It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austronauts: Are they changed after space travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I remembered this interesting article I read about a few months ago, it talks about that some austronauts were experiencing a so-called "overview effect" when being in space. Meaning a spiritual oneness with the universe, and it is quite interesting I would say. The link for the whole article is provided below, and I assure you it is worth the read, but first a quote that might catch your interest.

In February, 1971, Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell experienced the little understood phenomenon sometimes called the “Overview Effect”. He describes being completely engulfed by a profound sense of universal connectedness. Without warning, he says, a feeing of bliss, timelessness, and connectedness began to overwhelm him. He describes becoming instantly and profoundly aware that each of his constituent atoms were connected to the fragile planet he saw in the window and to every other atom in the Universe. He described experiencing an intense awareness that Earth, with its humans, other animal species, and systems were all one synergistic whole. He says the feeling that rushed over him was a sense of interconnected euphoria. He was not the first—nor the last—to experience this strange “cosmic connection”.

"Space Zen" -Will Humans' Brains Change During Space Travel? -A Galaxy Classic

I was wondering if any of you have heard of anything similar, and if it has been examined any further?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Discussed in the recent above thread, that was the first time I had heard of it. That would be an amazing experience, so I could certainly imagine why they would get that. I would love to have that experience!

Edit to add: S&F for you.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Thank you very much.

But this article encompasses more than the thread you mention. There has reportedly been made studies on this subject in regard to how the brain changes etc.. And that is truly fascinating. I would like this thread to take everything the article mentions into account. It's highly recommended to read through it

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well these ones were certainly changed!

The Fantastic Four is formed when during an outer space test flight in an experimental rocket ship, the four protagonists are bombarded by a storm of cosmic rays. Upon crash landing back on Earth, the four astronauts find themselves transformed with bizarre new abilities.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow, it's really interesting how you relate science fiction to this topic. It really haven't got anything to do with it whatsoever at this point. Thanks for nothing I guess, it's not a contribution to this thread at all.

Before you start to ridicule this thread, I would like to have an objective look at what the article says and what it might bring to the table so to speak. If it turns out to be bogus, no problem. I've never said I subscribed to anything of it, but if it turns out to yield some interesting results that's even better.

Please reply with something constructive, instead of dismissing the subject at once by replying with something that removes all credibility without giving it a chance. If you think it's BS, tell us why and try to prove it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My apologies. My intent was not to belittle or dismiss your thread or the topic. It was an attempt at humor (thus the winky smiley). I guess it was a failed attempt.

Many experience in life can result in changes to one's outlook. The first time my feet left the ground in a hang glider (37 years ago) my life changed. I'm sure the experience of space travel would be no less profound.

Another note. Though I don't consider the Fantastic Four to be science fiction, that genre of literature has also had an influence on my view of the world.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Sounds like "Space Euphoira"

Im really interested by this, it sounds like more than just the amazment you'd get from being in space, it sound like what you get from deep meditation.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

That is absolutely amazing! I have never been in space, but I know that feeling he is describing. I had a dream about 2 months ago. I was on a space ship and I saw earth out of the window. IT was BEAUTIFUL!! I just stood there in amazement in complete, awe, it took my breath away how big and peaceful earth looked floating in the middle of the universe but then I started to stare into space away from earth and I realized just how small Earth was at the same time. It was truely a profound dream, I woke up in awe... I dont know how else to discribe it...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am not at all surprised. I can only imagine what a profound impact that experience would have on someone. We are stuck here on earth with only pictures and videos of what is out there. Can you imagine actually being off the planet? Imagine looking out at the vast universe in all its' beauty and mystery and seeing that we are but a minute part of it all. So much more than we could ever imagine probably exists out there. Imagine floating out in space surrounded by stars, knowing there are galaxies undiscovered and wondering what they hold.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I certainly see the humour, but it might been a bit too early with replies like that one for my taste. But if I knew better of how you relate to subjects I would probably be laughing the minute I saw it.

reply to post by StarrGazer25

This sounds interesting. I wonder if having dreams like that are comparable to the real thing? And maybe the same changes, if any, within astronauts happens to people that dream of such profound experiences.

Though, it probably is unlikely, considering you usually forget most of your dreams a few minutes after you wake up.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I could see why they'd feel that way..
It must be like a sense of coming home..Think that's why man, since the dawn of time have looked to the stars,we've always knew we're a part of it as it is of us..
Can see why it may be like meditation..When ever i hear the sound of planets,Universe it reminds me so much of relaxation music..Sun-Flares were my favorite sounds...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Firstly, FYI, Phage is considered by many as a highly knowledgeable member with a knack for bringing posters down to Earth with cold, hard fact (O.K., laws, repeatedly tested theories etc as there is no fact in science). Some take this person's responses as arrogant at times but that is simply a matter of opinion.

I swear I could hear a distinct "beep beep beep" of someone backing the truck up in that member's second post. The first was quite out of character (well as far as science goes) and you were completely justified with your response. For once the shoe was on the other foot.

O.K., as far as the topic goes, in Astrology, star signs are brought about (apparently) by the position of the Earth in the galaxy and apparently the Earth is exposed to differing levels of cosmic radiation at different times of the year and, at birth, this radiation influences a person's brain. Very subtly but enough to set some broad personality traits. The womb is apparently like a Faraday Cage shielding the foetus from cosmic radiation until the moment of birth. Perhaps this cosmic radiation could influence an adult once out of the shielding of the Earth's magnetosphere.

Probably not. It's probably phychological as other posters have pointed out but I thought I'd throw that one in.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Austronauts: Are they changed after space travel?

Ask these guys:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6450d4d513eb.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

I get it.
It's a joke, right?
Austronauts.

[edit on 7/17/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah, I'm waiting for the outraged, sarcastic rant in 3, 2, 1...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Thanks for that I had assumed we were talking about those from Vienna.

This happens so frequently on here but I never cease to be amazed by it. Not only in the title but in the OPwhere the correct spelling is shown in a quote. stunning, simply stunning. Maybe I'm being xenophobic but when it happens I always suspect one particular nationality is responsible.

On topic, you can't help but be changed mentally and also physically in direct correlation with the length of time in space. what always blew my mind was that if you had been in a craft orbiting the moon you'd be able to hide the Earth, the only life bearing place known to exist anywhere in the universe, with your thumb. You could literally block out all of human history, endeavour and civilisation with one thumb! Years later i discovered that this was something that most australianuts also noted and were struck by. From such a distance we are but one biosphere, one organism, so tiny and fragile.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish

Thanks for that I had assumed we were talking about those from Vienna.

Touché!

Yes, back to the topic: A really terrific film about this subject is In the Shadow of the Moon. There's no narration - just 10 of the astronauts who flew to the Moon talking about their experiences and what it meant to them. It is both enlightening and moving. If you get the DVD, be sure to check-out the extras, because there is another hour (or more) of material.

Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

join