It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina Senate approves same-sex marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Argentina Senate approves same-sex marriage

www.cbc.ca

Argentina's Senate voted in favour of a same-sex marriage bill, making it the first country in Latin America to grant same-sex marriages all the rights of heterosexual unions.

Senators voted in favour of the proposal early Thursday morning after 16 hours of debate in which every senator spoke, the BBC reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I just got back from that huge mob of people you see in the picture. It took 14 hours of debate but finally every homosexual citizen now has the very same rights as the rest of the people, including the right to adopt. It was a crazy night, when they announce it it felt like something important, like part of history. I figured that's what woman felt, for example, when they were given the right to vote. I'm actually very happy for my country now and I hope it will be an example to other countries around the world.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
lol......i wonder how long it will take before argentina starts rioting against this ruling. Latin america is major catholic.....very moral.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Most of the population is catholic and yet most of the population were agreeing on this law. There was a right wing group within the church which was loudly against it and they did a public manifestation (in which they obligated to a lot of christians to go), and they even put a lot of pressure to some senators. However this was not a religious discussion and within the Senate it was discussed as a human rights issue. In Argentina the catholic chuch has blessed the dictatorships we had a couple of decades ago, so luckily it's been a while since they are not taken very seriously when it comes to their opinion on human rights.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This only creates division. Better for governments to just not get involved with marriage at all and let the people desiring to be together worry about that.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
This only creates division. Better for governments to just not get involved with marriage at all and let the people desiring to be together worry about that.

I dont understand why more people dont get this.

Do they want government to approve Coke or Pepsi or both or just leave the whole thing alone?

What business does government or anyone for that matter have getting involved in the personal affairs of people?

Oh great, government "approves" of my relationship. Well, f-off. I dont want your approval of anything I do. What business is it of yours?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Way to go Argentina!

Way to show up the rest of the continent.

Welcome to the club of enlightened nations.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Gorman91

I dont understand why more people dont get this.

Do they want government to approve Coke or Pepsi or both or just leave the whole thing alone?

Yes, exactly. Marriage is for the most part a religious ceremony, it has no business in government. It should be removed.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

top topics

join