It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Posted in error.
edit on 11-1-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erad3
If you stop arguing then everyone in the argument forgets.

Talk to the back of a keyboard for a hour.

How do you talk to a atheist that sleep walks?

Ha! What a joke this thread is to discuss.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Erad3]

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Erad3]

Yeah but if you need to resort to shooting people then your weak argument fails
edit on 12-1-2011 by Kayzar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

Woop woop, go Jared.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Am I too late to ask "Whose name do you scream during sex?"

I'm sure that this was already said, but 59 pages is a LOT of pages and it vexes my ADHD to think about reading that much text just to toss out a one liner!

~Heff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm sure that this was already said, but 59 pages is a LOT of pages and it vexes my ADHD to think about reading that much text just to toss out a one liner!

~Heff

I believe they yell dawkins or math

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I yell out "GOD!", of course, just so I can be sure to use the lord's name in vain.

Nah, I don't scream names.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I yell "GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN!"

xD

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Since you are an atheist you have to know everything, and since you know everything you must be a god yourself.

Why if you know everything do you allow evil people to subdue and crush good people?

Why do you allow, with all that knowledge, people to starve?

Why do you not tell everyone the cure for all sickness?

Just wondering because you know it all, if you know there is not a God.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I'm an agnostic atheist. Since you have the true word of God, surely YOU know everything. You even know the own thoughts and desires of a being you can't even prove exists in the first place, well at least your priests claim to.

Let's just get rid of the Old Testament because that word of God can be changed at will by humans.

Make sense anyone?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
anything really ?

one simple question...

Why ?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
the "why" is one thing you will never hear these modern wannabe philosophical physicist try to address, take for instance Michio Kaku, in his comments you always hear him allude to 'creation' but he never addresses the question in his lectures or books. Actually if he were to try he would fail miserably because... not just him, but most of these modern atheists are not versed well enough in philosophy and have no balance.

Might I add the rehashed glossolalia they offer would not sell many books or invites to lecture if they did attempt "the why"

There are truly great men of history and present which have done this with great success and have advanced us leaps and bounds because they were truly open-minded and not driven by monetary gain (Isaac Newton, Roger Bacon, Thomas Aquinas, Galileo Galilee, Carl Sagan, ect) these great men just to name a few always posed the next question... even Carl Sagan is quoted saying there is always a next question.

listen closely to a great man even all atheists admire...

anyone care to attempt the "Why?"

edit on 1/13/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

the "why" is one thing you will never hear these modern wannabe philosophical physicist try to address, take for instance Michio Kaku, in his comments you always hear him allude to 'creation' but he never addresses the question in his lectures or books. Actually if he were to try he would fail miserably because... not just him, but most of these modern atheists are not versed well enough in philosophy and have no balance.

That's because he's a scientist. Science doesn't deal in revealed wisdom. Science is always at the edge of the KNOWN, for what we don't know, people fill in the gaps with potentials, with ideas, possibilities, some are more irrational than others, that's how science progresses. Religion is absolute, objective, and irrational.

Agnostic Atheism is the humble position that states we currently do not have the means to empircally or logically prove the existence of a supernatural deity. That doesn't mean it is untrue, but those who claim to know are acting on blind faith. Those to claim to know "his" desires are deluded.

""when one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion"
edit on 13/1/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

You do realize that they didn't mention creation so much in their works is because it's not based on evidence...contrary to their scientific findings. They are stating a BELIEF when talking about creation. You can quote those beliefs all you want, but the argument of authority isn't a good way of proving your point as I'm sure you're aware

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
for what we don't know, people fill in the gaps with potentials, with ideas, possibilities

why do humans do this ?

Agnostic Atheism is the humble position that states

I am sorry my friend, I am not really interested in your belief system nor your faith, but only interested in the "Why"

In the small clip posted above Carl Sagan (a god among atheists of all denominations) says "can we skip a step and say that the universe is and always was and always will be"

wow that sounds strangely familiar ! yet a second before he comments seemingly negatively on religion...

It is kind of strange I know but I always disassemble things or hear backwards or something, must be a lefty thing? but listening to what he says even before he comments on religion there is somewhat a contradiction in his whole logic... least he too did not realize the box he was working in ?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

1) Atheism isn't a belief...it's very definition is a "lack of belief in deities".

2) Again, Sagan wasn't presenting a scientific study...he was stating a belief...but my guess is you'll continue to ignore it

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

"Why?" No, the answer an atheist must answer isn't "Why?", that is the question to ask the believer, the individual who has a positive position. We're atheists, we have a negative position, we do not express a belief in a positively asserted position. The question you should be asking is "Why not?"

The simple answer is that there is no good reason why we should be believing.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

1) Atheism isn't a belief...it's very definition is a "lack of belief in deities".

I thought we settled this in the Atheism's Missionaries topic ?

Church = Church may refer to: #1 Religion en.wikipedia.org...

you guys may want to write a letter to the first Church of Atheism and have them stop spoiling your namesake

if you would like to discuss Atheism (or rather Anti-Theism) please go to said topic...

but since you brought it up, I say atheists are just not manning-up to full blown Satanism since they are only seemingly "anti-christian" the little box of the world they live in nor realize there are others out there on planet earth.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

If it makes you happy, let me state that I think all religions are misguided as they all rely on similar "stories" as "evidence". One exception is Tibetan Buddhism, but you could argue that's more of a philosophy than a religion...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

"Why?" No, the answer an atheist must answer isn't "Why?", that is the question to ask the believer, the individual who has a positive position. We're atheists, we have a negative position, we do not express a belief in a positively asserted position. The question you should be asking is "Why not?"

The simple answer is that there is no good reason why we should be believing.

most scientist are atheists in this day and age are they not ?

then where or what purpose would they really serve if they did not ask the "why" ?

the "why" is what progresses their particular fields is it not ?

why then can atheists not bridge the gap ? are they not truly scientific minded ?

btw: how ya doin' MIMS

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Atheism put a little more literally only means Anti-Christian, simple as that...

professed atheists are not interested in science otherwise they would not care a hoot about Christians or religion at all, just as most "true" scientist do not choose to position themselves against anyone.

they usually keep it to themselves like matured knowledgeable individuals...

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join