It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Ready to Deliver Fuel to Iran Despite Sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Russia Ready to Deliver Fuel to Iran Despite Sanctions

www.foxnews.com

Published July 14, 2010 | NewsCore

Russian companies were ready to supply fuel to Iran, despite unilateral U.S. and European Union sanctions targeting Tehran's oil and gas sectors, the Russian energy minister said Wednesday.

"Russian companies are prepared to deliver oil products to Iran. The possibility of delivering oil products to Iran exists, if there is a commercial interest," said Russian Energy Minister Sergei Shmatko.

Russia already expressed its dissatisfaction with sanction measures, agreed last month by the U.S. and the EU, to punish Iran for its defiance in the nuclear
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.france24.com
news.yahoo.com
www.straitstimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China objects to US sanctions against Iran, saying UN sanctions don't need expanding

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The support of unilateral US/EU sanctions against Iran are increasingly showing signs of strain, as Russia is now clearing the way for fuel to be delivered to Iran.

I started a thread awhile back, which I have linked to, that showed that China was opposing unilateral US sanctions, and the Russians have opposed it for some time as well. Now Russia is openly balking at the unilateral sanctions. History has shown that support for unilateral sanctions that exceed accepted UN sanctions tend to quickly dissipate, and could eventually undermine any sanctions that were agreed to initially.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Old news to the governments though. Posted the below report a while back.
Funny how the real situation is hidden from the public....

A new model of energy cooperation is being put in place in the region. It opens new pathways for transporting gas and, as regards Iran, makes a mockery of the threat of sanctions raised by the Western countries. The first, second and third largest reserves of gas in the world are held by Russia, Iran and Turkmenistan respectively. And in this affair, which will have profound consequences both for the strategy of the United States and for European ambitions in the field of energy, China has been playing since the beginning of the century the role of super consumer, par excellence.[/q]

www.esisc.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've been following this closely too. Thanks for posting this.

I'm not sure support was so strong from the get go. Israel had to lean very hard on China to get their vote, and I imagine the U.S. did some hard leaning on Russia too. This is not the first time they have expressed their opposition since the sanctions went into place.

India is also very concerned if not opposed (here). They in addition need the water to keep flowing (here).

Makes perfect sense. Russia wants control over the chokepoints to Asia (China and India need the oil, water, and natural gas) just like the U.S. does and just like the countries in the ME do. Iran happens to control some big ones.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Did any of you even pay attention to the sanctions?...

Russia AND China agreed to ONLY support these "sanctions" if they were still allowed to send Iran fuel and military equipment...

No, honestly. Look it up.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I read the sanctions themselves...they're cumulative...I believe it's a set of four. I didn't see that in there. This may have been in statements they made, but if it's in the sanctions themselves, I missed it there.

Also, I'm sure they "agreed" to a lot of stuff. I imagine a lot of pressuring we didn't see was in play there. We may hold the upper hand over Russia in some ways, but we don't have a whole lot over China. Relatively speaking. Neither country is really going to be bound by UN sanctions if push comes to shove anyway. They already know exactly what side of this they'd fall in on...theirs.

[edit on 7/15/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Russia and China agreed to the UN sanctions only. Neither Russia nor China agreed with the unilateral US/EU sanctions. Quite the opposite, they have been making it perfectly clear how much they disagree with the additional sanctions.

top topics

join