It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: CIA paid Iran nuke scientist $5 million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Report: CIA paid Iran nuke scientist $5 million

dailycaller.com

The Iranian nuclear scientist who claims to have been abducted by the CIA was paid more than $5 million to provide intelligence on Iran’s nuclear program, according to a published report.

The scientist, Shahram Amiri, returned to Iran early Thursday where he was given a hero’s welcome after claiming he was abducted by U.S. agents and then offered $50 million to stay in the U.S.

Read more: dailycaller.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com

[edit on 7/15/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I searched and haven't seen this posted yet.

Does the CIA typically pay this much money? This and they offered him $50 million more to stray in the U.S. All of this just adds to the insanity of this story.

I honestly don't know what to make of it,

Reports say that he has returned to Iran.

dailycaller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sounds to me like a political whirpool going 'round and 'round.

It is only logical for a report like this to surface now right, I mean the timing is spot on? After the man mentions he was abducted by the US it becomes clear the CIA paid him money, so he wasn't really abducted he was just bribed into being abducted...how fitting. If you look closely you can see the source is FOX.

I WONDER WHY

(Not really
)

Thanks for the heads up Lucidity.

Edit: For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about: This is a typical example of psychological warfare.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Zamini]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
They should have no access to this amount of funds
they can't just decide to use taxpayer money whenever they feel like it

Abolish the CIA!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Erm, I think you didn't quite understand. The CIA has given the man nothing, it's a sham.

Even if they had given him someothing, he still hasn't gotten anything as can be read in the article, because of the sanctions being enforced on Iran.

Personally, I think the typewriting monkeys are on a strike and they have some humans working on the propaganda now.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Lets hope this guy doesn't get activated whilst in an Iranian nuclear power plant.
Most likely he will not be trusted in his field from now on and I certainly wouldn't allow him to work in nuclear technology ever again if I was the Iranian government.
Not sure what to make of this whole mess either. $5 million isn't really alot to sell out your country in this day and age it wouldn't last that long. Considering you could never go home and see your family again for fear of your life it's a pittance really.

www.washingtonpost.com...

"Anything he got is now beyond his reach, thanks to the financial sanctions on Iran," a U.S. official said. "He's gone, but his money's not. We have his information, and the Iranians have him."

Well it all worked out for the good guys in the end...

Apparently he left for fear the Tehran government would harm his family? If he hadn't of been abducted in the first place this problem if true would never have arisen.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

He also alleged that Israeli agents were present during the interrogations and that CIA officers offered him $50 million to remain in America. He gave no further details to back up the claims or shed any new light on his time in the United States, but promised to reveal more later.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.newsmaxworld.com...

Israeli agents? Yeah, I have no doubt that what he is saying is true about this tid-bit. So, we have an eye-witness as to Israel's involvement with turning the US against Iran. They were offering this cat American tax-dollars for an Israeli agenda. What's new?

--airspoon

Edite to add: I kind of believe this guy. Would you defect without your family, to include your 7 year old child? I don't think most people would. There is no way I would ever leave my child behind, it doesn't matter how much money they could offer.

On another note, what if the US has turned this guy into a CIA asset. he could be going back to Iran in an effort to spy on the Iranians and all of this hoopla is staged.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I read this article: www.msnbc.msn.com... and I found too much that is not making sense.

Hats off to the media for its superb journalism in promoting speculation in lieu of factual evidence. I do have to go on my own reasoning.

The guy does not look the worse for wear. Torture? I think that might be just a bit too strong of a word to use to describe his captivity. Offers of millions of dollars? That would be believable if the scientist had information of value. I think he was sent home because he did not know anything and the captivity and torture is a ruse. Either way, I can almost see the Iranian government still treating him as a traitor, even if his story were true.

I am going to make the guess that the scientist thought he could play the spy game and found out he was way out of his league. When the news leaked out, a cover story was invented on both sides of the fence.

PRESIDENT: "What is going on?"

CIA: "Mr President, we have always treated this matter on a need to know basis."

PRESIDENT: "I am the president. I need to know."

CIA: "Yeah, whatever.. Oops, gotta go get Iran all fired up again. I'll send you the report when it's too late to do anything."

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I really don't like that the CIA and Israeli agents are abducting people, torturing them, trying to get them to make up stuff about other countries that are not true, and then getting away with it. What criminals!
I mean, they do some pretty awful stuff here in the states, but to go and do the same stuff on the international stage is really not agreeable.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

The timing is interesting, yes. This actually appears to have started as a Washington Post story (here) picked up by AP and then RawStory (I think in that order). It showed up online on Fox first, followed by others.

Psychological indeed. Maybe with a few things gone awry? Still a very odd unfolding of events.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I know what you mean. The U.S. and Israel do appear to need some credibility and support in their accusations against Iran. Could well be this was part of the plan to get it, and, again, a plan that seems to have gone awry. I recall reading one story or another about this that said someone threatened to hurt his son if he didn't cooperate. And now we have the element of bribery plus the element of the $50M to stay in the U.S.

Seems like it's a lose-lose situation for him in any case now...whether the Iranians think he's there to spy or whether they don't.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by peggy m

Thanks for that link. Yes...have to agree on the speculation by the media...we don't have a lot of facts to go on here, so your logic and theory is as good as any. Interesting how in this article they say "captive or defector who got cold feet." We'll probably never know.

Also, never underestimate the power of psychological torture. That doesn't leave external marks. From this photo, it looks like he's been reunited with his son. At least that's some positive news. But again, his future is no doubt going to be rocky.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Iranian scientist was CIA asset for years: NYT

WASHINGTON — The Iranian scientist who spent 14 months in the United States in mysterious circumstances had been a CIA informant inside Iran for years, The New York Times reported Friday.

"Shahram Amiri described to American intelligence officers details of how a university in Tehran became the covert headquarters for the country?s nuclear efforts," the report said citing unnamed US officials.

"While still in Iran, he was also one of the sources for a much-disputed National Intelligence Estimate on Iran?s suspected weapons program, published in 2007," it further cited the officials as saying.

Source

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Have you noticed the North Korean defectee to China? Of course, with brilliant timing. It must be defecting season!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't really know what to make of this story.

Iran has no problem detaining and executing people it believes to be spies for the West.

If this guy was an actual CIA asset, I have to ask why would they let the information out? Surely this guy would be killed in Iran if he were found to be a CIA asset, especially since he has apparently relayed sensitive Iranian information to the US and CIA.

It all just doesn't add up for me.

new topics

top topics

join