It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAUTION Giant Hogweed Invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I just seen this on www.sympatico.ca and found it quite interesting. Apparently here in Canada we have an invasion of a poisonous Asian plant. The Giant hogweed can grow up to almost 20 feet tall, or over 5 meters and is covered in small, blister-like pistules , containing a toxic sap. When exposed to sunlight this sap can burn your skin or if it comes in contact with your eye it can cause temporary or even permanent blindness. It has become a problem in St. John’s and on Vancouver island both so it is coast to coast.

The plant also crowds out native species and due to its wide, shallow root system it leaves the soil weak and susceptible to soil erosion along riverbanks. Even after it's removed or simply mowed down, the weed can easily reseed itself. Each plant can produce 50,000 winged seeds which can remain viable in the soil for up to 15 years.

If you see one they recommend contacting your local municipality to inform them of the whereabouts of the plant.

In the event you come in contact with one find shelter from the sun immediately. This will stop the sap from photosynthesizing and burning you. Wash the area thoroughly with soap and water. The skin can redden 24 hours after exposure. An inflammatory reaction usually occurs after three days. If you have a reaction, you are advised to see a doctor.

Plant description
It is can be 5.5 meters, 20 feet tall.
Has a purple, mottled stem
Huge leaves
And a meter-wide flower head of white blossoms

Giant Hogweed

Hogweed Stem

Hogweed Burn
nyis.info...

source
news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

GummB

edit

Thanky you mods for fixing my newbie location errors

next time I post it will be done properly. I can promise that to all of you. Sorry for any inconveniences

[edit on 15-7-2010 by GummB]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ive recently heard about this plant but can't say that I have seen any evidence of it here in Ontario (yet).

I wonder how it got its start in Canada?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Nice catch OP. I'm curious to know how or why this was brought here. I havn't seen anything like that in Ontario yet, although I can't say as I've been looking either. Thanks for the heads up.

PS - That is one UGLY plant/weed. Nasty.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

it said in the source they think it was brought here a while back by someone thinking it would be a showstoping-eyecatching-fancyplant, lol they were very wrong
I have yet to see it here in Alberta but my family has a place in Osoyoos, BC and there has been a bit of it there on the mountain side. Not 20 feet tall though, my god can you imagine a 20 foot toxic death plant taking over like that. I hope it never makes it out of St. John's. And I hope the people of St. Johns are a safe as possible.

edit. spelling

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Lots of them here in Russia. We call them Borshevik (almost like Bolshevik
). Every child here knows that it's dangerous, but it's a beautiful plant anyway.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Etherguide]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Etherguide

To be honest we are kind of soft here in Canada. I mean we have a couple rattle snakes or bears that could kill a person but other than that poision ivy is pretty much our biggest worry.
So send my to Russia or Australia and you'll probibly see a frightened man.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yes, it has been spotted in Toronto, see link www.680news.com... --poisonous-giant-hogweed-plant-spotted-in-toronto

I'll be sure to watch out for this while hiking and walking the dogs.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

Only the cover of mature plants is dangerous because substance on it exposes your skin to sunlight. But generally speaking it's a good plant. It's absolutely safe to eat. With this plant we make pickles, soup (tastes pretty much like chicken soup) and even salads.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Very interesting plant! My first reaction was that it looks like giant Queen Anne's lace aka wild carrot. The flower structure is a dead giveaway. A little research reveals that Giant Hogweed and Queen Anne's Lace and carrots are indeed related. I wonder if the roots are edible? The seeds are used as the spice "golmar" in Iranian cuisine.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by moonwilson]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Really, you can eat it. Its kinda of like moonshine then its good but be carefull you might go blind!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Really, you can eat it. Its kinda of like moonshine then its good but be carefull you might go blind!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GummB

Hi GummB!

One of the great things about this site - you learn something new everyday! Any chance of having a couple of bunches sent out to one or two of my ex-girlfriends?

Regarding Australia; there aren't sharks in every wave, snakes in every tree or deadly spiders under every rock - just most!

Peace!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Don't worry I'd come there willingly but you wouldn't find me flipping any rocks or looking up into anything, just observing the beauty from afar... Or moving quickly.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm curious if the young plants are edible as it is essentially just a parsnip. We eat the Cow Parsnip that grows wild here.

Wikipedia

Hogweed Borsch Recipe

edit on 6-7-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I asked my mother-in-law, a gardener, what those plants the OP posted were, she had no idea. But seeing the cow parsnip plant, i'm believing that's what the mystery plant is. The next one I come across, i'll look at it's roots, now knowing what to look for.

The plant, which were many at the campsite my inlaws were at, was seen at Turtle Mountain provincial park in Manitoba, right near the North Dakota border.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I remember there being a warning about giant hogweed here in Scotland (dont know if it was UK wide) in the late 70's / early 80's. As a kid running around in bushes, hedges and all sorts of crap it sort of put the fear into me and its stuck with me since. I think it was more of a warning for folk going fishing along river / canal banks and as they were called in the day, ramblers.

I still see it growing on a verge or in a hedgerow, kinda pretty but you know to keep well away.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
the Giant Hogweed is called 'Reuzen-berenklauw' in the Netherlands. And they have been here for some time, I remember my parents warning me over 20 years ago about the dangers of getting too close to them.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
i came here for giant weed...kinda a let down

new topics

top topics

join