It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI Cakemix toxins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I got this email today and thought I would share it.

This is confirmed on Snopes www.snopes.com...

A student at HBHS (high school) had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

P.S. Tell this to your children, grandchildren, nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps these types of mixes in the cupboard.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

I never knew that
Thanks for the Heads up! S&F

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I 2nd EWS's notion, thanks for the heads up!
Going to check my pantry now...

Peace

[edit on 14-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
doublepost - mybad

[edit on 14-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Care to elaborate as to why it turns deadly
Good info to explain

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I go through my pantry monthly and my fridge weekly. Things that are close to expiring get pulled up front. Things that have expired go in the trash. I never use anything without checking the date. Also smell whatever you open before you use it. My sister opened a container of chicken broth and noticed it had a strange smell. She poured it into a bowl and a large chunk of skin fell out.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

But.... these mixes are baking powder based and don't have yeast.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by sodakota

sodakota, I believe you are correct. Pancake miz does not have yeast in it. It uses baking powder to make it rise. Now, I have heard of a deadly mold called Ergot (maybe, can't remember, but I think it's close) that can grow on wheat and other grains and make you very, very sick. So for now, I'm calling this a chain e-mail hoax.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join