It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids getting fitted for "fangs"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
All right, everyone knows about the whole Vampire crazy in the US. Honestly, I can't believe how dense some of these people really are on the subculture of Vampires or on the traditional creatures themselves. However, I do think it strange that kids are going so far as to go to their dentists and ask them to fit them with "fangs". Moreover, I can't believe parents are actually going along with it and PAYING for it. For people interested in actual vampires or the subculture, what is your opinion on this (not the whole Twilight thing since I know there are bound to be countless threads about it on here, but the kids with the fangs)? I'm really interested to know.

Oh, and as far as Twilight goes.....you destroyed the BA-ness of vampires. I mean, come on....sparkly?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Kids? Kids?

I had two great pairs made by a buddy who later went on to become a costume/make up for several b-movies and Babylon 5.

That was like....oh...18 years ago? Ah....those were the days.

You guys and your subculture terror need to catch up by at least a couple of decades.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Dude, I'm just saying. These are like....10 year olds. I can't believe that. 10.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Oh this fang this is from way before the twilight movies, I will agree its more popular, but there are whole groups of hundreds of kids, and adults that follow this lifestyle, and I mean lifestyle.

I knew people in the "scene" 10 yrs ago, that still apply it to their lives today, and the kids that join get younger and younger. Forget for a min the fangs, their are parties where these kids attend and don't need permission, and it cost about $60.00 to get professional style fangs, at most tattoo parlors, and Halloween shops.

I'm from NYC, and their was a huge "vampire scene" called S.N.O.G ( Society Nocturnal of Gotham) and it was huge, when they had meeting sometimes it would take up 5-6 Manhattan blocks. And the parties were infamous for hanging people and drinking each others blood.

So I say, if you know a kid that wants to be a vampire, and you think its cute, think again there's a place they can go an live out this fantasy.. with adults, without parents consent, and believe me, at these parties, "NO RULES APPLY".

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
THIS IS MY EXACT POINT! These kids know nothing about the actual underground culture and they think it's so "cool" when really they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. It's like when you date a college guy as a freshman girl in high school....except to a more extreme level...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I saw a little 13-14 year old once with some really nice fangs that looked pretty expensive. Odds are, mom paid for them. That was several years ago, during the Anne Rice vampire craze. It made her talk awfully funny though, and then she would have to slurp to keep her spit in her mouth. Hopefully she got the hang of them, because the slurping and the lisp really did detract from the mystique.

Everyone wants to be a souless, immortal, murderous, undead being apparently. I personally have never seen the draw there.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I just have abnormally large incisors and I used to have the same problem when I was younger. If I could, I'd rather just have my teeth be normal. And I can't file them down, since my teeth are so horribly constructed.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by itbbeyond11

Though my post was less about the fangs and more of the culture, I KNOW for a fact that these types of persona's that kids think is romantic, is actual very real in other peoples lives, there are vampires that live by a code, Id hate to see it if a kid goes to one of these parties thinking that there cute and sparkly and get a cup of real blood handed to them.

It may be imaginary for some, but the first time you see a guy hanging from a ceiling getting carved for blood, its not a disney scene anymore.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

And I bet they've never even heard of energy vampires. Or those that feed off emotion and auras. I just hope they either turn really hardcore in their beliefs before they walk into that kind of situation, or they grow out of the "phase" they are in before they are presented with it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The extreme end of the scale is ...disturbing.

And probably shouldn't be confused with something that is far more akin to putting on Spock Ears.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

That's for the most vulnerable ones. If a kid feels like they even need this type of lifestyle they are the most susceptible of all. Those are the ones who get caught up, and can never go back to living freely, you can be owned by another, and not know how it really happened.

That's not even including the initiations. People need to wake up, this is not a drill. So many parents want to have their kids be cool, well it aint gonna be cool, when your kid has bites on their neck, and don't want to come home.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

The parents were most likely similar when they were younger. Not necessarily in the same way, but in the vulnerability

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If one wants fangs - so be it. As for kids wantings fangs - parents have been spoiling their kids for a long time, giving them material items in hopes of keeping them happy and at home. A few years ago it was Nike's -then tattoos, today its fangs - something different tomorrow. Its partly the society we live in. Personally I like the vampire craze, if I was a kid I would want fangs too.

Be the first kid on your block to get fangs, lol. Think about it - its been going that way a long time.

My hero is Lestat!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Nike's don't really have the ability to put you into an underground society without your realizing it so I really don't see how on THAT level it is relatable...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well I personally would just love to understand why the draw to something so dark and damned.

I mean I do understand the power, and immortality aspect, but why not pick something more cheerful with those qualities? Some ancient god or goddess or something? Or some other imaginary creature with those qualities?

My heroes were nerds. Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Edison, you get the drift. I never really wanted to be something dark, and scary. I just really cant put myself in the frame of mind where that would be something to aspire to, but I am very interested in hearing someone rationalize it if anyone has felt that way.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

They aren't really drawn to the dark aspect. They are drawn to the romanticized vampire. The ones authors write about. No problem with that, but it sucks kids into it (no pun intended)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I agree about the fads, but Nike's and tattoos cant get you in the type of trouble, or at least the type of attention can get you with fangs. Sure if a kid goes to another kids birthday party and its a twilight theme, fine, oh and the fangs are brought from a gag store, but to actually get fitted for fangs, pay good money, and have your kids walking around with them in the street is completely different.

I haven't been to the scene in a long time, but I can bet there are a lot of vamps looking for the right person to come along. Its not so much about their mentality wearing it , its about the next person who see it. Its like looking like a thug, and being approached by others who think they know what you represent. Watch out for your kids.

As for adults knock yourself out, its not for everyone, but to each his own.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

And I bet they've never even heard of energy vampires. Or those that feed off emotion and auras...

OMG...You know my mother-in-law?!

[edit on 14-7-2010 by blamethegreys]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Okay...lame twilight aside...
Who cares?
There's a huge horror subculture.
Trust me on that one.
If I ever got around to having kids, and they wanted fangs, I'd be cool with it.
What's the big deal?
When I was 10 I wanted to be a Sith Lord.
So what?
Let the kids be kids.
If that's what they're into, awesome.
It's better than smoking meth and getting pregnant.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Every subculture - fringeculture has its extreme nasty end. In it you find swimming a morass of pervs and the mentally unstable. Some of them with charm.

This group's nasty end of the pool is nasty. They are to this fringeculture what the GOR crowd is to BDSM.

[edit on 2010/7/14 by Aeons]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join