It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs over London, 9 July 2010 ..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Dave, seriously mate these are Chinese lanterns, I've seen many many of them over the years whilst going to Glastonbury festival, they go up in roughly the same direction getting higher and higher as they go, if you look closely you can also see the flickering of the orange flame that propels them, also I'd like to point out that there was wind that night because you can blatantly hear it in the first video, and Dave I am a believer, I've seen stuff I can't explain and know dam well they were nothing human so coming from one believer to another, these are nothing more than lanterns, keep looking up though!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
lights in the sky are unidentifiable flying objects until the person or persons come forward with evidence to prove what they are , until then they are ufos! its only speculation that there ets or lanterns i mean only the small orange lights !

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

To tell you the truth
man im sorry i put this post up now, i didn't really care weather they were lanterns or not i just thought its interesting that's all, i know all about ufos man iv seen about 10 ufos 7 different times since 1967, an i might add none of them were orange!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

Kindly point me to the part of the short and simple sentence where I claim to know anything.

Well, when you said:

A UFO wouldn't necessarily mimic a sky lantern.

it does come across as a somewhat definitive, doesn’t it?

I really don’t want to labour this point, but perhaps we have both left out explanatory terminology (as you rightly pointed out with regard to my post); so, if you’d prefixed that statement with “I have no idea, but maybe…” I wouldn’t have asked what has become a redundant question.

Let’s leave the hair-splitting aside, shall we?

You seem to be assuming that if it was a UFO that they are intentionally similar (or identical) to the lanterns. Again, not necessarily - who knows?

Agreed. Who knows? The OP seems to know that they are alien/unknown tech. My opinion is that they aren’t. I offered an explanation as to why I think they probably aren’t – and one poster has found a blog post that seems to correlate with the lantern explanation.

Still waiting on discussion to the contrary.

That's quite the assumption, is it not? We've gone from a discussion as to whether these are Chinese lanterns or UFOs, to you saying this. So to quote you: with all due respect, how do you know? (Jus askin...).

That was an “aside”, nothing more.

Indeed it is fair, and I'm interested to hear the answer too. Though I suspect he has already answered by saying how he's seen fireballs like this before.

I’m not denying that he may have seen a UFO personally, how can I?

Though, I hope you’ll agree, separate unverified, undocumented and unrecorded sightings are of little use as confirmation of this particular video portraying UFOs in the purest sense.

…it reminds me of a truck driver in England who was attacked by a big cat

No, that wasn’t a big cat, it was a Chinese Lion…

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE

Also, the orange lights were never flickering as with most lanterns, they looked constantly and steadily bright.

You can see them flickering in the video so how you can tell such a blatant lie with a straight face is beyond me. The reason this hasn't been reported is undoubtedly down to the fact that these are sky lanterns.

Hi there, I am the author of these videos and DCDAVECLARKE is only quoting me in his original post, he is not saying this himself, so put the blame on me.

You may see some flickering on the videos due to camera shaking, nothing else. I can assure you that what we have seen to the naked eye was perfectly and steadily, constantly bright without any flickering whatsoever.

Regards

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionTheGovernment

Look, Im all for alternative thinking, but theres being alternative , and then theres being a fantasist. My first UFO sighting was special to me, but on the evidence of three years of board trawling, I can say that I no longer believe that what I saw defies explaination. Im positive that what I saw was a flying lantern. Now , that doesnt mean I dont believe that there have been sightings , and visitations, and the like. In fact Im convinced that the possibility is high that we are and will continue to be, visited by intelligences from other worlds. However, where an individual case comes along, which screams lantern at me, guess what the hell I call it ? You got it, a lantern. You can bet your house that when something truely freaky occurs I will be as slack jawed and dumbfounded as true awe allows... but dont presume that people are wrong or mis informed just because thier opinion differs from your own. Such arrogance is appalling.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

Why do you regret posting? Because people are offering their opinions? (That's an actual question - in text it sounds more of a challenge than it is). The only reason people are 'arguing' with you about it is because everyone thinks that you are saying it's a UFO (and you are correct in the literal sense, but the term UFO is taken to mean alien or secret military project on ATS). You've refused for two pages to offer your actual opinion, and made statements like:

This is getting to be a pain in the arse! every time a UFO sighting is put up on ATS all the non believers come on quick to say Chinese lanterns! well iv see a lot of UFOs an they were not Chinese lanterns give me a break!

To me (and every other poster, it seems) that is you saying that you out-of-hand refuse to believe that these are lanterns. I hope that helps explain why people are posting the way they are.

The reason the lantern 'excuse' has become 'rampant', and someone said, is because the lanterns have become rampant. They are all over the damn place in recent months. The simple answer is very often the right one - that's not inability to think outside of the box, it's simple logic. A car just drove past the window - is it more likely that it is a car or a transformer? A cloud looks like a lion's head - is it more likely to be a cloud or a lion's head? Do you see what I mean?

If it looks like a Chinese lantern, and behaves like a Chinese lantern, it is probably a Chinese lantern, and saying so does not make someone a non-believer, a disinfo agent or an idiot jumping on the bandwagon.

I, personally, rarely take a side in things like this, as there is no way for me to know for sure. However, I can certainly say that probability lies with them being lanterns. That doesn't discount other possibilities.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo
Look at this Website and scroll down the comments to the User with the profile: exigo

I'll quote:
Posted: Friday 9 July 2010 11.23pm.
"Chinese lanterns floated down the Thames this evening. A beautifully tranquil sight"

Not much but proof that Chinese lanterns were in the London area that night from an impartial witness.
maybe it would be a good idea to contact him to confirm this...

Exigo saw Chinese lanterns FLOATING on the river, not FLYING...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

When all people can say now days is that every light in the sky you see is A lantern it gets pretty annoying none the less . But whatever floats your boat keeps it a float I guess.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by harryposter

thanks for coming to my rescue! i was just passing along your vid for others to see! i lived in west london for 35 years an saw at least 5 ufos !

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

If it looks like a Chinese lantern, and behaves like a Chinese lantern, it is probably a Chinese lantern, and saying so does not make someone a non-believer, a disinfo agent or an idiot jumping on the bandwagon.

I, personally, rarely take a side in things like this, as there is no way for me to know for sure. However, I can certainly say that probability lies with them being lanterns. That doesn't discount other possibilities.

Well said, and starred.

The most important thing you pointed out is that there could be other possibilities.

That’s what is crucial in the study of UFOs; decoding the meager evidence we have and removing the chaff from the wheat.

The highest probability is that these are lanterns, but any compelling evidence or argument to the contrary is most, most welcome.

After all, we’re all here to learn, aren’t we?

Edit: coding

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Beamish]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

talk to the man himself who made the vids "harryposter" iv had enough!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Just to clarify, the only reason I'm posing in detail to your replies is because this discussion has pretty much run its course, I think. There isn't much to say other than "It's a Chinese lantern", "No it's not, it's the secret MI9 space fleet coming home." Also because I don't like it when my words are misinterperated.

Originally posted by Beamish

it does come across as a somewhat definitive, doesn’t it?

It is not even close to definitive. Saying 'not necessarily' is saying that it isn't definitive! I said it would not necessarily mimic a lantern. That is very accurate. In other words (making a less intelligable sentence), it is not definitely mimicing a lantern. See? Ok, perhaps it is definitive in that I'm saying we definitely don't know. As far as I can tell, though, what I said was the opposite of definitive.

I’m not denying that he may have seen a UFO personally, how can I?

I'm not saying that you are denying it.

Though, I hope you’ll agree, separate unverified, undocumented and unrecorded sightings are of little use as confirmation of this particular video portraying UFOs in the purest sense.

I agree they are of little use to us but could very well be the reason the OP doesn't believe that they are anything so mundane as Chinese lanterns.

No, that wasn’t a big cat, it was a Chinese Lion…

Actually, I think it was the light of a Chinese lantern reflecting off swamp gas to look like a Chinese Lion, and by pure coincidence, a weather balloon happened to float past at the exact same time and scrape the side of his truck.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

If you have read what I had posted in this thread you come to the conclusion that I am on the fence keeping an open mind to all possibilities. To take that out of proportion and be appalled by my statements is asinine.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionTheGovernment

You are laughing and ridiculing people who are saying that they think its Chinese lanterns - to be honest, that does not sound like you are on the fence. I hope you can see why people might be confused.

I agree that it is annoying to come into a thread about UFOs and immediately see "It's a Chinese lantern" but the unfortunate fact is, there are a lot of Chinese lanterns being released recently. Until that started, orange glowing UFOs were quite rare, I believe.

Ram

link   
I think they are balloons.. With LEDs inside..

And the wind thing?
Wind might be different over there near the castle - than where this is filmed..

And It looks like they come from the castle on the left side of the panorama,.

I dunno..
And because it is Balloons - Does not mean they are Chinese!!!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Ram]

link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
reply to post by Goathief

This atha take the wind out of your sails, i just pasted the comment off youtube, its the people who shot the vid talking here an there French!

Hi Dave, thank you very much for quoting us and our videos.

I wanted to create a thread about this but as I am new here, I didn't have enough posts to do it, so thank you for taking the hassle to do it for us.

As we said in our comments, we still don't know what it was, UFOs or lanterns or whatever, and almost a week later there is still nothing about it in the news.

One thing that surprised me though and that I wish to add to my comments: how in the world can someone release so many lanterns over the heart of a major city, especially when they cross the flying paths of helicopters or airplanes preparing to land? There were a lot of these when it happened.

Wouldn't they have needed some sort of special permission?
If they had obtained one, there would have been no helicopter and no airplane flying across their path as they would have been diverted.

If they did this without permission however (if these were chinese lanterns that is), how come it took so long to have them stopped?

The sighting lasted for about 30 minutes in total and believe me, most of the time it doesn't take more than 10 minutes for the London Metropolitan Police to intervene, especially on such a major event.

Either way, UFOs or lanterns, there is definitely something in the way it happened that defies the logic.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryposter
Exigo saw Chinese lanterns FLOATING on the river, not FLYING...

Are you certain that he meant floating ON the river? Could he have meant that they were floating (ie flying) over, and in the direction of, the Thames?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I have never stated any opinion on the footage so where does that leave me? I have only commented on people's short comings when it come's to this subject take it as a grain of salt and don't be offended.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryposter
One thing that surprised me though and that I wish to add to my comments: how in the world can someone release so many lanterns over the heart of a major city, especially when they cross the flying paths of helicopters or airplanes preparing to land? There were a lot of these when it happened.

Were they flying across airport flight paths? Aircraft have to give towns/cities a wide berth (if they're low enough), so unless they crossed flight paths to the airport I don't think that would be an issue.

Wouldn't they have needed some sort of special permission?
If they had obtained one, there would have been no helicopter and no airplane flying across their path as they would have been diverted.

I have no idea if they'd need permission - possibly. Are you saying that there were planes and helicopters flying about the objects?

The sighting lasted for about 30 minutes in total and believe me, most of the time it doesn't take more than 10 minutes for the London Metropolitan Police to intervene, especially on such a major event.

Do you know that the police did not intervene? I don't know if they have a way to retrieve lanterns from mid-flight, so would you know if they were around somewhere? Also, wouldn't the police have responded whether it was lanterns OR UFOs?

When you say 'major event', do you mean the objects themselves, or was something happening at the same time?

Thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join