It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP now spraying a dispersant onto oil spewing from Gulf of Mexico well?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

BP now spraying a dispersant onto oil spewing from Gulf of Mexico well?

Live feeds from Skandi ROV1

From BP: "In preparation for commencement of the well integrity test, the middle ram has been closed and a leak has been detected in the choke line of the 3 ram stack. It has been isolated and will be repaired prior to starting the test."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Live feeds from Skandi ROV2

[edit on 14-7-2010 by DragonFire1024]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It would now appear, for the first time that I know of, BP is spraying a dispersant onto the oil as it spews from the well. Have they used a dispersant like this before?:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f23853948b7.jpg[/atsimg]

The spraying started immediately after oil stopped gushing from the central cap. The image below shows its not gushing from the center anymore, but from another 'pipe:'

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c06a64a05366.jpg[/atsimg]

(visit the link for the full news article)

Live feeds from Skandi ROV1

[edit on 14-7-2010 by DragonFire1024]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The dispersant was almost always visible from one of the Skandi ROV's. They started doing that when the cap prior to this latest one was put into place.

By no means am I saying this is a good thing.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by csimon]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I thought they always have sprayed dispersant into the plume, I remember seeing them doing it before on the live cams.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
They admitted they do this months ago.

Just saying. It's still good that you have learned of this now. Now spread the word to those you know so that they may grow in retaliation against this corporate whoring.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Before it was injected into the BOP and mixed inside. Now it is being done out side of it. Not sure why the change. Maybe the side pipe oil is venting from now does not have a means of injecting in to the BOP so they are mixing out side of it. That is all I can think of.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
They have been spraying dispersant all along - off and on that is. Its more toxic than the oil. I hate to see them doing it again but there you have it, they are doing it!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This isnt really breaking news in of itself. They have been using dispersant from the beginning.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
This isnt really breaking news in of itself. They have been using dispersant from the beginning.

That I know...but this is the first I have seen it used as its directly coming from the well. Usually it was dropped from planes or what not. I just found it interesting nonetheless. I would think this would be a worse way of doing it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I dont know. Use the dispersant at the source and it "coagulates" the oil right off the bat (and keeps it "together"), or spread the disperant over a wide area after the oil has already surfaced and interacted with a much larger volume of water and thus affects a greater area?

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

Originally posted by princeofpeace

That I know...but this is the first I have seen it used as its directly coming from the well. Usually it was dropped from planes or what not. I just found it interesting nonetheless. I would think this would be a worse way of doing it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I caught them doing this a month ago. They might've been doing it longer. But yeah, this is old news.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
They have been mixing dispersant into the oil as it leaks from the well at least from the top-hat if not before.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Ok..so lets think a minute. I thought they wanted to "save" as much oil as possible? Once a dispersant is sprayed into it, doesn't it become useless? Also doesn't it just float around the bottom or middle of the ocean? What I don't get is why are they doing this if their so-called new containment cap is supposed to be so great?

They did say that oil would NOT be spewing from the central pipe, I guess they were right in a way for once.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by DragonFire1024]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Umm no they werent trying to "save" oil they were trying to keep the oil that had spilt, "together" which requires a dispersant. Comprehende?

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Ok..so lets think a minute. I thought they wanted to "save" as much oil as possible? Once a dispersant is sprayed into it, doesn't it become useless? Also doesn't it just float around the bottom or middle of the ocean? What I don't get is why are they doing this if their so-called new containment cap is supposed to be so great?

They did say that oil would NOT be spewing from the central pipe, I guess they were right in a way for once.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by DragonFire1024]

new topics

top topics

join