It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conversion bill dismays US senators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Now why would a US Senator want to get involved in the religious politics of a foriegn nation?

"WASHINGTON – A US senator has taken the rare step of drafting a letter expressing concern about Israel’s pending conversion legislation, underscoring the wide dismay the bill has triggered in the American Jewish community.

The letter from Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon), understood to be addressed to Israeli Ambassador to the US Michael Oren, outlines apprehensions over the bill’s language, according to sources familiar with the text. It is circulating for signatures from additional Jewish senators before being delivered to the embassy."

Let them worry about Americas problems and leave these foriegn internal matters to their own able legislatures.

www.jpost.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Weird that the us would want to get involved, but I don't understand the religious factions well enough to understand it or try to figure it out.

Like, I don't understand how an Isreali law should affect 85% OF American jews?

I'm so pagan though. I don't understand ANY of this homeland stuff. I read it and I hear it, but I don't get it. Probably never do. My homeland is where I am right now.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Well, I have to say first that my statement is not going to be supportive of the Jewish community at large, so for that I apologize, but it still stands.
If this new bill passes, it is noted as being one that will cause a rift in the bond of American Jews with Isreal. There are many Jews in our government and in power at large in the US. So, if this passes then there is essentially a division of the bond between the US and Israel.

So, my sentiment, although harsh, is that I cant see the downside for our country at large to have our bond with Israel damaged. I mean, Israel is afterall the country trying to get us into more hot water in the Middle East and trying to push us to a potential global war. The stance taken against Iran by Israel is only backed by the US because of our ties there.
Sever those and we might see a wide sweeping change in how the world at large sees us as a nation. We might also mend a few fences between our neighbors around the world.

So, while I understand that this is damaging to those of the Jewish faith, there is potentially a greater good here that should be explored before just begging that little country to "take me back".

join