It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants 'can think and remember'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Plants are able to "remember" and "react" to information contained in light, according to researchers.

Plants, scientists say, transmit information about light intensity and quality from leaf to leaf in a very similar way to our own nervous systems.

These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well this is something I did not expect to find.

IMO, this means that EVERY living thing on this planet has the ability to think for itself, has awareness and can feel in the exact same way as any other creature can. It can only mean that experiments on animals must be stopped.

If a plant can think and remember then so can anything else. Animals do not have a fear of humans for no reason.

This is also a stab in the back for vegetarians too...what are they going to eat now?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I suppose we'll just eat humans. Most people don't have the ability to think for themselves so that works for me.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This is also a stab in the back for vegetarians too...what are they going to eat now?

They think they are real smart, so maybe they can teach themselves to photosynthesize or adapt their body to run on oil and co2 and clean up the planet.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So does walking on grass hurt the lawn?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
lol...that's funny..

I can just imagine all these people stood out in fields chanting

"I am a tree"

There's gonna be some real problems when autumn (fall) comes around.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Im surprised this isn't better known. cleave baxtors secret life of plants shows it pretty well.

I am a vegetarian, Personally i feel whatever you eat is fine as long as you are thankful for receiving the provided nutrients.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

LOL then they will start telling the trees that they are better trees than the real trees because they appreciate the sun more and meditate to it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If we could hear the pain of our dear planet,
We would go insane.

So...where do we go from here, thank you for sharing this.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Uh oh, don't tell the Vegans. They'll have to start eating shadows now.

As mentioned above just be thankful for whatever food you get. I believe that alot of vegetarianism is just a luxury of modern society, you basically have the choice to eat whatever you want because it is very unlikely you will ever be close to starvation.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
oh christ.....i can already see the green movement and tree huggers using this to try and turn us all into avatards. ya know...the navi....they worship plants because its all connected to a nervous system and is self aware. all we need now is some hair that connects us into the planet.

God help us all.

I like being a vengful polluting ape.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Isnt it a fact that meats have neccesary nutrients that we cant get anywhere else?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka

LOL then they will start telling the trees that they are better trees than the real trees because they appreciate the sun more and meditate to it.

Hi there. Actually trees don't have human ego traits. They are sentient. As are many kingdoms that we are mostly currently unaware of.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As odd as it may seem, when people grow plants and talk to them, and the plants supposedly grow better and stronger than if they were not talked to, it could be possible that the plants actually recognise the face of the person and become accustomed to the loving care that the face gives to the plant.

normally it is believed that the plants grow better when we talk to them because of the carbon dioxide we breathe out, but this study throws new light on the matter

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

Of course trees would have tree ego traits. Do I look stupid?
Where is one of these sentient kingoms? I want to visit one.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45

Cutting it might.

Studies have shown that plants can not only feel pain, but react chemically to it in a way as to alert other plants of the impending danger.

So if they feel pain AND think...well...that is a new territory for us to discover.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Cutting it might.

Studies have shown that plants can not only feel pain, but react chemically to it in a way as to alert other plants of the impending danger.

So if they feel pain AND think...well...that is a new territory for us to discover.

- Lee
Amazing. Reminds me of that movie, "The Happening".

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Plants are able to "remember" and "react" to information contained in light, according to researchers.

Plants, scientists say, transmit information about light intensity and quality from leaf to leaf in a very similar way to our own nervous systems.

These "electro-chemical signals" are carried by cells that act as "nerves" of the plants.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well this is something I did not expect to find.

IMO, this means that EVERY living thing on this planet has the ability to think for itself, has awareness and can feel in the exact same way as any other creature can. It can only mean that experiments on animals must be stopped.

If a plant can think and remember then so can anything else. Animals do not have a fear of humans for no reason.

I didn't read the link just your post quote but I did not see them say the plant can "think" .. memory metal can 'remember' it's shape and become animate and return to it's original shape. Do you consider that thinking?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I read Secret life of plants years ago
I highly recommend it
Here,s a good one:

A generic Russian lab technician hacked one of a dozen lettuces to death while the dozen were wired up to polygraphs.
All the lettuces went into shock.
The next day they sent into the room various techies dressed the same. same size, same color hair : nothing happened.
They sent in the hacker:
All the lettuces went into shock.

Shamans know
Everythings connected baby.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Isnt it a fact that meats have neccesary nutrients that we cant get anywhere else?

Meat is the only reliable and unfortified source of vitamin B12.
It is absolutely essential to the human body.

If you aren't getting it from something you will be in trouble.

Vitamin B12's primary functions are in the formation of red blood cells and the maintenence of a healthy nervous system. B12 is necessary for the rapid synthesis of DNA during cell division. This is especially important in tissues where cells are dividing rapidly, particularly the bone marrow tissues responsible for red blood cell formation.

If B12 deficiency occurs, DNA production is disrupted and abnormal cells called megaloblasts occur. This results in anaemia. Symptoms include excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection. Other symptoms can include a smooth, sore tongue and menstrual disorders. Anaemia may also be due to folic acid deficiency, folic acid also being necessary for DNA synthesis.

B12 is also important in maintaining the nervous system. Nerves are surrounded by an insulating fatty sheath comprised of a complex protein called myelin. B12 plays a vital role in the metabolism of fatty acids essential for the maintainence of myelin. Prolonged B12 deficiency can lead to nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage. Vegetarian Society

That is from a Vegetarian website.

The more responsible ones have always acknowledged this fact and advocated a careful level and balance in choosing to walk the green-side.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Reminds me of these nasty critters

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/133bc2728f3c.jpg[/atsimg]

The first documented triffid outbreaks occur in Indochina, where they receive little press attention, until triffids begin appearing in Sumatra, Borneo, Belgian Congo, Colombia, Brazil and other equatorial regions. Although they develop faster in tropical regions, triffids soon begin establishing themselves in many regions outside the polar and desert regions. Once it is discovered that triffids are predatory creatures, they are culled in large numbers, until it is later found out that docking their stingers renders them harmless. Docked triffids soon become fashionable in public and private gardens. As it takes triffids two years to fully regrow their stings, captive triffids are pruned every year. Triffid farms are built in order to produce triffid oil, which is of greater quality when taken from undocked specimens.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join