It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
And that is my final reply on the matter. People are stubborn and I would have to sit here and do this for years before you may begin to acknowledge that you were wrong about something. I'm not going to. The dictionary says God is man, the Celtic religion equated man with God, the Luciferian spirituality equates man with God, the Druids equated man with God, the Tribe of Dan, even the Hindu's with the Avatar, and plenty more. God was never meant to be interpreted into an invisible fart floating and gloating in the sky down at humanity. It's easier for you to accept such an image because you feel damned now for making such a rejection. It's ok. I've already proven God exists. The dictionary says it. You don't want to accept it since it proved you wrong. That's ok, you can make up your own language if you want to, call it the language of Atheista, that sounds really groovy. Dictionary: one thing... you: another, period. Peace out, this debate is finished... bye now...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
"Why do religious zealot's continually hound our very existence with little else than their self absorbed ideas and belief's?"

I think Penn Jillette once made a good point about this and I'll have to paraphrase. Basically, if you really truly believed these religious claims with all of your heart and being - you thought it was literally true - and you genuinely cared about people around you (even those you don't know personally), you'd most likely tell people and warn people about it all out of general concern for the welfare of others. It would technically be the moral thing to do.

Since I live in the bible belt and get a lot of this behavior I try to imagine things in these terms: that people are just trying to do what they think is right for you and them (even though it is self-absorbed fantasy nonsense that I absolutely don't care for). It's probably that way for most of the people that do this although there's probably a good chunk of them that are genuine radical fanatics who are more sociopathic than genuinely concerned for you.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhorndisk

Originally posted by adjensen

Well if anyone WAS offended, they should know now that I was being LITERAL, so there's no reason for you to be upset now is there? Magical fairies were considered deities in the Celtic religion, which was influenced by the Tribe of Dan, who was one of the tribes of Israel, which originated from the Hindu cult of Brahm Aryan. If you want to be upset still, then go read a book about it, because to sit down and explain the long history of these people would take several hours and is not something I could do on a forum.

Actually, claiming to be literal makes your point even worse. The Jewish relationship with their God precedes the establishment of the tribe of Dan, so your Celtics claiming multiple deities and referring to them as fairies would be either pagan, and no relation to the Jewish God, or blasphemous, and misrepresenting God was a grave offense to the Jews, usually resulting in stoning.

I'm not upset, you're welcome to continue to offend and alienate people, I'm merely pointing out that, while you have a casual and scattershot approach to this subject, there are those, both atheist and not, who take it very seriously and, with each bizarre claim without backing that you make, or invective that you issue, your credibility will continue to decline.

Wrong Ms Self Righteous. You are taking what I have to say completely out of context. It is the definition of God I am referring to and there were many Gods in the Jewish faith. That is why Genesis says in 1:26 Let US make man in our image accoriding to OUR likeness. Then read Psalms 82. Judaism is a religion made up of many gods not one. You also simply cannot understand because you have no background on the subject of the connection with which I referred.

That's MR Self Righteous to you, if you please! lol

Christians believe that the "Us" you cite refers to the fact that the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is eternal, and thus God is referring to the multiple Godhead. However, I am not a fundamentalist, so I don't read that as necessarily literal, and I am sure that a Jew would have a different reading of it.

I suspect that my knowledge of both Christianity and Judaism is a wee bit larger than yours.

I believe it is a misnomer to claim that God exists because there is a definition in the dictionary. That's a bit like doing your research in an encyclopedia.

But, hey, good luck with it.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Well if you don't believe what your own dictionary source says than your replies are pointless. I already went over this in the video. You don't believe IN: - what you believe god IS. Maybe you don't believe IN HIM, but you do believe that he IS according to the first definition, because you said the third and fourth definition doesn't apply, and kept insisting I also define God according to the first defintion like you and all the Christians. That's what you believe God is, whether or not you believe in him, because there are two types of belief, belief in something's existence, and belief in something's capabilities. The dictionary says God is man and you still aren't understanding the definition because your brainwashing is SO strong - you just aren't getting it. The dictionary says man is god. Therefore, you are still not understanding the definition and meaning of the word "man" at all. You have a fixed, brainwashed concept stuck in your head, even though the dictionary says clearly you are completely wrong. You don't want to accept the dictionary, then make up your own definition of God, like you originally claimed I did.

Once again, sir, I do not believe that any form of god exists. I do not believe god is a floating magic sky fairy or whatever it is you think people imagine gods to be. I am far from brainwashed and find that quite a rude accusation which, if you consider yourself a decent human being, is something you should apologize for.

Again, the dictionary is not objective evidence of your theory that men are gods. With all due respect, you have misinterpreted the third and fourth definitions listed because of the confirmation bias in attempting to validate your personal belief of men being gods. Let's leave the dictionary out of it since this is not evidence. Give me the actual, indisputable evidence that proves to me once and for all that men are gods. Here's your chance to convert the atheist.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Christians believe that the "Us" you cite refers to the fact that the Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) is eternal, and thus God is referring to the multiple Godhead. However, I am not a fundamentalist, so I don't read that as necessarily literal, and I am sure that a Jew would have a different reading of it.

I suspect that my knowledge of both Christianity and Judaism is a wee bit larger than yours.

I believe it is a misnomer to claim that God exists because there is a definition in the dictionary. That's a bit like doing your research in an encyclopedia.

Judaism is a henotheistic religion, meaning out of many gods they chose one. Islam is the same: out of many, Muhammed chose Allah the moon God, coming from Hinduism, because Isha Ayalam (Islam) MEANS Shiva's temple. The Cassite (Hindu) royalty ruled over Israel, having many Hindu gods above them. Christianity (Krishnaism) spawned out of these religions, as did many tribes in the Americas. In Mexico, the Chihuaha desert is pronounced as Shivava (Shiva). They used many of the same words as the Indian people (Sanskrit). The name Rome comes from Ram (Father Ram Brahma, the Aryan Ram), and there are literally hundreds of other examples. The cult spread into every nation of the world, and spawned all the major religions we know of today. When this information is finally recognized throughout the world that all religions come from the same source, all the major religions will unite again under the reign of One World Religion (Luciferianism), the splits designed to divide and conquer, because Christ is Lucifer. That is the plan.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Well if you don't believe what your own dictionary source says than your replies are pointless. I already went over this in the video. You don't believe IN: - what you believe god IS. Maybe you don't believe IN HIM, but you do believe that he IS according to the first definition, because you said the third and fourth definition doesn't apply, and kept insisting I also define God according to the first defintion like you and all the Christians. That's what you believe God is, whether or not you believe in him, because there are two types of belief, belief in something's existence, and belief in something's capabilities. The dictionary says God is man and you still aren't understanding the definition because your brainwashing is SO strong - you just aren't getting it. The dictionary says man is god. Therefore, you are still not understanding the definition and meaning of the word "man" at all. You have a fixed, brainwashed concept stuck in your head, even though the dictionary says clearly you are completely wrong. You don't want to accept the dictionary, then make up your own definition of God, like you originally claimed I did.

Once again, sir, I do not believe that any form of god exists. I do not believe god is a floating magic sky fairy or whatever it is you think people imagine gods to be. I am far from brainwashed and find that quite a rude accusation which, if you consider yourself a decent human being, is something you should apologize for.

Again, the dictionary is not objective evidence of your theory that men are gods. With all due respect, you have misinterpreted the third and fourth definitions listed because of the confirmation bias in attempting to validate your personal belief of men being gods. Let's leave the dictionary out of it since this is not evidence. Give me the actual, indisputable evidence that proves to me once and for all that men are gods. Here's your chance to convert the atheist.

Do you have no concept of what God is with which to not believe in, or are you a nontheist, someone with no concept of God?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Allred5923
"Why do religious zealot's continually hound our very existence with little else than their self absorbed ideas and belief's?"

I think Penn Jillette once made a good point about this and I'll have to paraphrase. Basically, if you really truly believed these religious claims with all of your heart and being - you thought it was literally true - and you genuinely cared about people around you (even those you don't know personally), you'd most likely tell people and warn people about it all out of general concern for the welfare of others. It would technically be the moral thing to do.

That's essentially correct. A Christian believes that it is of the utmost importance to spread the word, as what is at stake is your immortal soul. This is a fairly universal opinion, though different denominations, and different people, obviously, can take a much different tact.

Beyond that, however, there are two special cases. First, there are Christian members of your family or close friends, who have a deeply personal love and concern for you. It is understandable that a believing parent would be concerned about a disbelieving child, for example, as their belief is that they will face eternity without their beloved son or daughter (how that is reconciled in reality, I have no idea. If I am in Heaven, and my wife or daughter is not, I'm not sure how I'd be happy, but I have faith that it works out somehow.)

Secondly, there are groups that view certain passages in the New Testament as defining what can only be described as a "game", wherein you will be rewarded in the afterlife by what you bring to God in this life. I recently read a book that had a chapter devoted to this and I have to admit it seemed a little goofy to me. But an adherent of that doctrine would be a little more persistent, I assume.

As for me, I read the New Testament story of Jesus' sending of the 72 as what we really are supposed to do. Tell the story, make sure that people understand what the deal is, and if they tell you to get bent, move on. If someone listens to something I say and it gives them pause for thought, that's great. If they don't, I don't really care, I'm not interested in badgering anyone into converting.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by adjensen]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Judaism is a henotheistic religion, meaning out of many gods they chose one.

No, it is not. No, they did not.

Christ is Lucifer.

No, he is not.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yes. That's why God says in Psalms 82, "ye (you) are gods, but ye shall die like men, god standeth in the congregation of the GODS."

The translation of day star in the new testament was a mistranslation. The word day star actually says Phosphorous, which means Luciferous.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Not to mention the twelve tribes of Jacob lived in Egypt and worshipped the animal gods when their food storage was low. Or that Judaism wasn't even a religion until after the Babylonian captivity, which is why their holy book is called the Babylonian Talmud (the written credit agreement making all people indebted to Christ Lucifer). They worshipped the Babylonian Gods, and in the year 666 BC, the first king of Babylon named himself God (man was god) Shamash. In addition to Psalms 82, which clearly states that men are gods, and that God stands in the congregation of the other Gods. I mentioned this several pages back but you didn't bother to look it up to see if what I was saying was correct. Now there are 32 translations, so before you bring one up saying God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, which I think you will, which I anticipated, consider researching the etymology of the word, and the correct translation, assuming it is wrong before you bring it up. Jesus is Phosphorous, the shining brilliant one, who bring the light, Lucem means bringer, Fer means light. The light is the knowledge and wisdom of the eternal flame. Only the true Christ could be Luciferous, the bringer of wisdom.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Yes. That's why God says in Psalms 82, "ye (you) are gods, but ye shall die like men, god standeth in the congregation of the GODS."

The translation of day star in the new testament was a mistranslation. The word day star actually says Phosphorous, which means Luciferous.

I'm too lazy to go grab my Bible, but I'd bet that that is a psalm of David, not God, and the reference is that the enemies of Israel, and their sham gods, will be destroyed by David and Israel, by the power of God.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm too lazy to go grab my Bible, but I'd bet that that is a psalm of David, not God, and the reference is that the enemies of Israel, and their sham gods, will be destroyed by David and Israel, by the power of God.

Well I don't appreciate or respect laziness as I've stated before, and it makes this conversation pointless, as the Bible says, it is the glory of God to conceal a thing, and the glory of a King to seek it out. If you are too lazy all it means is that you don't care, so why are you talking to me?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Well I don't appreciate or respect laziness as I've stated before, and it makes this conversation pointless, as the Bible says, it is the glory of God to conceal a thing, and the glory of a King to seek it out. If you are too lazy all it means is that you don't care, so why are you talking to me?

Fine.

"A psalm of Asaph", not a psalm of David, not of God, either. Not a real shock since God didn't write the Psalms. They are songs that are in homage of God, he didn't write any of them. Not a single one.

Regardless, in Psalm 82, "gods" refers to enemies of Israel, not anything else.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It says: God standeth in the congregation of the gods. God Yahweh (from the Hindu cult of Yah, the cult of the material universe) stands among other gods. He is a jealous God, always proclaiming I am thy God, I, me, me, me. He had competition, since there were 30,000 gods before him. Meditate on this: God standeth in the congregation of the gods. It also says, men are gods. Just like Olympus, the giants. By giant, it means the mighty. You aren't getting it: God standeth in the congregation of the gods. You are ignoring this completely to suit your brainwashed comfort zone. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty. Why is God capital G, standing in a congregation of gods? Because there were many gods, 30,000 read the book, The Axe Was God. Yes many of those gods supported the wicked, but they are referred to as gods, because men are gods, and some are wicked. They chose the least wicked according to their opinion. And you have ignored what I said about the Tribes of Jacob living in Egypt and Babylon, and their Holy Book being called the Babylonian Talmud completely to suit your brainwashed comfort zone. God is El, El is Death, which is absolute among men, as he says ye shall die as men, and Jesus is his son, the lion, the sickle of death protruding from his mouth, because he has come to destroy, the great destroyer, Apollyon in Revelation, Apollo, the sun God, Lucifer the bright shining light bringer. You can pick and choose what you want to address all you want, but quite simply Jesus (God) was a MAN, and thus man is god. Just as YHWH demanded meat sacrifice among Cain and Abel, and the Bible says, the Lord is a MAN of war, and he sat down as a man to have lunch with Abraham, and he visited King David in a tent, Adam and Eve heard his footsteps in the garden because he was a man, and it says of Babylon, let US go down there and confound the language of man so he cannot become as one of US. I'm going to go listen to some music now because I'm tired of your brainwashing, it is metaphorically what is referred to as "the wearing down of the saints." Lucifer is God, you failed to address that to, and apparently you are too lazy to look up the mistranslation and would rather refer to the translation given to you by the Vatican's publication, who bathes in gold while children starve to death. I'm so totally done talking to you right now it's not even funny any more. God standeth in the congregation of the gods, whether they be wicked or not. He simply ruled the earth over them as a man because he reached the top of the food pyramid.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mhorndisk

Hooray, my translation (NIV) starts "God presides in the great assembly" (read: it doesn't say "I, God, stand in the great assembly") "he gives judgement among the 'gods'." (read: "he", not "I", and "gods" lower case and in quotes.)

Stop trying to find vindication for your goofy theories in the Bible. It's either clear, or it's a matter for interpretation, in which case an interpretation that is counter to the rest of accepted interpretation is obviously wrong. There is no mainstream support for any of your theories in scholarly readings and study of the scripture.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Hooray, my translation (NIV) starts "God presides in the great assembly" (read: it doesn't say "I, God, stand in the great assembly") "he gives judgement among the 'gods'." (read: "he", not "I", and "gods" lower case and in quotes.)

Stop trying to find vindication for your goofy theories in the Bible. It's either clear, or it's a matter for interpretation, in which case an interpretation that is counter to the rest of accepted interpretation is obviously wrong. There is no mainstream support for any of your theories in scholarly readings and study of the scripture.

No theologian, scientist, philosopher, mathematician has ever confirmed undeniable proof the existence of any Gods, let alone that there are certain rules and regulation to which the God desires of your life, No one has ever proved it. Occam's razor for life.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

No theologian, scientist, philosopher, mathematician has ever confirmed undeniable proof the existence of any Gods, let alone that there are certain rules and regulation to which the God desires of your life, No one has ever proved it. Occam's razor for life.

Correct. If you are the sort that requires objective and concrete proof of God's existence, you're about 2,000 years too late for it, and atheism or agnosticism is a more logical choice.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I'd like to think or at least i hope that religion will soon become extinct, social evolution takes affect....i think its happening in Western civilisations already (with the exception of Texas, lol, jokes)

....and then i look to the East and see countries and continents years in the past, still punish women by form of stoning and thinking this is ok.

Can't people see this is what religion does. It gives people the "divine" warrant to condone unreasoning, illogical and quite frankly despicable acts on other humans.

And people think i'm the opressor, people think i'm the "evil" one for refusing to believe in something when there is a lack of evidence.

[edit on 26/7/10 by awake_and_aware]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Can't people see this is what religion does.

I can't see that. Looks to me like people do it.

It gives people the "divine" warrant to condone unreasoning, illogical and quite frankly despicable acts on other humans.

If I were pragmatic about it, and wanted to stop it, then I think I'd arrange that God told them to knock it off.

What do you think? 100 euro to the local imam, or priest, or witch doctor, or whomever? Bill Gates could scale it up.

Interesting experiment, too. Among the fairy tales that atheists tell about other religions is that people do bad things because of theist religious belief. Of course, atheists present no evidence that people wouldn't do bad things anyway.

I guess it's yet another of those things that when you believe it without evidence, you don't need evidence, because you're not believing anything.

But I digress.

So, there you go: an experiment. Would people confine their behavior to reasoned, logical and quite frankly laudable behavior towards other human beings, if God told them to do it?

Oh, wait. Hasn't that already been tried? How did it work out?

I conclude: First, people do whatever they want and think they can get away with. Second, atheists aren't the only people who blame God for everything that sucks.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by eight bits]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just a point: You do not need to believe in God to cause action in the name of God.

God is a great mass control motivator.

Correction: USE of God is a great mass control motivator. God is silent.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Annee]

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join