It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing starts gating, locking migrant villages

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
China's human rights record just keeps getting better. Not!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

They're not doing this to provide security for the people behind the gates. They're taking advantage of the fact that the poorer people and migrants congregate in a certain area and are locking them in to control their movements. Much like that Warsaw Ghetto during WWII.

And here again we have the two faces of China. The one they show the world and the one they don't, which is still horrific.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
In the article, an Chinese-American professor compares what's going on in China with illegal immigrants in the USA:

"In some ways, this is like the conflict between Americans and illegal immigrants in the States. The local residents feel threatened by the influx of migrants," Huang Youqin, an associate professor of geography at the University at Albany in New York who has studied gating and political control in China, said in an e-mail. "The risk is that the government can control people's private life if it wants to."

This is exactly the kind of tyranny Alex Jones is constantly trying to warn us about. I just hope the NWO doesn't get any ideas from the Chinese.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
One funny thing (to me, at least) is that when China exerts Orwellian levels of control, they can just sort of declare: "So what? We're China, we're communist. Deal with it. We never said we were all about freedom or anything." Sure, they are increasingly"communist in name only" in most respects these days, but when they want to they can dust off the old red star n' flag of total control.

When a Western country want to crack down on its citizens in any given way, on the other hand, it has to perform this elaborate song and dance about how it is really preserving freedom, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, blah blah blah. The contortions of logic keep getting more and more elaborate -- it's like the mating dance of some rare bird or something.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by mordant1

China is not a communist country, they do have a totalitarian system though. I think much of the negatives we hear about China are exaggerated in all honesty, but this story should concern people, stability/control is absolutely vital in the Chinese governments view. If these actions achieve that they will do so happily...i'd like to hear the opinion of some chinese folks about this story and if they support these actions.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Solomons]

You have a nerve dismissing the deaths of many many millions, intentionally killed off for being inconvenient to the red guards and mao and successors. Tien a men square was not that long ago, how exagerated was that in your mind.
Furthermore your assertion that the govt isnt communist ignores the fact that the leaders call themselves such, and the degree of totalitarianism is charactoristic for any country calling itself democratic but in fact communist. THere are no communist countries trying to keep others out from capitalist neighborss, NK being so oppressive that even ezcape to a communist lite system is an improvment.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by itbbeyond11
This sounds a bit Hitler-esque, does it not? Even for those who DON'T believe in the Holocaust, surely you've heard this part of the story. And the US did this as well, during WW2, with the Japanese Internment Camps. So yes, it is an "older" form of control, but not so old that no one remembers it and it is also not a new concept in the government policies of the greater world powers

Remember that Communist (these days it's Fascist) China is the beta-test model for the one world order.

Why does China get so many approval ratings from the globalist elite? It's only the globalist elite that can sanction this tyrannical regime.

The path to global tyranny inches closer and closer day by day, law by law.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
THis is NWO, and reminiscent of the NAZIs, denying basic human rights to the poor. I would rather the sun supernova'd than any form of nwo occurred and if it happens here, I will become a criminal by their standards, a hero by mine, to defy them.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I don't care what they like to call themselves, if you don't adhere to the communist ideology you are not a communist....why is that so hard to understand and why am i dismissing the death of millions of people in my earlier post exactly?

Oh and communism does not equal totalitarianism...I don't know where you got that from.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Noone is being locked up. The vast majority of people in all major cities in China live in gated compounds with security guards. It is good...more than good, as you know when you are out or at work some random is not going to come in, kick your door down, and relieve you of your posessions.

Most criminal activity is obviously coming from the poorer migrants who resort to such behaviour, so for some of the worst areas, which have a higher crime rate, the guards are simply checking the coming and going of some people very late at night. People are still free to come and go, but just from their main gate late at night, rather from the unmanned side-gates.

Makes sense to me if they know of particular high-crime rate areas.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

I'm not saying I agree or disagree but you seem to be contradicting yourself a little bit when you say that people aren't being locked up at the beginning and then say they are later on....especially with the whole "gates" thing. If there are gates, don't there have to be walls and bars or some type of force to keep you from leaving in other places? Or else what would be the point of gates? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If so, please can you try and explain it to me a little more?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by itbbeyond11
reply to post by cloudbreak

I'm not saying I agree or disagree but you seem to be contradicting yourself a little bit when you say that people aren't being locked up at the beginning and then say they are later on....especially with the whole "gates" thing. If there are gates, don't there have to be walls and bars or some type of force to keep you from leaving in other places? Or else what would be the point of gates? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If so, please can you try and explain it to me a little more?

Sorry I think you have misunderstood then, and no, I am not contradicting myself.

As I said, nearly everyone in the major cities live in compounds, with gates. Noone, as per the OP article, is being 'locked up'. Noone.

The main gate of the compounds in the article in question is always open. People are free to come and go. The only thing is, at some of the very poor compounds, where crime rates have soared, they are checking IDs very late at night. But locking in? No. This is not being done. Nor will it be done.

This, I gather, is being done to make people think twice about going out and committing a crime as there 'may' be a record of say Joe Wong if were to leave his high-crime rate compound at 3am in the morning.

If this move by authorities in Beijing, while it might seem to be 'oppressive' to the uninformed (but in reality, who gives a fat f**k if some lowly paid security guard takes note that you are leaving the compound at 4am...you might be concerned if you are going out to rob or rape, but...the reality is it means jack for the normal citizen)...so if this move by authorities saves one life, stops one rape, saves a handful of robberies....good.

note on the gates: All major cities are littered with compounds, and they are gated. Anyone, absolutely anyone, is free to enter or leave any compound. The gates are half show, half security conscious. All the compounds, even the very poor ones, are manned by non-official security guards. It creates a lot of employment, and is a benefit welcomed by citizens as the guards are kind of watchdogs for any suspicious activity or robberies, or vehicles backing up to a residence to relieve owner of goods.

So, you are probably stuck on the term 'gates'. Noone is ever locked in, or out. But say late at night, some of the compounds may close the gates to slow down traffic, but keep a gate within the gate open for pedestrians. If you wanted to drive into a compound at 4am...then toot your horn as offensively as you can and they will open the gate for you.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by RRokkyy

They're not doing this to provide security for the people behind the gates. They're taking advantage of the fact that the poorer people and migrants congregate in a certain area and are locking them in to control their movements. Much like that Warsaw Ghetto during WWII.

And here again we have the two faces of China. The one they show the world and the one they don't, which is still horrific.

[edit on 7/14/2010 by ~Lucidity]

I don't like to harp on too much about one single issue, but it is often the China threads which get taken out of context, people start making outlandish assumptions, and make far-fetched 'human rights' claims without even thinking or actually reading the article.

There is one reason, and one reason only, they are doing this. To help prevent crime. It is in the interests of those within, and outside, the compounds in question.

There is ZERO locking in, or locking out. The main gates are always open, people are free to come and go. 24/hours, 7 days a week, anyone from within any of the compunds in question can come and go as they please.

Has there ever been roadblocks by police in ghettos in the US or elsewhere checking for DUI drivers? Or police patrolling neighbourhoods, pulling over suspicious cars or drivers? Do they ask for ID? No need to answer.

The point is, some of the very high crime rate areas, they are checking IDs at night. It is in response to growing crime in those particular areas. That is all. If it works, and the crime rate drops, and someone's life is saved as result, do you really think it is worth making some far-fetched connection between warsaw and this?

Most people have a knee-jerk reaction to many things when it comes from a country they percieve as an 'unfriendly' or foreign to them. It's normal for those brainwashed into division and them and us scenarios, but the actual reality nine times out of ten is different from the context alot of msn news paints.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
All they need now is some flame throwers and BBQ sauce.

+1

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by crisko

And a big welcome to you my friend, as a perfect example of a brainwashed mainstream media cheerleader.

May you forever perpetuate your thinly-veiled ignorance, racism and war.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

I don't care what they like to call themselves, if you don't adhere to the communist ideology you are not a communist....why is that so hard to understand and why am i dismissing the death of millions of people in my earlier post exactly?

Oh and communism does not equal totalitarianism...I don't know where you got that from.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Solomons]

Where did I get that totalitarianism is equivalent to communism?
Why HISTORY, of course, yep every time, the communist leaders keep capitalism for themselves by pretending that communalism works anad by pretending they are partaking of it instead of just taking from it.
Where did you get that it is not?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Debating with the riff-raff on this site is useless. Just go with the flow and let the brainwashed lemmings put forth their programmed views.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Sorry, that last comment was for you, but...it still didn't mean anything personally.

Just saying (as can be seen from several of the brainwashed lemmings who have commented above), the hyprocrisy is outgrageous.

Noone reads anything anymore, they only react to a retarded, and highly propagandized, headline. It basically shows people on this site (not everyone, but the majority of those who have reacted/posted above) cannot think for themselves. They react to any old headline in the 'media'.

Sad.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join