gauges to measure the pressure of the well, those are ROV's gauges.

The tweet said they use transducers to measure pressure.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

Thanks for that link! And you are right...no cams on anything important...it is so frustrating dealing with these morons!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Well, whatever the method of measuring, the public has the clear right to be able to monitor those as well. I just read that they are going to monitor it like this for 48 hours. What happened to the six hours, check, six hours, check idea that they talked about until now?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

They haven't been doing "nothing".

They have been drilling a relief well that is supposed to be the thing that should make it fixed permanetly. Everyone and their mommas have said the only thing that will work is a relief well.

They built it. Did you want them to waste time and resources coming up with something that probably would fail within days if not hours? Giant ball of crap stuffed in the whole didn't work so well if I remember correctly.

This is not post defending BP, but lets call a spade a spade. They did what needed to be done to fix the problem.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The same thing is true of the sonar reading they are showing on one of the cams. Wouldn't we all like to know what those readings mean?

I am worried that BP has done what they have always done, and that is to rush forward blindly. We are dealing with the integrity of the riser, the well, and the entire seafloor here.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There is a shot of a gauge, and in another shot it appears that the leak has stopped.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

I know they have been drilling the relief well. What I meant though was that for a while we had so many different attempts, Top hat, Top Kill, and so forth. Now for the last month they have only been focusing on the relief well, and suddenly they have this new thing that is working.

Why did they not do this in the beggining? And why the sudden rush to get this done?

Methane buld-up? Sea floor cracking? Quarterly earnings statement coming up?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
They are so full of it.

As predicted here, BP say that they stopped the leak while forgetting the dozens of holes in the sea bed leaking oil.

If anybody notice it, they'll say it's natural...

BP being full of it again. Yay.

At least for now, for the overall picture, there's probably less oil leaking in the gulf... but still.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I just hope they have succeeded. If they have we should applaud it. I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to work a mile under water.

Then we should hang their decision makers involved in this spill out to dry.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Yes indeed, quarterly earnings are due and the stock jumped 7% today..

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You are so very right. BP has done nothing but cover their own assets since Day 1.

I want this leak to stop as bad as anyone. I have family that live along the coast in Florida. But I am more worried now than ever. Everytime BP has rushed something, they have royally screwed it up. Their own track record speaks for itself.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yes, and while everyone's watching the oil well........hmmmmm

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I can't see the cameras from my work computer, but I wouldn't expect them to be on the leak, I would expect them to be scanning the sea floor. This test is designed to test the integrity of the well below the sea floor. They are already pretty certain that their new cap and valve are going to work, but they don't know if the well casing is intact. If they close the valve, there is a chance that the leak will continue through the ruptured casings and the sea floor. That is why it will take 48 hours or so. The valve closes, the pressure builds, and if there are any leaks below the sea floor it will take a while for them to become apparent.

If the well casing is intact, then they begin pumping a controlled amount of oil through the new cap, and they continue drilling the relief wells, and everybody is happy!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I hope they have succeeded as well.

However I still think we need to have deployed our own US military in order to determine the actual flow rate. How can we hang them to dry if we do not know how much to fine them, since it is dependent on the amount of oil leaked?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

7% gain in stock value eh? Really!?!

That is sickening to think about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join