It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will human life be wiped out by a BP-induced methane eruption? No.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Will human life be wiped out by a BP-induced methane eruption? No.

yahoo news

If you've spent any considerable length of time on the Internet lately — and not just its dark conspiratorial alleys — you may have run across a number of geological reports that read like the plot of a Jerry Bruckheimer movie: BP may have haphazardly tapped into a violent reservoir of methane gas deep below Earth's surface, possibly setting off a chain of events that could lead to release of a "methane mega-bubble" capable of triggering floods of biblical proportions and emitting poisons into the atmosphere, effectively wiping humans off the face of the Earth.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-7-2010 by liveandletlive]

mod edit, fix link, maybe

[edit on Wed Jul 14 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Just starting to read the article and though some of the people here on ATS would like to read the story. I was wondering if there was any truth to the methane exploding theory I have heard about on different sites. Steve quayle is telling people to move away and flee the gulf region. What does everyone think?

news.yahoo.com...

maybe that fixed it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
more from the story:

[removed material from news article:

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others ]

[edit on Wed Jul 14 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Nope ,it won't, at least not in my experience. There is a tiny chance of a big, smelly kablooi though.
There has to be a fairly precise relation of methaneoxygen to make it flammable at all.

Where I come from, we had methane collecting bags over dung-basins. These caught methane to use for cooking and heating. You had to mix it with air quite precisely via nozzles to use it in the kitchen or heaters.

There was a rupture some time ago, and there was a high-voltage switching box for an electric fence pretty close-by....those "boxes"(look more like green toadstools though) are constantly arcing.-->arc + gas = boom you'd think..

Well, end of story: nothing happened besides the whole neighbourhood smelling of Pig Sh.t BAD...

On the other hand.. We had a dung-cellar below our farm, and me and a friend once, on a hot day affixed black agri-plastic over a man-hole ,to see what happened and Eureka! it started bulging. so, we pricked a tiny hole in the plastic and held a match close...tiny flame..sizzle..nothing.

Then we enlarged the hole...still no go with a match held close. Buuuut..my friend burned his fingers on the match, and dropped it...Loud "FLOOOM!"

Even louder cursing from the toilet (that was ,illegally, connected to said, dung cellar, because the official municipal sewers always clogged up..yuck)

Apparently our little experiment had caused a "flood" of dung&feces to back-up towards the toilet bowl where my friends' brother juuuust happened to take a dump...

Never in my whole life have I laughed harder..I almost ruptured my spleen.

Moral of the story: IMHO The mixture air/methane is as much a hit&miss as you can get. It is hard to predict if a giant bubble will go "KA-FLOOM" or just smell up the beaches even worse than they already do tnx to BP.

I guess that even a bit of sea-wind will disperse it too quick to form the "ideal mixture"

Methane as a gas is more dangerous. If the surface of the sea is too cold, it will form a "blanket" that would roll inland. Now THAT could be a true problem. I remember some African village that got suffocated completely by a volcanic gas-eruption from a lake, every Man Woman and child dead.

Then again ,I have yet to see any evidence of a sufficiently big enough quantity of methane under, or close to the botched well to make it a believable scenario for "mass-extinction . but I am neither a geologist or a "world-ender"

[edit on 7/14/2010 by diakrite]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by diakrite

Methane as a gas is more dangerous. If the surface of the sea is too cold, it will form a "blanket" that would roll inland. Now THAT could be a true problem. I remember some African village that got suffocated completely by a volcanic gas-eruption from a lake, every Man Woman and child dead.

I read that story. I think it was on tv as well. Dont they have the leak contained now? What will everyone do if they stop the leak? What will everyone talk about? OMG........

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

If you are truly interested in the science and are willing to slog through a lot of reports and then think hard about what the data implies, says, and SHOUTS (seperate things), then read through these threads:

Gulf spill: is the methane a bigger problem than the oil?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why evacuations in the Gulf WILL be necessary, and soon: poison gas clouds

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You'll find answers there.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Sorry they don't have the leak contained, its never been contained and never will be. They can't 'stop' it. they can only collect it.

realitycheck.no-ip.info...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Currently, according to The NYT, they are dragging their feet a bit with the final capping of the well.

They seem to be afraid that ,after capping, the pressure would rise too much, and cause blow-outs in other places...

Nice little quagmire we got here hrm??

All in all, if the Green parties in the world need more proof that deep-water-drilling is, maybe, not as smart as formerly believed, they got a prime example at their finger-tips.

A methane kablooi would not eradicate humanity though. It would make quite a nice fireworks display, no more. Louisiana would feel the explosion, i gather. What's of more interest, is, what will the water do after the supposed methane bubble has left it's cavity. Will the expanding gas make the sealevel rise for a bit ,and then retreat seriously when seawater rushes in the empty cave, the methane has left.. Or is the methane held in micro-cavities . However, micro-cavities exclude "giant methane bubbles"
[scratching chin] Hmm..shame I know so precious little about geology.

But, again ,I am too much of an optimist to believe those "end-time" scenarios many people have been dishing out...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
so eat drink

and

be merry

for tomorrow you shall die

answers.com/topic/eat-drink-and-be-merry-for-tomorrow-we-die

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by meremortal
so eat drink

and

be merry

for tomorrow you shall die

answers.com/topic/eat-drink-and-be-merry-for-tomorrow-we-die

how true
how true

"The dying bit is the only certainty the creator has bestowed upon us"

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Wow! Thats alot of information. It took me a while just to skim. I noticed your source was the same mentioned in the article. It seems they all go back to him. A lot of info none the less.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Sorry they don't have the leak contained, its never been contained and never will be. They can't 'stop' it. they can only collect it.

realitycheck.no-ip.info...

Are you sure? "Critical Well Test Under Way" CNN : main flow stops as test begins!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You may or may not have read my short 3 part [bbot] story but this is going to be a mind blowing fact so sit down take a deep breath and so let us being the the trip down the rabbit hole, let me start with some facts then you decide.

Fact bp is not controlling the leak.

Fact the gov has put off efforts to do so as of 14 7 2010 or the way i do the dates 7 14 2010.

Fact FEMA needs money, if an other CAT 5 storm hit, or the "BIG ONE" in Ca. hit,( that is California,) 7+ then that would be it for FEMA.

Fact Hydrogen Sulfide gas h2s, is, at 500ppm, Fatal!

Now for the "trip" down the hole.

What better way than getting people to move from an area prone to hurricanes?let the area be contaminated. they think this can be cleaned up? how long will it take? how many miles of sand will have to be removed? let alone the see floor. this is just the solid oil not the gas fumes.

Now for the jaw dropper.

H2S is at 500 ppm fatal! this is from MSDS RS 296 crude oil safety sheet look it up see for your self, now h2s is a natural occurring gas found in, oil drilling, volcanoes, and in natural gas drilling, it is heaver than air, now what if this gas is trapped below the surface, remember that big oil bubble? what would it take to be released and how many deaths would it cause? were would this cloud go? any place the wind was blowing, were does the gulf breeze blow? and is there a "gas bubble".
"
"SURFS UP"
Could a giant "Tidal wave" be caused by the "gulf" shelf sinking? could the amount of oil being released cause the land mass of the gulf,too sink blow sea level, what was the cause of the resent sink holes? and how far away? you see i do not have all the answers., and some, you will have to find by your self. why would they stop work when they did? With no cap, no relief well, and why the 65 ft news ban? a lot of questions, with no second reliable input, it is all one sided. and finely,

Houston we have a problem
What if they did put the cap on and then they discovered "leaks in the sea, what could be done then? now i have heard of reports that they do have some , how big and how far out i do not know, i think this is an other matter we, at/on "ATS" need to look in to.

For one voice can do nothing, but many can move mountains.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by bekod]

[edit on 14-7-2010 by bekod]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Or...... your wrong......... and they will cap the well, the media will move on to another story and ATS will move on to another subject...

I predict this thread will go nowhere because caping the well and solving the problem is boring. No doom and gloom then no story. See ya on the next one!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the "methane issue" was not so much an explosion, as it was a tsunami. That much volume of gas will undoubtedly displace a significant amount of water. It may not wipe out humanity, but it will certainly wipe out a good portion of the gulf states.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandletlive
reply to post by bekod

Or...... your wrong......... and they will cap the well, the media will move on to another story and ATS will move on to another subject...

I predict this thread will go nowhere because caping the well and solving the problem is boring. No doom and gloom then no story. See ya on the next one!

Which still doesn't solve that the well is not the only thing leaking due to this well's issues.

Take a real problem, then add a layer of insane on it, prove the insane wrong, then act like that also addresses the real original issue.

Like going to a fight that you can't win, so you bring twenty strawmen with you for you to "punch out" to prove yourself to the crowd with.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Stopping the leak is only 1/2 of the equation. Remember all that oil is still going to need to be cleaned up.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandletlive
Just starting to read the article and though some of the people here on ATS would like to read the story. I was wondering if there was any truth to the methane exploding theory I have heard about on different sites. Steve quayle is telling people to move away and flee the gulf region. What does everyone think?

news.yahoo.com...

maybe that fixed it.

Our economy and freedoms might though

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The article is propaganda. It's trying to ridicule the theory without real arguments:

Another prominent scientist we contacted thought that the reports were such hogwash that he declined to even offer a comment to refute them.

Then say who he is.

So what's the root of all these apocalyptic scenarios that some news sources have given credence to? Well, most of them seem to trace back to a single scientist

A single scientist ? Very unlikely.

In other words, we could all die from a massive earth fart.

Trying to make fun of the theory.

Then the explaination we were waiting for, reading the article :

There has been an influx of methane into the Gulf since the explosion of the oil rig, but no data suggest that it is the precursor to such a cataclysm.

Care to elaborate ? So this article contains no information at all. It attack the methane explosion theory instead of explaining why it can't happen today.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by ickylevel]

top topics

join