It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody here believe anything they read in the main stream media?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I do not want to suggest that the main stream media has a monopoly on the truth, but does anybody here believe anything they read in the main stream media? When a you watch CNN or read the Wall Street Journal do you think every story is a complete fabrication? Or are you willing to concede a large part of it is true, but it might contain a few omissions, misrepresentations or distortions?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The only things I believe in the mainstream are found in my local newspaper, they are:

Births
Deaths
Comics

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I don't believe anything I read or see in the mainstream media...

Same goes for "alternate media"..just because its edgy and not mainstream..doesn't mean it's trust-worthy either...l

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Is it wise to take 'anything' one reads at face value? There is [never] just one 'truth' and there isn't one world view so what one finds in MSM, or at ATS and other alternative sites, or in the history books, etc. will always have a slant or a bias. The trick is, figuring out what that bias is and being able to understand and 'see' that another side exists. As for news in general: As the old saying goes "trust, but verify"...

[edit on 15-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
People still read the mainstream media? I'm thinking those people would be a minority on this site.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

Lol. Well, given the majority of the Breaking News forum threads are pulled from MSM news sources, I'd say the answer is 'yes' people here do read MSM, for one reason or another.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
The only things I believe in the mainstream are found in my local newspaper, they are:

Births
Deaths
Comics

I came here to say something exactly along these lines!

I believe quite a few of the stories about celebrities....that's about it

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes, because it is easier to get people to believe lies if you mix them with some truth.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Exactly, I see a hell of a lot of mainstream media stuff pop up in here, and like it or not, the mainstream news is where nearly everyone relies on for true breaking events of major proportions.

All media has its flaws, including the mainstream, so-called alternative, and blogs etc. Oh and forums like this.

I find the advent of citizen journalism a blessing and a curse, given there is just as much if not way more incorrect, blatant propaganda spewing from anyone with a keyboard and internet connection, as there may be from traditional mainstream sources.

It's best to take everything with a grain of salt, do your own research and cross-checking, and formulate your own opinion rather than rely on one source (MSM) as opposed to another (alternative media). Common sense really, but to take a stand against MSM as 'the enemy' in favour of alternative sites and forums, you are likely to come across just as much hogwash.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Of course i do believe some of the stuff in the MSM.
Lohan is a crackhead.
Trump is a Dou***bag.
Simon Cowell will leave American Idol.
There are several examples of the mSM being true, why should we question any of the other stuff they say.
Now hush America's got talent is on.
Grab me a beer and some chips while you're up too.

(Edit)
reply to post by The Cusp

Don't be so critical we all need a laugh now and then when we're down!

[edit on 15-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Yes, I believe. When I see photos of the POTUS playing golf and listen to the reports that he is, again, playing a round of golf. I believe it.

Call me silly.

But I BELIEVE that!

Just like I believed the photos of GHWB smiling as he was sailing off the coast of Maine or some such northeastern state, while I was sucking in sand, eating flies that landed on my fork as I put food into my mouth, and was preparing to enter into the "Mother of All Battles".

Yes. I believe. I believe we are being shown truth. Not being shown or told why these "truths" are occuriing, but we are actually seeing all this done, flaunted right in front of our faces.

Just my .02 Ameros.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
There is always some truth in the MSM. They need to have some as bait.

For example, "there was a car accident today..."

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I do not watch the news or read the paper. If i did read the paper, it would only be the sports and you know how biased that is.

To get how biased the news is read the sports pages of the paper. Thats how much truth you get in the media. The sports pages are mostly made up rubbish, and that sums up the media. Any view you have to accept has an awful lot of bias in it. We accept that in sports, so why not in news. Of course the media is the same in the real news and in sports.

I do not watch the news as i do not watch tv, so cannot say how much i reckon is true.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I often like to see what the 'official truth' is. Sometimes you can learn a little by what their version doesn't say. I'm not Christian and I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but I think it was Jesus that said 'When you know what is truly before you, what is hidden will also be revealed'.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Those poor people who only read MSM, nothing to worry about except who strained their groin in a footy match or what a celebrity had for breakfast,not like here where every waking minute is spent worrying about the end of the world.Hmm maybe they are on to something!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
In my mind it's a front, a facade... Whole stories made up around one photo. 99% of the MSM news IS fabricated or embellished. I hope everyone on here is aware of the fact.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I was surprised the other day when I was reading an article in the paper talking about how the new global warming exhibit at the local museum was nothing more then fear mongering propaganda. It was actually a really good piece and was the first time in a long time that I've read something from a mainstream reporter that actually made sense. Too bad the article was buried on the last pages of the news right before the funnies and classifieds and it was the Saturday paper. I've linked the article below if anyone wants to read. In the end though, it's obvious that whenever they do put out the truth, they do so so subtly that noone ever notices.

Climate change exhibit is bad science

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Jason Paul]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I don't really believe everything that the Media reports..Things that seem Important, interesting never seem to make much news,Stay up todate with reporting it.Hear a little bit then it's back on to top stories like what our celebrity have been wearing and what they've had for lunch

What's that old saying
;Those that watch[read] the news are misinformed and those that don't are ill informed..So we can't win either way

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
One thing you learn from visiting ATS is you never believe what the mainstream tells you. You have to learn to see past what they want you to know, you can watch the news and within an hour you could visit ATS and get the real true story of events.

I actually use ATS as my mainstream media, where i can.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

yes, except you have to understand what they aren't saying.

theres always info to be discovered anywhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join