It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mugabe threatens to flood the world with diamonds in unauthorised bid to bring Zimbabwe back from th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Diamonds are actually very plentiful but are made scarce by the DeBeers cartel regulation of them. Zimbabwe mines 25% of all diamonds mined. If Mugabe floods the world with diamonds their value will plummet. This will throw the diamond market into utter chaos. I know because thats the business I am in.
Well they ARE legal diamonds so I suppose He can do it if he wishes.

Problem for him is the diamonds are uncut so he would be flooding the world with uncut diamonds. Even if he sells them cheap they will end up in India for cutting (90% of all diamonds are cut in India) and be sold for whatever the Diamondtaires think they can get. He may send them to China for cutting and sell them already cut. THATS a problem. If He can get enough of them into the market it definitely WILL drive down the prices.

It won't last that long as he can only mine so many each month but for awhile you will likely be able to buy a diamond for a loved one at a bargain.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If the Chinese have trained cutters, they will snap those diamonds up. It fits their way of doing business and we've seen how they regard foreign cartels and trade restrictions. Any idea of Zimbabwe's diamond reserves? Versus production I mean, do they have a large stockpile? What portion of that 25% production is gem quality?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They produce 25% of the gem quality diamonds.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Maybe now he'll be killed?

Lines

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I can't see it as such a bad thing in one way, as the Debeers have way too much control in this market, IMO.

I can see it being unstablizing in a way if they do actually "flood" the market, and I do not see it being short term, because imagine the pile they must be sitting on.

Not only them, but once they release, panic selling may take over and people may start dumping in response. Of course, the wise thing to do would be to sit on it and wait it out, but again, you have no idea what they could be sitting on.

The market would take a devaluation, but then, I think it needs one. As it stands now, diamonds are mostly prohibitive for the majority of people. I don't see the harm in opening that market a little wider, not wide open - but wider. It just all comes down to greed, and just like with the Federal Reserve, maybe a change is needed.

I doubt it will go that far, but who knows. If it does, I can definitely see more panic selling, and more devaluation.

My main concern, of course, would be the whole "blood diamond" scenario. Get past that, I am fine.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

I love it, I hope they keep theiir promise!!!! I think that it'd be great it'd be an awesome wake up call for these slugs!!! Next we need the farmers to follow their lead!!!!

Guess I'll go into the diamond cutting business!!!! OHHHHHHHH now that would be something if we start buying them uncut and cutting them here in the US!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by gem_man
Diamonds are actually very plentiful but are made scarce by the DeBeers cartel regulation of them. Zimbabwe mines 25% of all diamonds mined. If Mugabe floods the world with diamonds their value will plummet. This will throw the diamond market into utter chaos. I know because thats the business I am in.
Well they ARE legal diamonds so I suppose He can do it if he wishes.

Problem for him is the diamonds are uncut so he would be flooding the world with uncut diamonds. Even if he sells them cheap they will end up in India for cutting (90% of all diamonds are cut in India) and be sold for whatever the Diamondtaires think they can get. He may send them to China for cutting and sell them already cut. THATS a problem. If He can get enough of them into the market it definitely WILL drive down the prices.

It won't last that long as he can only mine so many each month but for awhile you will likely be able to buy a diamond for a loved one at a bargain.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I think this is great news. I do not see how it would hurt your business at all. Cheaper diamonds means more sales.. it will balance out and you will still make your normal profit.

Selling 1 diamond for 10 dollars is the same as selling 10 diamonds for 1 dollar each. So you don't get to make 10 dollars on 10 diamonds.. so what.. you still have your same rate of profit coming in.. anything more is Greed.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I hope he does it, and does crash the diamond market! My wife has a very bitter grudge against me: I won't buy her another diamond, ever.

The artificial inflation of a product that promotes the slavery and savagery on this scale is something I refuse to take part in. As for "certified" diamonds, the cartels play such a shell game with those rocks you can never really be sure.

Besides, even by perpetrating the "value" of diamonds you end up socially pressuring others to buy blood diamonds, especially when sellers are doing everything possible in this economy to get the cheapest stones out there.

It's a pretty rock, and that's primarily the reason they are so expensive. I'm all for techno/industrial diamond use...it's a great material for certain applications, but as for bling...

...down with the pretty rock!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I hope this stays on the down low, or my butt is toast when my wife finds out.

If they get cheap she'll just want more

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The world has enough flooding this year.

Bling!

In all seriousness, at least a diamond is tangible. Not like the flood of currency the Fed is introducing.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well, in a free market, let the supply out, bring DeBeers down.

I've got a few rocks myself but their value is sentimental.

On a metaphysical level, diamonds reflects not only light but negativity and are protective. (So the thinking goes...that's why you are always having to clean them.)

They are said to help the wearer have a clear mind and be able to think better.
They give the wearers courage.

I personally think we need more of them in the world.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
OP, this could spell bad news for your business; and for that, I am sorry. However, I have no sympathy for any business that artificially inflates the fair market price. Be it oil, gold, food, diamonds...

Nobody likes being manipulated, so I hope they go forward with this; regardless of global economic consequences.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This would hit the international diamond and even worse the international banking cartel in the family jewels...if you know what I mean. Look at the history of diamonds and follow the money trail...BANKS!!! it will immediately drive the cost down because they are the ones who claim they are rare stones when they really are not. Watch the movie "Blood Diamond" to get a feel of how diamonds are used to fund wars and like.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have no problem with this move, but he will be bought off before he carries through with it.

The Russians/Soviets are famous for this ploy to raise hard cash. The last time I saw it was in the late 90's when the Russians threatened to flood markets with gold and other metals.

Never happened though. The markets took a hit from panic moves but that was about it.

I don't see the average person benefitting from this though. Mugabe loses revenue, Debeers would take a hit for a while in lower sales but that's about it. Any drop in price would be a windfall for the middle men and retailers.

If people are willing to swap gypsum for milk powder to increase revenues then there is little chance of them passing any significant savings on a diamond to the consumer.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The man has proven himself to be a despicable Despot with no one's interest at heart apart from his............ However I would be quite happy for there to be a flood of diamonds and a 'HIT' on the cartel that supports and over inflates the price of diamonds - that's probably them TPTB... about time something started to turn and break the cycle...

However much I do not like Pres ? Mugabe I do think he should do this................ Maybe a catalyst to bigger things occuring !!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe, like an earlier Poster, he will be 'KNOCKED OFF' now....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Capt Gizmo

What is your Avatar saying ??? " Boom and it's ..................?"

I'm just curious that's all.

Cheers
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If the diamond market did get flooded with product thus lowering the price I would finally be able to shower my fiancee in diamonds lol The one I put on her finger cost a good sum of money and I would like to get her more but can not justify the cost. However it would be devistating to the jewellery industry!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The only diamonds I will buy are certified Canadian diamonds.

I bought my first set of diamonds last week since I don't have any guy to buy me some..

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I would love to see the market get flooded with diamonds.
I don't care mmuch for them, as there is a reason everyone has heard the words Blood Diamond grouped together.
Let DeBeers fall they have held so much back that I'm sure they could stop intaking raw diamonds and still have ample supply to sell to the world until the end of time.
There is no reason for a rock or mineral that comes out of the ground should be so expensive.
And as for China, jewelry is not the only thing diamond is good for.
China supplies the world with powertools and alot of them have diamond bits/blades.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Capt Gizmo

What is your Avatar saying ??? " Boom and it's ..................?"

I'm just curious that's all.

Cheers
PurpleDOG UK

It say's Boom Head shot!
See here.......
www.youtube.com...
Remember it's just pretend...the guy is acting.

Back to topic....If the price does come down...I will be able to afford that diamond ring the little woman has been hounding me for, for years now.

[edit on 7/15/2010 by CaptGizmo]

[edit on 7/15/2010 by CaptGizmo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join