It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Census forms changing due to privacy laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
www.vancouversun.com...

"Statistics Canada has quietly made major changes to the country's census in time for the upcoming round of national sampling in 2011. The long census questionnaire that provided information on a broad range on such topics as ethnicity, education, employment, income, housing and disability has been eliminated. Instead, those questions will be asked on a new, voluntary National Household Survey (NHS) and the results will never be released, in contrast with the treasure trove of census data that currently becomes public after 92 years."

"This change was made to reasonably limit what many Canadians felt was an intrusion of their personal privacy," said Erik Waddell, a spokesman for Industry Minister Tony Clement (Statistics Canada falls under the purview of Industry Canada).

The decision to change the census came from the federal government and not from the ministry or Statistics Canada, he said."

www.metronews.ca...

www.citytv.com...

Our new census forms will be shorter. These will still be mandatory, although the mandatory long census form is being replaced with a voluntary survey next year.

With Canada being a melting pot of cultures, some are worried about some groups not being properly represented in their communities.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
One thing I like about Canadians- they will play along with the government up to a certain point, then they all go black market when the government crosses the line...hopefully we never lose that ability to say enough is enough...though if the government knows enough to divide us then that will not be to the peoples' advantage.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I'm actually very happy with this development.

I hated those long form census things and always gave the workers hell when they were around.

Thank you Canadian Government for understanding that it's NONE of your business what we do with our lives, all you need to know is how many people live here.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's so strange that when they do something in our favor like this, they do it privately, then announce it

It's like Harper doesn't want people to know when he's doing something good. With the long form being voluntary, I think they will still get all the information they need. People seem to like doing surveys if they don't HAVE to

Apparently their analytical department wants less work...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yes, I too, am glad the forms will change. Its one thing to say its for research but another to use it against you. I prefer not to spill all my personal info.

Will we be fined if its not completed? I think mine got lost in the mail or something.

Already TPTB take too much control. It already takes quite a few letters just to action a change in the government policies and even after many letters will there be the changes people want.
An example is the long gun registration. What a waste of tax payer money.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

Short form still has to be done, but not the long one at all.

Yeah that long gun registry is ridiculous. To use the excuse that cops need to know is just silly. They should treat anywhere they have to go as if there might be weapons. Especially since they are armed to the teeth these days anyhow.
Farmers need guns just to be safe from the wildlife in some areas, I have wolves, coyotes, and mountain lions where I am, and beavers that damn up everything too. Roast beaver anyone?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

You've got us pegged pretty good. We're nice and polite to a point...then look out.

Lately with the G20 police state, eco taxes, HST, lies and more lies. I have to wonder if they're doing experiments in just how far they can push us.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Good points Gamma, I'm born n raised though 1 side of the family are from the deep south.
Those PTB are city fellers. My feeling is they aren't fully Canadian till they step off the sidewallk and take a walk in the wild side...off road.

As to the long gun registry and the cops...I read an article quoting cops on that subject the other day..they said the only reason it gets queries at all is because it is automatic. The experienced officers ignore it because they KNOW the criminals don't reg there fire arms, so they show up to every call with an open mind.

If we don't re register every three years though they will show up to confiscate your fire arms I've read.

Hi SS
In regards to Canadians filling out the long form volentarily...We keep hoping if our government will be polite so will we...Ask me don't make me.

PS don't let the dog eat roast beaver...I'm not kidding!
Unless you are sending the rover over to stay at the mother in laws for the weekend...that gives them the nastiest gas ever...

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Good tip about the roast beaver
I don't think I'll feed any to the hubby either....Thank you. Last year the trapper just made mittens. I went easy testing the dogs on elk, anything wild is iffy if they aren't used to it. Right now they're eating all my mosquito control, those poor frogs

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I wonder if they'll stop asking what I am. I'm Canadian. I don't have a specific cultural background or heritage. That question annoys me. There isn't enough room to write: Irish-Scottish-Welsh-English-French-German-Swede-Belgian-Native-and-Miscellaneous Other.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Yeah thats the thing.
Most Canadians have tried melting Pot.
Last time I was at the legion that was roughly the ethnic mix at the table.
We were all admiring the great Canadian jugs on the waitress's...
tray of Canadian draft

new topics

top topics

join