It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Sniper Rifle right now ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
The best one is one with bullets and a guy that can shoot straight.

I have to agree. The best sniper weapon starts with the shooter. Anyone can shoot from a supported position and launch lead downrange. There is much more to it than that. You have to be able to judge distance well, read the wind, know ballistics, predict where that round will land first shot, every time. Now, having a weapon that can reliably do that is another matter. Supressed weapons are nice for close in work, but at ranges of 600 yds or more, supression is not as much an issue, as the sound will get there after the round hits. Shooting from a good hide, a sniper will seldom let more than one round go off before moving from cover to a new hide. I would submit that the 500 Whisper would be my vote for best performance up to 1 mile against soft targets, while the Barrett would do nicely against light armor. Using good match ammo in an equally fine match rifle, the .308 is a good tool to the trained sniper, but again, it all comes down to the person pulling the trigger.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I'm just a guy who likes to shoot. For 350m and under this is the gun i like to use, also multi target. 223.-5.56mm recoil pad and comp. has very little kick. I can keep the target engaged at all time.

Now for 350m plus I'd use no less then a .308-7.62mm NATO Ball. very deadly with this, I would not want to be on the other end. this a Savage, and a good scope. Who needs all the extra bull. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid!!!!!!!!

img78.photobucket.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">img78.photobucket.com... 01509_0.jpg

I'd like to add one thing, what about an incounter up close, C.Q.C. So i like to have a side arm too.
All the .50 cal. talk has me going crazy ,wish i had one, and a place to shot one.

[edit on 19-6-2004 by castellammare78]

[edit on 19-6-2004 by castellammare78]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
CoMrAdE_IvAn:

hey can you please send me the manual for the Dragunov SVD if you have it digitaly ?
Contact me over u2u please

castellammare78:
Both very nice weapons, wished i could keep weapons in italy, but aka we can not
(and its a bitch to get permission for even a hunting rifle)

Wolve

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekerX
also, should the army or other service branch begin using the Intervention .408 Cheyenne Tactical, it would be an excellent counter-sniper/anti-material platform (3000 yds. +)

world.guns.ru...

Yeah, the Chey Tac .408 with almost twise the energy and the range of .50 BMG is defenetly a nice pice of hardware.
BTW, have you seen the ballistics chart for the .408 ? that thing is a beast..

Originally posted by CoMrAdE_IvAn
Dragunov SVD for strength, power and reliability. Fires the good ol 7.62.

I have the official soviet manual for it.

The SVDB or SVDSB would be a better choice.

Originally posted by Kriskaos
Dragonuw Id go with the TABUK its a mod on the Drag but it can shoot in any condition you want.

Tabuk is a modification of the AKM if I remember correctly, and its not even half as good as the SVD series.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I would have to say that the best sniper rifle that is out right now would be the .50 caliber Berrett M82 series because you can completely blow somebody's head straight off of their shoulders with on shot with those guns. Not to mention that you can disable several different kinds of motor vehicles with one shot in the right place.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
different rifles do different jobs. thats always the case. fifties for light armor penetration, lapua for long range surefire o.s.o.k. p90 for silenced semi-far away tags

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You ppl are just basing your comments on appearances and popularity. Technically there is no "best" rifle. Each rifle is created with a different purpose in mind. A great rifle can be deemed awful if its used in the wrong conditions or if the ammunition or optics aren't up to par.

Those of you suggesting that 50's are the best should look into it more carefully. Most 50's have extremely hight recoil (exception to the M82) which makes it very difficult to make a good shot, not to mention maintain a clear sight picture after one shot. Due to the size of the bullet it is more heavily affected by wind and the elements thus making them significantly less accurate then a smaller caliber. When it comes to sharp shooting a small hole in the right place has the same effect as a big one. The M82 is popular as an anti armor rifle because of its 10 round cartridge and low recoil (due to the floating barrel and recoil dampening springs), which makes its semi automatic capabilities relatively usable. However with so many moving parts its accuracy is often greater then 1 MOA and sometimes 2.

I don't mean to put anybody down with this, I'm simply posting it as an FYI. In the spirit of the thread I would have to say that my personal favorite is the Sako TRG because of its great reputation, the precision to which they are built, and the high level of customization and adjustment. Available in all the standard calibers it can fit well into a large number of shooting categories. It's simplicity and rugged yet ergonomical build make it a very reliable all weather rifle.... nearly as much so as the SVD.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join