It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids getting fitted for "fangs"?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

I'm not arguing the cutesy I think I'm cool because I like glittery vampires culture. I'm not even arguing the non-underground aspect. This going out to get fangs permanently implanted by your dentist? Hello. That is a MAJOR in to the underground. Or did you choose not to read that?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
i remember when vampires were evil and were killed by a stake through the heart not metrosexuals with womens haircuts.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by itbbeyond11

I agree, if parents paid more attention they would realize that this a culture amongst hundreds even thousands of people all over the US, though you think your kid wants the romantic, part of a fantasy movie, there are others that take this seriously.

Wanting to be a Sith lord, is one thing, but there aren't thousands of sith's using the dark side at parties. Maybe at Sci-fi conventions, but thats a couple of times a year, this is a lifestyle, people wake up with these fangs that cannot be removed, they go to work this way, and they recruit, gullible teens that are looking for some "real" action.

Peace to you..

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
People of any age getting vampire fangs attached to their real teeth.

LOL

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

Just because they are different than you are doesn't mean you should either make fun of or criticize them. I disagree with it as well. But it's almost like a religion, actually very similar for some people.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I disagree with it as well... for children. Yes its different, but its someone choice, amongst other adults to live and experience a life outside the norm. In many instances it is respectful, and they do live by a code. What I was bringing to the table is the other side of a culture that is sometimes misunderstood but for good reason, and by some, given it a bad rap. Just like any other group, who sometimes has bad apples, that everyone cannot account for. I just know the power that this lifestyle can bring, and the downfall of kids that think they know it all, and the parents who ignore it, and later to find out they should have looked into it more. Or made a more informed decision.

I mean when you look at "vampire" are you thinking roses, and glitter? Why would a parent condone it anyway, that means that parents are ok with their kids trying to be immortal, and drink the blood of others.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
well kids are stupid so wanting fangs doesnt suprise me. Its the idiot parents who would let them that worry me. Just another reason why I support the NWO depopulation agenda

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
If an adult is being fit for implanted fangs....well that'll limit their employment possibilities.

However, if a child is, then the dentist needs to be barred from practice and the child taken by social services.

This can seriously screw up your jaw construction. In a person with bones that are still moving and growing it will cause the upper part of the face to grow larger and push the jaw down and back. Not attractive. As in permanent dis-figuration.

It'll also cause the airway at the back of the mouth to narrow increasing that child's chances of having issues such as obstructive sleep apnea. Which is an underlying factor for sleep issues, heart attacks and other very unpleasant things.

The lack of sleep caused by the sleep apnea can drastically increase the chances of the child developing drug and alcohol problems. Orexins have been tied to both sleep and addiction issues. People use the substance to force themselves to sleep.

So...if you know of a child who is being fit with permanent fangs, please report them the children's services.

[edit on 2010/7/14 by Aeons]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
What are they planning to do with them? Bite people?

And what about when they get older? I bet they'll get rejected from a bunch of jobs because of it.

But there ha to be some reason why people would do this. It's probably because the kids want to be unique; stand out. They could also use them as sort of a "status symbol" to show off how rich they must be and how "cool" their parents are (although I call them unfit). Think of it as the Coach purse of the dental world.

What I find funny is that one of my canine teeth is naturally larger and up higher in my gums than it's supposed to be. My friends call it a "vampire tooth" and joke that I'm "half vampire". Now I'm actually paying to get rid of it with braces; quite the opposite from these kids.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by nicolee123nd]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this is nothing new, I knew a kid in high school (back in the 90's) who's mother was a dental surgeon or something (I don't know dentists as well, never needed to go to one, never had cavities) and fitted him fangs when he asked, this was before sparklies though during the 90's White Wolf/Anne Rice weepy goth vampire rage

I do have natural occuring fangs....on my lower jaw, with a slight underbite, the effect is more orc like, but really only that obvious when I smile

Usually in the past before I began working for myself, I'd just let them know on the phone when schedualling an interview that I did have a real dental problem and wasn't just a LoR fanboy (I never had anything done with them because it's never interfered with eating and as long as I enunciate rather than mumble as many do, never effected my speaking, why pay tons of money just to look like everyone else?)
it actually helped me get hired as a bouncer once since they said I looked scary in the dark.

and on another note, stupid as kids getting fangs in to look like mentally retarded versions of vampires that rape the concept.:
I'm all for people wanting to look unique, but couldn't see paying tons of cash just to do so, neither could I see paying tons just to look like the same drone as everyone else, I like my tusks and keep them, I've had grey hair since I was 15, 15 years later and I've never dyed it, I like it, and I also will never have any surgery to cover up my scars, and show my tattoos with pride. I work for myself, do pretty well actually, and couldn't give a rat's ass how some suited drone thinks I look, and wether my appearance somehow keeps me from doing a mindless task I probably wouldn't care about anyway, we should strive to get past mediocrity, not conform and embrace it

I'm not justifying kids getting fitted with fangs, just voicing my annoyance when half the comments on any topic concerning someone getting something done to have, or normally having an unusual apearrance, or involved in an unusual subculture are always focused with 'good luck getting a job'
while I'm not going to condone the twilight fans and will agree it's stupid,
I will say in general, greatness has never been acheived by following the herd

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Gren]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by itbbeyond11

I'm not arguing the cutesy I think I'm cool because I like glittery vampires culture. I'm not even arguing the non-underground aspect. This going out to get fangs permanently implanted by your dentist? Hello. That is a MAJOR in to the underground. Or did you choose not to read that?

I read, and understood it.
I still can't see where the problem is.
When I was 14 or 15, I had my dentist sharpen my canines into fine points.
So I can relate.
Aside from that, body modification, on any level, is a way for people wanting to be comfortable in their own skin.
And it's not "MAJOR into the underground" because A) you've heard about it and B) it's been going on for quite a few years.
It might've begun in the "underground" but has since permeated mainstream culture and falls into the body modification category.
And, again...I still can't see where the problem with fang implants are made readily apparent.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I don't think the parents that allow this activity have bothered to really think it through.

It has always been a challenge to be a good parent and in times gone by there was the extended family that made it a bit easier.

Many parents today are clueless. They think that as long as their children appear happy and are saying, "I love you", then they are doing a good job.

I raised three children and I can assure you that I heard more I hate yous while they were growing up then I love yous. They thank me now of course and it is always brought up as a topic of conversation at family get togethers, mainly as a demonstration to their own children that they have it much easier today then they did when their parents were growing up.

Parenting means that you provide not just hearth and home but you teach and discipline. Privileges were earned. Contributions to being a member of the household meant you had chores, and no, you got no allowance for contributing to your clean and healthily living environment.

I expected them to be responsible for their actions and they were rewarded for behavior and activities that displayed maturity, commonsense, intelligence and compassion.

They did not get everything they wanted since every week there was some new fad or fandangle that was a most have. If they had earned a reward they were sometimes allowed an item of popularity but they had to choose because those items were few and far between.

I think a lot of parents have forgotten the most valuable item in their bag of tricks for good parenting. The word “NO”.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
[edit on 17-7-2010 by Yaxkin]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have a pair of fangs I wear on a daily basis, not because im into vampires or anything so much as I have a deep connection with wolves and other canines.

Mine are about 3 inches long, porcelain inserts shaped to my teeth. They get refitted every now and then due to shift (they actually straighten my teeth!) and to be resharpened. I dont use mine to bite people or things aside from food and i've become rather accustomed to them.

Im not sure you should worry about this though, kids will be kids and phases usually phased out. Twilight and Underworld brought back the vamp/were thing, and we all know everyone wants to be the sexy/awesome anti-hero.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Out in the styx you can find the melding of racist rednecks with hip hop. It's funny as he'll to see a busted up pickup with a confederate flag rolling down the street blasting ja rule and loaded with hicks wearing the baggy shorts and flat brimmed off color sports hats.

So when will hip hop and the vampire thing merge? Grill fangs. Gold with jewels.

I think the Gravediggaz used gold fangs in some shots.

Fad, fashion and cultural trends in general complete wastes of effort. They are nice ways to get Rick off of suckers and jackasses though. Especially mindless kids. Even the 'antis' in their 'counterculture' nonsense are just mainstream marks to milk with consumption.

Well, maybe not the GG Allin types. There isn't much profit to be had when the whole scene is homeless mental patients. Unless you're a drug dealer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Do you know where I could find real information on this? The deformation of the mouth and jaw due to such implants, any studies of such or even professional statements that this could happen?

Just wondering at the info and willing to look into it.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I believe in the peoples right to raise their own children. I could care less about what other parents let their kids do. I'll allow mine to do what I think is right. It's not for me to decide if Joe and Mary are right or wrong for letting their kid wear fangs. Unless he bites my kid.

But seriously. There is a subculture of folks who think that they are nonexistent mythological creatures. Or simply get off on it. For most of these kids it's a fad. They aren't going to get wrapped up in the real vamp underground. Let em be. They'll realize how ridiculous it is eventually.

As far as body modification and work goes, a lot of young people get things done to their body and don't realize how it will affect them later on. I have tatoos, none are visible with a polo shirt on. I've had people come in and apply for jobs in my white collar medical office with tats on their hands, neck and face. 10 facial peircings. Fangs. And they can't understand why they don't get hired. Yes you went to college for for years and carried a 3.8 GPA, but you have 4 eyebrow rings, a hog ring in your knows and tatoos on your knuckles and you want me to let new patients see you. No thanks. Sorry about your luck. Enjoy the nightclub industry.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Oh this fang this is from way before the twilight movies, I will agree its more popular, but there are whole groups of hundreds of kids, and adults that follow this lifestyle, and I mean lifestyle.

I knew people in the "scene" 10 yrs ago, that still apply it to their lives today, and the kids that join get younger and younger. Forget for a min the fangs, their are parties where these kids attend and don't need permission, and it cost about $60.00 to get professional style fangs, at most tattoo parlors, and Halloween shops.

I'm from NYC, and their was a huge "vampire scene" called S.N.O.G ( Society Nocturnal of Gotham) and it was huge, when they had meeting sometimes it would take up 5-6 Manhattan blocks. And the parties were infamous for hanging people and drinking each others blood.

So I say, if you know a kid that wants to be a vampire, and you think its cute, think again there's a place they can go an live out this fantasy.. with adults, without parents consent, and believe me, at these parties, "NO RULES APPLY".

Peace to you...

The fact that this stuff is real is what scares me. I read a book the other day (Fiction, lol) called 'Violets are Blue' by James Patterson. To say the least, Vampires scare me...and not for the fact that they might be real. But the fact that real people think they are.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
^ Also, not saying vampires aren't real. I have no proof either way and don't really want it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Fitting "fangs" on a child under 15 permanently or to the point that it requires another expensive procedure to remove them, is idiocy. I would consider it an act of child negligence on the part of the parents.

It's not a piercing or some other body modification. It's a serious procedure that can cause serious problems, as stated above. Not only that, but it will make you look like a ridiculous moron, considering the child can't even be part of a sub-culture or "scene" at that age. They're just going to be kids with abnormally ridiculous teeth in normal public settings 100% of the time. They'll talk funny because of it, and maybe even develop speech problems later on, especially once the "fangs" are removed. Who knows what else.

If I were a parent, and one of my son/daughter's friends had "fangs" fitted into their skull, I would not let them go anywhere near that child's parents, ever.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join