It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education restricts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
An obvious point but one that needs to be made:

How many of us here could have achieved this if given the time and freedom to choose our education paths? -
Girl graduates early
I think this article serves as an example that the current education system is holding us back, it's supressing the powers we have to learn and keeping us all in a dumbed down state of semi-knowledge.

I think that if I and all those around me were allowed to learn at a pace that was not controlled by the government we would hold the knowledge we have now but from a much earlier age.

The education system restricts not educates.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
in this article, the woman bemoans not having much of a childhood because she spent it all studying and such...

I think too much of anything is unhealthy, even studying...its fantastic that she accomplished what she did of course.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Any study of the history of the American education system will show that it was designed and implemented to do just that-restrict ambition and create simple workers.
Recent 'innovations' in education have all but removed the few useful aspects of our intentionally mediocre education system and turned it into a near useless joke.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Its all about finding one's bliss. This girl's bliss just so happened to coincide with one of the many specialization paths created by industrialized society.

This video has been posted in some recent threads:

Threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=592919

Overall, we the people, must find a new system that somehow encourages one to follow their own path, without distractions of media, social pressures to conform, etc. I say "we the people" because "them the corporations" couldn't give two hoots.

I think this quote from William James, who I have been recently reading, is somewhat relevant:

"Let no youth have any anxiety about the upshot of his education, whatever the line of it may be. If he keep faithfully busy each hour of the working-day, he may safely leave the final result to itself. He can with perfect certainty count on waking up some fine morning, to find himself one of the competent ones of his generation, in whatever pursuit he may have singled out. Silently, between all the details of his business, the power of judging in all that class of matter will have built itself up within him as a possession that will never pass away. Young people should know this truth in advance. The ignorance of it has probably engendered more discouragement and faint-heartedness in youths embarking on arduous careers than all other causes put together." - William James

Anyway. ttyl

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
An obvious point but one that needs to be made:

How many of us here could have achieved this if given the time and freedom to choose our education paths? -
Girl graduates early
I think this article serves as an example that the current education system is holding us back, it's supressing the powers we have to learn and keeping us all in a dumbed down state of semi-knowledge.

I think that if I and all those around me were allowed to learn at a pace that was not controlled by the government we would hold the knowledge we have now but from a much earlier age.

The education system restricts not educates.

On the "flip side", it's also potentially allowing people who would be considered too stupid to graduate in years gone past to get a diploma and move on to be productive members of society instead of a drain.

The really smart, like this girl, will still flourish. It's hard to keep people like that down.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Steiner/Waldorf education is different.

Link in sig.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
School teaches you to be a happy slave.

Loans, acceptable standards, specialized fields, etc;

It is all conditioning to make you a corporate slave.

95% of the time +/- 20%

Students of life get the best education and learn the natural lessons intended for us.

join