It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs over London, 9 July 2010 ..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
Well the French cat says in the last vid that they could'n be lanterns because of the fact there was no wind an they were moving to fast!

Little to no wind at ground level does not mean that there were no wind at higher altitude. Wind speed tend to increase with hight:

The wind speed at the different heights can vary tremendously, from no wind speed to wind speeds of hundreds of miles per hour.

In general, wind speeds are lowest near the ground and increase with height, up to several hundred feet above the ground. However,there are also special heights at which higher wind speeds are common - these higher wind speed areas are called jet streams.

A low level jet stream can form at the top of the temperature inversion at night, at about 100 to 300 feet, but is typically not more than about 50 miles per hour.

The upper level jet stream occurs at the top of the Troposphere, the lowest layer of the atmosphere, can occur at heights of anywhere from 20,000 to 45,000 feet, can be located just about anywhere in the United States depending on the weather situation, and can reach speeds of 200 miles per hour in rare cases. The typical wind speed in the upper level jet is 100 to 150 miles per hour.

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

I used the word "ALL" non believers, you do understand what the word all means? if so then dont patronize me !

Once again; who told you I’m a non believer?

There’s no need to get angry over contrary opinions.

Just because some people look on this type of video and try and rationalize what they’re seeing, doesn’t make them non believers. Sometimes you just have to be critical.

Remember that adage of Sherlock Holmes’ about when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

If we can successfully eliminate the possibility that the objects are sky lanterns, then we’re further along towards finding out what they are.

However, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…

And the question still remains; why would a UFO mimic a sky lantern?

Why do they not exhibit any obvious intelligently executed aerial maneuvers?

Very pleased indeed! how condescending! yes is the answer! i bet you have never seen a ufo in your life because i you had you would know the difference between the two!

Condescending? How is my saying that I’m pleased for you condescending? You need to calm down…

And you’re correct; I’ve never seen anything I can’t explain, but I'm still hoping. And that doesn’t stop me believing that there are things “up there” that are unexplainable.

A further question; how can you definitively tell the difference between sky lanterns and an extraterrestrial craft?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

seen lot (sic) of UFOs,,, "sic" is condescending! an i wasn't just referring to just you man i was (for the second time saying it) talking about all non believers, happy now? PS here's a few more lanterns i dont know these Chinese are everywhere lol,,,

[edit on 15-7-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beamish

And the question still remains; why would a UFO mimic a sky lantern?

A UFO wouldn't necessarily mimic a sky lantern. Just because it looks like one (assuming it's not one) doesn't mean it intentionally looks like it. Why would a sky lantern mimic a UFO?!

Why do they not exhibit any obvious intelligently executed aerial maneuvers?

What kind of maneuvers do you mean? My plane from Belfast to Bristol has never done any loop-the-loops or barrel rolls just because it could. If it was a UFO, it might just be on a relaxed journey, perhaps surveying the London nightlife. Who knows?

From the OPs description, it sounds like they were headed in a straight line, travelling at a pretty constant speed. That lends credance to them being lanterns also. Especially in light of the claim of there being 'no wind' - there would still likely be wind up there, but if its completely calm on the ground, it would be fairly calm up there, and wouldn't blow the lanterns about much.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The Chinese lantern explanation is getting old I agree with master shen long. Honestly you can tell me with A strait face that every time there's some type of unexplainable footage someone somewhere is lighting lanterns for some reason. Come on if you can believe something that ob seen then you need to open your mind a little and give yourself the ability to entertain the thought. Basically no one wants to here your lanterns theory because it so simple minded and people with no experience viewing footage can state lantern and have other people jump on the band wagon when in all reality no one knows what is being viewed. Just remember the light from Venus reflected of the swamp gas producing what looked like something but that didn't exist nothing to see here haha it's official now.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

seen lot (sic) of UFOs,,, "sic" is condescending!

Though this is slightly off-topic: when “sic” is used you’re saying that it isn’t to show that uncommon or archaic usage of a word has been reported faithfully?

Would you rather I corrected your spelling? (That is a rhetorical question, by the way).

an i wasent jut refering to just you man i was (for the second time saying it) talking about all non belivers, happy now?

That still indicates that you are tying me in with all those who have formed contrary opinions to yours.

Once again; how do you know I’m a non-believer? Just because I don’t agree with you?

And why dwell on your obvious dislike of skeptics rather than even speculating on my questions about the sky lantern/UFO comparison?

Are you saying that the objects in the videos absolutely are alien craft/unknown technology?

If so, why?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
They do look like chinese lanterns to me.

Here is where I am thankful.

I am thankful that fireworks are not automatically interpreted as UFOs every time that they are set off somewhere.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionTheGovernment

Want to know something?

I live and work in china and have never seen a chinese lantern here, EVER!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Look at the vids i just put up then get back to me!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
For heaven's sake, they are most definitely Chinese lanterns. In fact, they are one of the best examples of Chinese lanterns I have seen.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
UFOs used to be Multicoloured lights that zig-zagged across the sky at ultra-sonic speeds. Or your conventional Saucer/Triangle shaped crafts.

Ever since these Lanterns catched on UFO reports have been the same thing. Just orange lights that flow in the wind direction until they "disappear." It doesnt take a genius to figure out what they are.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

A UFO wouldn't necessarily mimic a sky lantern.

With all due respect, how do you know?

My question to the OP was if we are looking at unknown technology – as he seems to believe - blatantly flying above one of Earth’s busiest cities, therefore revealing themselves to the world, why do they just float along like, well, like Chinese lanterns?

Perhaps my use of “mimic” should have been followed by “movement”.

Granted we don’t know the mentality of any possible alien intelligence and their reasoning for openly flying above a crowded metropolis, but it is interesting to speculate as to why, if they were doing so intentionally, they chose to look like lanterns, and if they knew they did before hand.

Oh, this is going to get so unnecessarily complicated…

What kind of maneuvers do you mean? My plane from Belfast to Bristol has never done any loop-the-loops or barrel rolls just because it could. If it was a UFO, it might just be on a relaxed journey, perhaps surveying the London nightlife. Who knows?

You are quite right; expecting an unambiguous maneuver was perhaps asking too much!

(By the way; was your plane flying over alien territory openly and brazenly after years of appearing ambiguously from time to time, now happily showing itself to the indigenous populace in a display of its advanced technology so to prove that it isn’t a natural phenomenon? Jus askin…)

All I really want is for the OP to give me his opinion as to why he believes the lights in the video are not lanterns. That’s fair, isn’t it?

I’ve asked questions, legitimate ones, but received no replies other than the usual angry response alleged “non-believers” invariably get.

I’d really like the objects to be UFOs in the truest sense, but really don’t think they are, so it’s nice to get different perspectives and different opinions so a discussion can ensue.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Chinese lanterns IMO. I saw some in Jamaica on my honeymoon and they looked exactly the same. Was wondering what they were until one went up right down the beach from me.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Look at the vids i just put up then get back to me!

I did.

What have they to do with the original videos?

This thread isn't about whether UFOs exist, it's about a specific and recent sighting and your opinionas to why you believe it portrays real, alien/unknown technology.

Did you watch the videos I, and other posters, have put up? Can you not see the similarity?

Why are the lights in your videos absolutely UFOs as opposed to being anything else?

Edit: to add comment on additional vidoes added to OP's previous post.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Beamish]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

I swear man people just fallowing protocol its this easy light + sky=lantern haha. Simple explanation's work best because we all naturally fall in line with what is easily predetermined with no ability to go anywhere but inside the box.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by QuestionTheGovernment

I swear man people just fallowing protocol

Are you confusing so called “protocol” for people having opposing opinion?

…its this easy light + sky=lantern haha. Simple explanation's work best because we all naturally fall in line with what is easily predetermined with no ability to go anywhere but inside the box.

So, I’ll ask you the same question I asked the OP; why are the objects in the original videos absolutely not sky lanterns?

I’m open to learning something here; educate me as to how you know they’re not “ours”.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yes, it is getting unnecessarily complicated.

Originally posted by Beamish
reply to post by ShadowArcher

A UFO wouldn't necessarily mimic a sky lantern.

With all due respect, how do you know?

Kindly point me to the part of the short and simple sentence where I claim to know anything.

Perhaps my use of “mimic” should have been followed by “movement”.

Perhaps, but you didn't, and so I addressed the question that you actually asked.

Granted we don’t know the mentality of any possible alien intelligence and their reasoning for openly flying above a crowded metropolis, but it is interesting to speculate as to why, if they were doing so intentionally, they chose to look like lanterns, and if they knew they did before hand.

This is an elaboration on what I was addressing. 'If' is the key word there. You seem to be assuming that if it was a UFO that they are intentionally similar (or identical) to the lanterns. Again, not necessarily - who knows?

You are quite right; expecting an unambiguous maneuver was perhaps asking too much!

Yes, it is. To expect pointless maneuvering over what I can only assume is a fairly small area of airspace is to assume to know the UFO's intentions.

(By the way; was your plane flying over alien territory openly and brazenly after years of appearing ambiguously from time to time, now happily showing itself to the indigenous populace in a display of its advanced technology so to prove that it isn’t a natural phenomenon? Jus askin…)

That's quite the assumption, is it not? We've gone from a discussion as to whether these are Chinese lanterns or UFOs, to you saying this. So to quote you: with all due respect, how do you know? (Jus askin...).

You're right, it is getting needlessly complicated; especially when you bring into it the fact that neither of us even thinks its a UFO (except insofar as it is not 100% identified).

All I really want is for the OP to give me his opinion as to why he believes the lights in the video are not lanterns. That’s fair, isn’t it?

Indeed it is fair, and I'm interested to hear the answer too. Though I suspect he has already answered by saying how he's seen fireballs like this before. That's fair enough, I suppose - it reminds me of a truck driver in England who was attacked by a big cat (an actual big cat, not a large tabby!), and had the massive gashes down the side of his truck to prove it, and the police tried to tell him that it was a dog
People who do not see something in person cannot tell someone who has what that person 'really' saw.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HandBanana

Why are the lights in your videos absolutely UFOs as opposed to being anything else?

listen man there not my vids im just the messenger here! the postman got nothing to do with whats in the post!
anyway this thread is basically about the ufo phenomena so i have no problem putting up other vids with ufos on them just dont think that all ufos are lanterns i dont no what to make of the original vids, as god said once maybe maybe not!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

No one knows what they are that is the point predetermining the footage to be anything other then what it is can be done easily. It's lights in the sky there you go that's all I see. I haven't made a stance on what they are simply because I do not know like everyone else. So there for I will not say anything other then point out others inability to go anywhere but in the box. Using such a typical explanation that seems to have gone rampant on the internet would not be my first thought as well beamish.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
These are almost certainly chinese or sky lanterns. Im pig sick of the sight of them. They are my nemesis for the following reasons.
I guess the main reason which causes my ire toward these objects is that they are so well made and carry out thier purpose so damned well. That is , they are designed to loft themselves, and let the air take them where it will. I have witnessed such objects traveling at speed on numerous occasions, caught on coastal breezes. Because what wind or breeze which blows, does not always reach all the way to the ground, one might get the impression that the air is calm all the way to the beard of the almighty ...it never is, there is ALWAYS moving air , the further from the floor you get, the stronger the breeze ... certainly where these things are concerned. Therefore, one can witness one of these traveling at quite a fair lick, whilst being unaffected ones self by the breeze on which the lantern is floating rapidly into the distance.
The other thing that annoys me is the light they give off. When I first started visiting this site, and posting, I had seen an object floating in the sky, quickly joined by several others, and I had NEVER seen anything like them before. They scooted around the horizon in a way I could not recognise as being aircraft or any other known airbourne phenomena.
Years of posting, observing, and information gathering later, and I am convinced that what I saw that night was a group of lanterns.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join