It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 States Back Arizona in U.S. Immigration Suit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

9 States Back Arizona in U.S. Immigration Suit

www.foxnews.com

Published July 15, 2010 | Associated Press

DETROIT -- States have the authority to enforce immigration laws and protect their borders, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said Wednesday in a legal brief on behalf of nine states supporting Arizona's immigration law.

Cox, one of five Republicans running for Michigan governor, said Michigan is the lead state backing Arizona in federal court and is joined by Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas and Virginia, as well as the Northern Mariana Islands.

The Arizona law, set to take effect July 29, direc

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
usatoday.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.huffingtonpost.com

mod edit, attempt to fix links

[edit on Thu Jul 15 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It would seem that at least some States are taking a stand for their sovereignty and telling the Federal government to take a hike. This will be interesting to see if this list of support for AZ grows any more in the coming days.

We are seeing this a bit more often lately, in States and People taking a stand against the overreaching power of the Federal government. I'm glad to see that more people are awakening. This is taking place not only on illegal immigration, but other issues such as the forced health care as well. Maybe there are more who are reading ATS than we may think.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I'm happy Michigan is one of them. When the governor didn't go to the supreme court she was almost as mad as the public that wanted her gone!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I don't know why the related links are showing the way they are. I entered them in the space provided, and I looked at the post in edit mode and the coding looks ok. Weird.

Anyway, here is the other link to Huffington Post if anyone wants to read it.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I just wanted to add if this is really more than just a "show" put on for us, then Jan Brewer, Az gov., needs to openly question the constitutional authority of Obama. There are other threads on here precisely about this subject but I just agree wholeheartedly. How can she say she's doing everything without asking openly and aloud the same question that MANY Americans are wondering: is Obama really a natural born citizen?

I think she could surely win or change the dynamics of her case very quickly by just even openly mentioning this.

Then I wonder if she could have even been threatened by TPTB during her "meetings" with Obama earlier.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Why doesn't she ask? There are no doubt several reasons:
1. She believes that he was born in Hawaii, as all the evidence so far attests to.
2. She doesn't want to waste her time tilting windmills.
3. Even if she were a "birther", she has sense enough to know that it really doesn't matter who finds proof of what, no one in any position of authority is going to initiate any action to remove a sitting president.
You could find documentary evidence that he was born in a secret government lab in China and while you would get a faction of the populace riled up, Barry would still serve out his term. If you want to effectively work against Mr. Soetoro, devote your time to something that has a chance of working.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by taskforce4256

Nice list. I still believe there is plenty of evidence pointing to his lying about where he was born.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
With all due respect, I really didn't think this story was about the birther issue. That topic has been covered in other threads.

This story has more to do with a number of States backing up another State and taking a stand against an overreaching Federal government.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
With a number of other states saying they were going to institute similar bills I believe in a few days this list will grow as well.

My state is one that announced they would create a similar bill but sadly they are not on this list as of yet. I hope they join rather soon. If they do I will officially have more respect and trust in my state government than the federal government.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I am also looking for the list of AZ supporting states to grow. I know that my state adopted a resolution as a show of support for AZ awhile back, but I haven't heard how much further they have gone. I do know they were discussing a similar bill, but they tend to get a little slow at times.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Honestly if they specified that they were protecting the State border in Arizona they could tell the Federal government to stuff it and no one could do anything. True the counter would be that federal trumps state, but that's when you smack the feds with the Constitution.

This whole topic has been blown out of proportion and twisted beyond recognition. My understanding is that the law specifically defines that they can only question immigration status AFTER an investigation has started into a crime in which they are suspect.

I'm surprised people aren't raising heck about seatbelt laws which are now being amended to allow car searches if you are pulled over for not wearing one. That is worse in my opinion, glad I don't drive, the police around here don't like me despite my best efforts.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
To all the states that are backing Arizona. I hope many more follow suit, actually I hope every single state follows suit, as it should be. All states should be "United" in this matter, it's about states' rights. States that back Arizona are also defending their own rights. As long as it's not unconstitutional states should be able to do whatever they think needs to be done for the betterment of their state.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
United we stand.

Divided we fall.

Where have I heard that? *scratches head*

Oh well, back to tweeting about gossip while the nation falls apart!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Funny thing is that the lawsuit that is being brought up by the by the federal government is not about the law being unconstitutional it is about the state trying to step in and do a job the federal government is supposed to be doing.

In other words, they are mad because their toes got stepped on. All those who say it is unconstitutional need to take a step back and read the law and what is taking place because they are dead wrong.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
WOOHOO!!

I'm a Floridian and a Missourian. I already posted a thread on how Missouri is way ahead of Arizona, now I see that Florida is backing Arizona!

I must say, I pick some pretty good states to live in. Our gubernatorial candidates are looking pretty good too! As long as Alex Sink doesn't win, all the others are pretty good candidates.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I believe that the issue should be boiled down to more simple questions and that the court will need to answer:
What does a state do, if the federal government does not uphold on its part of the social contract and enforce the laws of the country to which it is stating that it is a pre-emptive policy?
If the Arizona state law on illegale immigration is against the federal laws, then what of all of the sanctuary cities in the country which does nothing to stem the flow and offer safe haven to illegale immigrants of all walks of life?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is all about Obama wanting to create a pool of voters for the Democratic party. He knows that the legal citizens are catching on to his games and needs the illegals to give amnesty to so he can buy their support for the Democratic party. He does not care if he sells America down the drain as long as his party gets to stay in power.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm betting a lot more will soon be in on this.

In addition, if you will allow me my usual broken record soapbox on this, Wayne...

The hell with worrying about the federal government suing the states...get your states to sue (or counter-sue in some cases) the federal government for breech of contract in guarding our borders. Also, the federal government collects money illegally and makes virtually no effort to trace its origins, which most likely is from illegal activities. They launder illegal money, which is organized crime and probably prosecutable under the RICO act. Take this opportunity to clarify states rights and constitutionally prove the relatively limited job and responsibilities the federal government actually has as compared to what it has become.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I completely agree with Arizona and the law they have put forth to protect themselves.

It is every states right constitutionally to create laws within a subset government to aide the public in any facet in which they are capable. The federal government's only stipulation is that they do not violate federal law. And so far there is nothing saying they have violated any federal law.

A friend of mine has relatives that live in Arizona, this topic just came up a couple of days ago and she told me something interesting. Her mother lost her job a while back and was searching for work. Within 3 weeks of the enacting of this bill, the wanted ads went from a sparce half page to over 3 pages! Granted there will probably be alot of jobs that are not really high on the "most wanted" list, but needless to say the Arizona law put the wrath of law into illegal immigrants.

Our current and past leaders have chosen to "just naturalize them" in hopes that illegals will stop flowing into the united states. The simple fact is that our acceptance of Illegals doing what they're doing is exactly the reason that it is so bad.

If we take away the free health care, food stamps and free education for illegals then we will force them to come to america on job skills alone, to which I'm sorry to say that there are almost no skilled workers from Mexico and other southern countries. Take away their motivation and they will be forced to do things the right way, not the easy way.

Maybe then we can get some of our money back and stimulate our own economy. However the double edged sword to this is:

1. We need to stand united in support of Arizona and enact simliar laws
2. We need to teach our children that they have to work for a living, not get everything they want because they think they're entitled.
3. Take away "free" incentives for illegals to stay in this country

Good luck getting that done.

King

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I keep browsing around for any updates to this story, but so far nothing. I wonder if Obama and company are starting to feel any pressure with States starting to take a stand against them? Or has their narcissism grown to such an extent that they cannot feel or see anything?

I think what we are seeing more of is not so much the issue of illegal immigration only, but the issue of the rights of the States to exercise their sovereignty to enact laws and policies in order for their own citizens to be secure in their own person and property.

reply to post by ~Lucidity

~Lucidity, by all means feel free to bring out your soapbox whenever you wish. I've been known to break mine out from time to time.
I think I've even mentioned in a thread or two of where I think a counter-suit should be filed against the Feds. I think this suit is such a gross waste of taxpayer money that could be used for some other purpose.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join