It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic downturn helps military recruiting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Last year was the first time the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and the reserves met or exceeded their recruiting goals since the start of the all-volunteer force in 1973, according to numbers provided by the military.

The success of an all-volunteer force depends on convincing recruits it's a good deal compared with other choices, said Loren Thompson, a military analyst with the Lexington Institute. Military service attracts volunteers because people are rewarded on merit, get paid well, retire with good benefits and still have time for a second career, Thompson said. Source

What better way to boost recruitment in an era when there is no draft? The economy is in the trash, jobs are scarce, college scholarships are in short supply and many people are finding that they can’t afford college on their own.

Our military is spread very thin and troops are being wounded and killed. These people have to be replaced somehow from somewhere. Many already believe that our economy is being destroyed on purpose. Is the military option another justification for destroying our economy or just a side effect?

[edit on 7/15/2010 by darkelf]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have been having this same thought lately, thanks for bringing it to the table.

It is ironic because I tried to enlist about 17 years ago. I was in college pulling a 3.8 gpa but they wouldn't take me because I had a GED and not a diploma LOL!.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

It's actually damn near impossible to get into some positions because they are filled. I talked to a Coast Guard recruiter and they have more applicants than openings right now.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think this is pretty much common sense, else it should be. What else seems to be common sense is that more war is coming. You don't have to be a fear-monger to see that.

reply to post by Endure

That's very strange. I took the ASVAB about a year ago at age 26 and with a GED. They told me I'd get waivers for both and made NUKE without taking any additional testing.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I think this is pretty much common sense, else it should be. What else seems to be common sense is that more war is coming. You don't have to be a fear-monger to see that.

reply to post by Endure

That's very strange. I took the ASVAB about a year ago at age 26 and with a GED. They told me I'd get waivers for both and made NUKE without taking any additional testing.

Yeah I know, they relaxed the recruiting standards quite a bit after 9/11. When I tried to get in there wasn't anything going on at all.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This is normal. The economy is bad, a lot of people join the service.

And since that's happening, the military can pick and choose who they want to take it.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I was a Navy recruiter back in 88-89. I couldn't make goal because I was too honest. I don't believe that the military is for everyone. I think it can be a good stepping stone for some whether it is for job experience or college tuition. I just don't agree that either of these options is worth being used as cannon fodder.

top topics

join