It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explore The Red Planet in 3-D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
NASA and Microsoft Research has collaborated on this virtual telescope that enables you to explore the planet Mars in 3-D. Maybe this can yield some interesting results regarding this mysterious planet?

Now you can use WorldWide Telescope (WWT) to explore the features of Mars as never before, thanks to the addition of more than 13,000 incredibly detailed images of Mars from various NASA spacecraft. Zoom in on the Red Planet and experience the Martian surface in unbelievably lifelike 3-D rendering, and learn more about our planetary neighbor with new interactive guided tours of Mars.

Link to WorldWide Telescope: World Wide Telescope

Link to article regarding the subject: Red Planet in 3-D: NASA and Microsoft Explore "Is There Life on Mars?"

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I do not know what the difference is in the Mars image data but you can already do this in Google Earth. It has Moon and Mars as well as Earth.

The Microsoft World Wide Telescope web page says the data is on servers, so this means you can only view these images if you have a net connection. With Google Earth, the data can be viewed offline.

Anyone know if there is a full offline version of MS WWT with this data?

[edit on 15-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well, it's not limited to Mars. I'll let the WWT speak for itself:

Utilizing the Microsoft® high performance Visual Experience Engine™, WorldWide Telescope allows you explore the universe as never before. It enables you to seamlessly pan the sky and to zoom in on celestial features, including stars, nebulae, and planets. For every object, you’ll find multiple information sources at your fingertips, just a mouse click away.

I haven't used many programs like this, including the google program you are speaking of, but I believe this program might more extensive in what it can offer. I can't say this for a fact though.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie
Well, it's not limited to Mars. I'll let the WWT speak for itself:

Utilizing the Microsoft® high performance Visual Experience Engine™, WorldWide Telescope allows you explore the universe as never before. It enables you to seamlessly pan the sky and to zoom in on celestial features, including stars, nebulae, and planets. For every object, you’ll find multiple information sources at your fingertips, just a mouse click away.

I haven't used many programs like this, including the google program you are speaking of, but I believe this program might more extensive in what it can offer. I can't say this for a fact though.

Google Earth ( I forgot to mention) also has Google Sky built in.) and offline.. with it also you can pan and zoom around the heavens.. it's quite good as you first see a tiny speck in the distance, zoom in and suddenly a new huge picture which you can then zoom in further.

That's why I was wondering about the differences in the pictures and if there is an off line version.. I love this stuff but i am going out of town soon where i will not have a net connection for months. I would like to be able to take this with me on my laptop as well as my google earth.

I'm downloading it, and I'm going to try the mars thing.. if it does download mars data perhaps i can get it all saved to hard drive before I have to leave.. I'm kinda on call you see and can get the word to drop everything and leave at a moments notice.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
F&S Works for me.

Nice find. I am into the Red Planet currently.

Thanks for putting it up here.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This page says the Windows client has an off line mode. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:Xc5e3csRtScJ:www.worldwidetelescope.org/whatis/whatiswwt.aspx%3Fwwt%3Dwebclient+can+you+use+world +wide+telescope+mars+offline%3F&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

The web (browser) version does not.

EDIT:

I'm looking at it and there is an option for HiRISE imagery which is their highest resolution it seems.. it is quite good but does not cover the entire planet.. just spots of images here and there. I am going to compare the same area to google earth to see the difference.

If we are lucky, they will have high res images of the face on mars and other popular hot spots.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

If the quality is very high, and there is over 13 000 pictures, I can imagine this to be maybe several gigabytes. But I agree that it would be very nice to have an offline version of this as well. There are some neat features to it being an online version in that they can constantly update the program with new pictures and new functionalities.

The offline version might be a lighter version in that case?

reply to post by anon72

I'm glad you appreciate it, and I hope it can useful to you in the way you expect it to.

[edit on 15/7/10 by Droogie]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Love it!

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm not very good with these programs myself, but have any of you looked up the face on mars and the surrounding area with the supposed pyramids yet? Would be interesting if you could post any curious finds in this thread.

new topics

top topics

join