It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice: Sanctuary cities are no Arizona

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Justice: Sanctuary cities are no Arizona

www.washingtontimes.com

No plan to file lawsuits for refusing to cooperate with feds

The Obama administration said this week that there is no reason to sue so-called sanctuary cities for refusing to cooperate with federal authorities, whereas Arizona's new immigration law was singled out because it "actively interferes" with enforcement.

"There is a big difference between a state or locality saying they are not going to use their resources to enforce a federal law, as so-called sanctuary cities have done, and a stat
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
topics.dallasnews.com

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There we have it straight from the Obama administration's DOJ that they are selectively enforcing federal law as they see fit. Really no surprise though.

Sanctuary cities are able to get away with obstruction of justice at the very least, while AZ is trying to protect their citizens by passing a state law that mirrors the federal law and are being sued and abused by the very government that is supposed to be protecting them.

We can guess what would happen if any of us were to ignore certain laws as we would see fit. Regardless of where any of us stand on the AZ law, this is a bad legal standard.

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I find this interesting:

Officials in Arizona say they've been unfairly singled out by President Obama and Mr. Holder, who last week sued to overturn Arizona's law, arguing it could lead to a patchwork of state laws.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said cities that refuse to cooperate with federal authorities on illegal immigration --commonly called sanctuary cities -- are just as guilty of creating a patchwork, and violate the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

And Mr. Smith said the administration doesn't appear to understand that law, which requires localities to share information on illegal immigrants with federal authorities.

"The White House is just plain wrong on the premise since the Arizona law mirrors federal law - it does not 'interfere' with it," he said.

I believe Arizona is right, is backed by the U.S constitution and will win in court.

The idea that states may have a 'patchwork of laws' is also funny as hell. This will be thrown out of court and make Holden look like the idiot he is.

It is my understanding that a state can make what ever law it wants to.. and in fact we have tons of issues with different laws in other states.. that patchwork already exists.. and it is a states right to do so providing it does not overturn federal law.

In this case Arizona's law is equal to the federal law already in place, so Presidential opposition to this is just silly and shows how little Obama knows about his own country! This clown should not be president if he doesn't understand simple laws !

It does not interfere with federal law.. only Obama's agenda.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

The thing that amazes me the most about Liberals is that their agenda is so utterly unconstitutional that every time they try to defend it their arguments end up being utter illogical nonsense.

So now they are down to its alright to provide sanctuary to people in violation of Federal law, but not alright for a State to enforce Federal law.

WTF?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So now you have this administration on Record saying they will not pursue anything against sanctuary cities. Wow, what an utter embrassment of an administration.

These arrogant goons have no intention of enforcing laws against criminals and those who promote criminal behavior. This type of behavior by the Government is reckless and their policies only show how much Obumbus does not care for the American CITIZEN and Legal Resident. Those who came here through procedures set for immigration.

This administration is already losing votes here in PA from thousands of LEGAL immigrants. Keep building your own coffin, we'll put you 6 feet under soon.

Arizona has the entire nations support behind it, the Potus and his administraion only has sub 40% and sinking fast support behind themselves.

Arizona is not hindering Fed's enforcement but actually is helping them, just as their law states. The end responsibility falls on ICE to process the ILLEGAL for deportation. How is that hindering enforcement of the Federal Laws?

Break the Hype and Chains coming this November. Get involved everyone and make it known how about these policies. The power of 10 is with us, everyone person we talk to will talk to 10 other people and so on and so on.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Every so often I almost have to pinch myself to be sure I'm awake and not dreaming about this. I think AZ was very careful while they were drafting this law, since they knew it would have to withstand legal challenges. I'm not so sure they were quite expecting Washington to come after them, but I think they are on solid ground.

The feds are always shirking their responsibility over something, but what I still cannot understand is that we are a nation of laws, and I would think that the laws on the books would be enforced, and that does not mean selectively enforced. Then I must remember there are those who have their political agenda, which will likely backfire on them as it normally does.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

isn't Arizona 3 for 3 currently as far as fed lawsuits go lets just hope its gonna be 4 for 4 and then we will just have to see what other nonsense the obama administration will cook up sure Arizona has a plan feds keep pushing eventually something somewhere is gonna break

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

I forget what the AZ count is right now.
But I'm sure that when the feds lose this one, they will have something else in mind you're right about that.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
As much as I hate to say this, I believe there is a difference here.

Failing to cooperate with the Feds is a different issue than states who pass legislation related to areas already deemed by the Supreme Court to be the sole mandate of the government. Immigration and foreign relations regrettably fall into that category.

I live in Arizona, you have no idea how much I hate to admit that the Feds may have got it right for once.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This don't suprise me one bit.

Lets ask ourselves what would happen if AZ lost its case. Basicaly any state that enforces any federal law would have to stop doing so.

Can you say end to the drug war?

After all the first drug laws were passed by the feds if i am not mistaken and the reason was they could not tax them.

So either way its a win in my book.

AZ wins feds Piss off
Feds win no state will enforce the feds laws.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Do these asshats think we're stupid? Do they not realize that the majority of us see exactly what they are doing? Do they honestly feel that there will be no repercussions or consequences?

Obama and Holder's behavior is reprehensible and they WILL pay dearly for it - in any number of different ways. Americans are fed up and I suspect that they will not be taking too much more s#*t from this administration!

I simply recall the quote that Obama's stuffed shirt offered at a recent presser about Arizona's law "Interfering with [their] agenda". I think someone needs to point out to them that have only 1 agenda - to protect, defend and uphold the Constitution of The United States of America and to obey and enforce its laws!!! Anything outside of that is either treason or sedition. Either way, the punishment for their crimes will be harsh!

[edit on 14-7-2010 by kozmo]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I think you're right that there could be many federal laws that States, Counties and Cities would stop enforcing should AZ lose, but I'm not so sure many jurisdictions would stop enforcing the drug laws. Seizures have become a big source of revenue in many areas, and I'm not sure they could give that up so easily.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Considering how arrogant they are, I would have to say the short answer would be yes they do think we're that stupid. But what they think and the reality of life is that we do know what they are up to, and even though there are still a lot of people who have not woke up, there are many, many people who have.

This should be an interesting election we have coming up in November. I think they will see change, and it will not be the change they had in mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

Wayne, I suspect that we are going to to see "Change" sooner than later and that said "Change" will not be so desireable to the politicians. People are downright FED UP!!!
I think more people are awake than most realize. I have spoken recently with people I believed would never wake up and guess what? Even they see what is going on and they aren't happy either - many of them even voted for der asshat!

This country is literally on the brink!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I see this story finally made it to Fox News.
I haven't seen it on CNN or Reuters yet. But I'm sure it will make it eventually.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
As much as I hate to say this, I believe there is a difference here.

Failing to cooperate with the Feds is a different issue than states who pass legislation related to areas already deemed by the Supreme Court to be the sole mandate of the government. Immigration and foreign relations regrettably fall into that category.

I live in Arizona, you have no idea how much I hate to admit that the Feds may have got it right for once.

Can you post a source to the Supreme Court ruling that says the Federal Government ONLY has the right to police the borders of the United States..

Or one that says Only the Federal Government can ask for proper valid identification of suspects who have entered the country illegally?

If such rulings exist I guess I missed them.

Isn't this why the Arizona Governor says the law is legal.. because according to the 10th amendment that law is not delegated Only to the federal Government and therefore is within the states legal right to make a law of their own based in it?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'd like to know how Arizona's law actively interferes with enforcement. It's the sanctuary cities that are actively interfering with enforcement of federal immigration laws. The Feds themselves are the ones most guilty of interfering with their own laws. Like when they go after the companies that hire illegals (which they should) but fail to fine, imprison and deport the illegals that are working there.

The federal government as well as local government have all gotten drunk on power, power that rightly belongs to us. It is our fault that they wield this misused power over us, for it is us that allowed them to steal it from us.

It's time that we took back the power of the people. Go out in November and vote every single one of them out of office. Replace them with new blood and if the new blood refuses to represent us then vote them out too.

Take back the power and place it in the hands of the people again, where it rightly belongs !

new topics

top topics

join