It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Depends on the form of belief. Everything is deduced through some belief, now whether the belief is blind or not makes a lot of a difference!

Giant frogs that burp rainbows and pee kittens run wild in the forest of the Congo. They are the magic creators of everything except mechanical pencils.

What was your belief concerning these frogs 5 minutes ago?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Geez Louise man. Your attitude comes across as like a valley girl when you say stuff like, "applicable only to you, and only you," but a spelling nazi to justify it. You should know how to spell Brahma yourself. He was the most influential cult leader the world has ever known. You were attacking me for being 'belittling,' when I was being literal, and the literal sense is found in the Celtic connection to the Tribe of Dan. That's it. It was just to show that I was being literal not belittling. Nobody's demanding you go do some research to verify anything I'm talking about. All I was saying is that I was being literal and not belittling, due to that connection. Now you're trying to take the connection to mean something incredibly secret to everyone in the world but me. Do you get it? I was explaining why I was not being disrespectful, not teaching a lesson about the relevance of the connection! You just want to bring out brand new arguments or you are looking for something that isn't there.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by C09JayLT

It doesn't matter if I give you a reference because you will not spend any time looking into it anyway.

The Celtic people considered their DEITIES as another life form, no more 'higher' or 'better' than themselves or their families. The words 'god' and 'goddess' therefore have a whole different meaning to them as it does to us (normal folks who believe he was an old fart floating around in the sky). They were not worshipped in the same sense as we use the word. They respected and admired them not because they were divine but rather because they could do things that humans could not. The Tuatha De Danann were also not considered immortal, they lived by the same physical laws as the Celts which included death.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhorndisk
The Celtic people considered their DEITIES as another life form

My personal feeling is that you're mistaking "man is god" (your contention) for the much more obvious "man created god in his own image" (the precise opposite of the bible).

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
TD

Fair enough.

"In any sense" was a poor choice of words on my part.

No worry. Have a star on me.

awake_and_aware

Sorry for the delay in answering this one, I think we must have posted over each other earlier.

Look on you tube for the ammount of theists or "creationists" who outright deny the iffutable evidence in favour of the hypothesis and theory for evolution.

Look at the english speaking Muslims who say Evolution is the devils work. It's damn-right irrational and should not be tolerated unless they have a coherent argument against it.

Oh yeah, these people exist. My point in saying that I hadn't met any IRL reflects my belief that they are fairly rare in proportion to the educated adult population in the developed world (That's the only place I ever meet people, and the only kind of people I ever talk with about that subject).

But, of course, even a minuscule proportion of a huge population is enough to keep You Tube in business

(While I have you on the line... You asked a question about Gnosticism a while back. Although you cited my post, I think your question was addressed to someone who was Gnostic, which I'm not. I think that that other guy did answer, so I hope that your question is now resolved.)

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Geez Louise man. Your attitude comes across as like a valley girl when you say stuff like, "applicable only to you, and only you," but a spelling nazi to justify it. You should know how to spell Brahma yourself. He was the most influential cult leader the world has ever known.

Since I'm not in the cult, it doesn't seem like it's my problem that I don't know how to spell something. If he's so important to you, seems like you should be more accurate, particularly when directing someone to research it. A bit like me telling you to go learn more about "Jeebus".

You were attacking me for being 'belittling,' when I was being literal, and the literal sense is found in the Celtic connection to the Tribe of Dan.

I was explaining why I was not being disrespectful, not teaching a lesson about the relevance of the connection! You just want to bring out brand new arguments or you are looking for something that isn't there.

I'm not going to go wade back through your posts in this thread, but you've insulted both atheists and theists by using belittling and disrespecting language. If you don't think that referring to God as a "magical fairy" isn't going to offend someone, you're seriously lacking sense, to go with your lack of manners.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mhorndisk

Hey, I am curious because I don't know much about Celtic religions, but if you don't want to help, that's your problem. No sources, no trust in what you say man.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
TD

Look at the english speaking Muslims who say Evolution is the devils work. It's damn-right irrational and should not be tolerated unless they have a coherent argument against it.[/quote

Oh yeah, these people exist.

Yes, yes they do; they're called religious fanatics and they have a habit of quoting their scriptures to condone their irrational thoughts and ideas.

My point in saying that I hadn't met any IRL reflects my belief that they are fairly rare in proportion to the educated adult population in the developed world (That's the only place I ever meet people, and the only kind of people I ever talk with about that subject)

But what they preach is the word of their bible, its pure out-of-date ignorance, nothing more, its caused them o have irrational thoughts on society, and things like the anti-christ, and other prophecies.

If you don't believe in the full word of the QuRan or the King James Bible or any other bible, why should you deserve the name of true follower? Might as well just start your own religion like many have done.

But, of course, even a minuscule proportion of a huge population is enough to keep You Tube in business

YouTube isn't a business, their agenda isn't to make money (or at least some) you just have fools reading their bibles trying to preach their out of date nonsense, for attention, for followers, for subscribers or just because they believe they are preacing peace, when in fact they are preacing opression of individuality, opression of the mind and submission to a phoney theory of a God with emotions.

Thats why i hate it, i hate it even more that future generations are indoctrinated and not left to think how they want to think.

(

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Geez Louise man. Your attitude comes across as like a valley girl when you say stuff like, "applicable only to you, and only you," but a spelling nazi to justify it. You should know how to spell Brahma yourself. He was the most influential cult leader the world has ever known.

Since I'm not in the cult, it doesn't seem like it's my problem that I don't know how to spell something. If he's so important to you, seems like you should be more accurate, particularly when directing someone to research it. A bit like me telling you to go learn more about "Jeebus".

You were attacking me for being 'belittling,' when I was being literal, and the literal sense is found in the Celtic connection to the Tribe of Dan.

I was explaining why I was not being disrespectful, not teaching a lesson about the relevance of the connection! You just want to bring out brand new arguments or you are looking for something that isn't there.

I'm not going to go wade back through your posts in this thread, but you've insulted both atheists and theists by using belittling and disrespecting language. If you don't think that referring to God as a "magical fairy" isn't going to offend someone, you're seriously lacking sense, to go with your lack of manners.

Well if anyone WAS offended, they should know now that I was being LITERAL, so there's no reason for you to be upset now is there? Magical fairies were considered deities in the Celtic religion, which was influenced by the Tribe of Dan, who was one of the tribes of Israel, which originated from the Hindu cult of Brahm Aryan. If you want to be upset still, then go read a book about it, because to sit down and explain the long history of these people would take several hours and is not something I could do on a forum.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by C09JayLT

Hey, I am curious because I don't know much about Celtic religions, but if you don't want to help, that's your problem. No sources, no trust in what you say man.

Then go pick up a book about the Celtic religion! There are literally thousands. Pick which one best suits your fancy.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

The Celtic people considered their DEITIES as another life form

My personal feeling is that you're mistaking "man is god" (your contention) for the much more obvious "man created god in his own image" (the precise opposite of the bible).

I'm not confusing them they are serparate ideas that have nothing to do with each other, and I believe that both are true. If I believe both are true, how could I be mistaking them for each other? Man (like you) creates god in his own image (you believe he's a magic man floating around in the sky) - therefore YOU created him according to your own image. But you could have made him up to be whatever you wanted, including: a magic bunny that brings you eggs, a man who rides on deers and stops time, a fairy that comes to take your teeth, etc etc. To do so ignores the other meaning of god, that man is god, or that, like in the Celtic religion, man is equal to god (an example of another religion/spiritual system besides luciferianism that doesn't fit your atheistic definition of god.)

[edit on 25-7-2010 by mhorndisk]

[edit on 25-7-2010 by mhorndisk]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Well if anyone WAS offended, they should know now that I was being LITERAL, so there's no reason for you to be upset now is there? Magical fairies were considered deities in the Celtic religion, which was influenced by the Tribe of Dan, who was one of the tribes of Israel, which originated from the Hindu cult of Brahm Aryan. If you want to be upset still, then go read a book about it, because to sit down and explain the long history of these people would take several hours and is not something I could do on a forum.

Actually, claiming to be literal makes your point even worse. The Jewish relationship with their God precedes the establishment of the tribe of Dan, so your Celtics claiming multiple deities and referring to them as fairies would be either pagan, and no relation to the Jewish God, or blasphemous, and misrepresenting God was a grave offense to the Jews, usually resulting in stoning.

I'm not upset, you're welcome to continue to offend and alienate people, I'm merely pointing out that, while you have a casual and scattershot approach to this subject, there are those, both atheist and not, who take it very seriously and, with each bizarre claim without backing that you make, or invective that you issue, your credibility will continue to decline.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I did grab info on it when you said it, and what I found said that faries were a more powerful race or some sort of powerful spirits, but did not say they were deities. Also, I know abput early Aryan influences on Hinduism, but I haven't seen anything saying ideas traveled the other way. I just want a couple credible links to help support/understand your ideas. That is pretty standard fair when one is making new claims around here.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Actually, claiming to be literal makes your point even worse. The Jewish relationship with their God precedes the establishment of the tribe of Dan, so your Celtics claiming multiple deities and referring to them as fairies would be either pagan, and no relation to the Jewish God, or blasphemous, and misrepresenting God was a grave offense to the Jews, usually resulting in stoning.

I'm not upset, you're welcome to continue to offend and alienate people, I'm merely pointing out that, while you have a casual and scattershot approach to this subject, there are those, both atheist and not, who take it very seriously and, with each bizarre claim without backing that you make, or invective that you issue, your credibility will continue to decline.

Wrong Ms Self Righteous. You are taking what I have to say completely out of context. It is the definition of God I am referring to and there were many Gods in the Jewish faith. That is why Genesis says in 1:26 Let US make man in our image accoriding to OUR likeness. Then read Psalms 82. Judaism is a religion made up of many gods not one. You also simply cannot understand because you have no background on the subject of the connection with which I referred.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I did grab info on it when you said it, and what I found said that faries were a more powerful race or some sort of powerful spirits, but did not say they were deities. Also, I know abput early Aryan influences on Hinduism, but I haven't seen anything saying ideas traveled the other way. I just want a couple credible links to help support/understand your ideas. That is pretty standard fair when one is making new claims around here.

Like I said, if I source some information to you not only will you not look into it, it goes against my belief against lazy people. But although I could give you many sources, how about I give you just one, since I think the only reason you want me to source something is because of your ego, and I'll let you figure out why. Go read the book called, "India once ruled the Americas," and to prove you actually followed up on the source, tell me what the first and last sentence of each chapter says, and then maybe I'll give you another one. The reason it goes against my respect of another is as the Bible says, it is the glory of God to conceal a thing, and the glory of Kings to seek it out.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Man (like you) creates god in his own image (you believe he's a magic man floating around in the sky) - therefore YOU created him according to your own image.

I'm sorry, Adam, this is incorrect. I do not believe there even is a god, let alone that men are gods. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for you to present the objective evidence that supports this claim.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Hey traditionaldrummer,
Myself, as an atheist do have a question for you.
"Why do religious zealot's continually hound our very existence with little else than their self absorbed ideas and belief's?"
I for one don't try to discuss religion, but it seems as if all the religious individuals have our fates picked out an designed for us atheists. I try to remain calm and collected with explanation, but to no avail, they pursue the "Your going to hell if you don't convert!" or "Your kind are so blind and stupid...." kinds of retaliation's.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I am going to look it up, but I'm definately not going to quote the thing to you. Thank you for finally providing a source. When you make a claim, you have the burden of proof. It is not lazy for me to reject it without evidence after I have looked on my own and you haven't supplied, it is guliable.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I am going to look it up, but I'm definately not going to quote the thing to you. Thank you for finally providing a source. When you make a claim, you have the burden of proof. It is not lazy for me to reject it without evidence after I have looked on my own and you haven't supplied, it is guliable.

Just look into the topic, there's tons of books on the subject.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Man (like you) creates god in his own image (you believe he's a magic man floating around in the sky) - therefore YOU created him according to your own image.

I'm sorry, Adam, this is incorrect. I do not believe there even is a god, let alone that men are gods. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for you to present the objective evidence that supports this claim.

Well if you don't believe what your own dictionary source says than your replies are pointless. I already went over this in the video. You don't believe IN: - what you believe god IS. Maybe you don't believe IN HIM, but you do believe that he IS according to the first definition, because you said the third and fourth definition doesn't apply, and kept insisting I also define God according to the first defintion like you and all the Christians. That's what you believe God is, whether or not you believe in him, because there are two types of belief, belief in something's existence, and belief in something's capabilities. The dictionary says God is man and you still aren't understanding the definition because your brainwashing is SO strong - you just aren't getting it. The dictionary says man is god. Therefore, you are still not understanding the definition and meaning of the word "man" at all. You have a fixed, brainwashed concept stuck in your head, even though the dictionary says clearly you are completely wrong. You don't want to accept the dictionary, then make up your own definition of God, like you originally claimed I did.

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join