It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhorndisk
What do they call the Pope? THE HOLY FATHER. That means GOD. There are many concepts of God that clearly are rock solid and truly must exist. You are taking a definition of God that quite simply is ridiculous as proof of something... Evidence of something... But what? That God doesn't exist? Of course he does!

The pope is allegedly the highest ranking human ambassador to god, not god himself. I will agree that the definition of god is ridiculous but nobody, including yourself, has established conclusively the existence of god(s) - even by redefinition.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's fine if you don't believe in the supernatural idea of God. I don't either. But I do believe people have the ability to become something close to it. And I believe in YOU (as a God), as a Star, because you are very intelligent. And you will become something you never thought could exist, if people believe in you.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I get it!

Ask an atheist anything and he'll tell you there's not enough evidence.

Wowzers.

But seriously, what are dreams made of?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Of course the Pope is God, not the ambassador (that's an assumption). People throughout history have called him Lord God the Pope. The very name The Holy Father implies he is in fact God. He speaks for God. Vicarious Fili Dei means he REPRESENTS God (speaks the word of God).

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It's fine if you don't believe in the supernatural idea of God. I don't either. But I do believe people have the ability to become something close to it.

I can somewhat agree on this point, but only in this way: we can acquire technologies that could achieve things that our ancestors would have only viewed as magical or godlike.

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

This, however, does not make us gods or imply that we have an inherent godlike or divine qualities.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AProphet1233

Sweet dreams are made of these.
Who am I to disagree?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The very name The Holy Father implies he is in fact God.

Assuming that's true it also implies that god is also the leader of a child rape ring.

I still haven't seen the evidence confirming man is god or vice versa. Is there any?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Quote: This, however, does not make us gods or imply that we have an inherent godlike or divine qualities.

OH GOD! You pulled out the dictionary and said it yourself! God is an emperor or a someone of important value! What definition are you using to say that this does not make people gods! Clearly not one that has been published!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by AProphet1233

Sweet dreams are made of these.
Who am I to disagree?

Lol, quite right sir, quite right.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes and millions of people are starving to death while he and his church bathes in gold. Like I said in my video, you can believe IN someone, (like when you say, I believe in you son), or you can believe IN their existence. Man is good and bad, mother nature's a whore, but a loving mother.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

True, nor did I issue it as a universal generalization which includes all religions. I believe we've also discussed that my statements which you isolate are not intended as universal generalizations. If not, we should have .It sure would be nice if we could get beyond these petty interpretations and immature debate tactics once and for all. Good day, sir.

You write these little squibs as if it is your readers' job to figure out what you're trying to say.

These conversations take so long because you say something like "I restricted it to Abrahamics." But, when we go back and look, you didn't say any such thing.

If you can't figure out what you've posted, then where is the mystery that I can't either?

If you dropped the put-upon attitude, and when somebody says "I don't see how that can be true as written," you just say, "Oh yeah, I meant to say exclusively, but I didn't," then our "problem" evaporates.

You misspoke. No big deal, until you make it a big deal by lashing out at somebody who is honestly trying to figure out what your position is.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Belief in God's existence doesn't require religion or science. You don't have to be religious to believe God exists. You don't even have to be spiritual. GOD IS JUST A WORD! It means someone of great value, someone admirable. It's not the idea that there's a magical fairy.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The masses tend to believe the universe began with either nothing, or a magical fairy. But nobody will ever know, and I do despise religion for its desecrations, but really I despise the people running the religion, and the same people are running the science. This is called divide and concquer, pick the fairy or pick the void, and argue and fight about it. That was the plan.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
...The plan to distract you from discovering your True power.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
...Because you're always looking on the outside... for that fairy, when the answer is on the inside. Now I have no way to back this up, but I believe the universe is a brain, and it's because of a vision I had, seeing the cortex as a living tree. It was so weird. We are cells in the mind of a super being, smaller than you could imagine. But that makes more sense to me than the big bang or a magical fairy, and opens up even more questions and possibilities, but I don't know the answer, and neither does anyone else.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
After catching up on my reading of several pages, it really is a moot point whether one believes, or doesn't believe, in God (any version). What IS....IS. Whether you believe or not. People like staying in their comfort zone. If that means not believing, then that's just fine. If someone wants to believe in God (any of the versions), that's just fine too. Everyone evolves at their own pace and each person has to seek their own level of comfort and what resonates inside them. When it comes to issues that have no "proof", then the only thing one can do is feel how something resonates with them. If it feels deep inside that it's right...go with it. If it doesn't....ignore it. Everyone has the right to believe in what they want on their path of enlightenment. Namaste.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by ptmckiou]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Going for a swim... catch you all later. I enjoyed the conversation.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Quote: This, however, does not make us gods or imply that we have an inherent godlike or divine qualities.

OH GOD! You pulled out the dictionary and said it yourself! God is an emperor or a someone of important value! What definition are you using to say that this does not make people gods! Clearly not one that has been published!

I used a single definition of how "god" as a noun referent could be implied in language. This, however, ignores the main and first-listed definition of "god". You have not established a link that indicates men are gods. [Also, the definition of a god is not an "emperor"]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
You misspoke. No big deal, until you make it a big deal by lashing out at somebody who is honestly trying to figure out what your position is.

No, I pointed it out. Perhaps not in the very post you extracted a quote from, but it's there. Reading a bit of the thread should prevent you from committing those mistakes in the future.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

...Because you're always looking on the outside... for that fairy, when the answer is on the inside. Now I have no way to back this up, but I believe the universe is a brain, and it's because of a vision I had, seeing the cortex as a living tree. It was so weird. We are cells in the mind of a super being, smaller than you could imagine. But that makes more sense to me than the big bang or a magical fairy, and opens up even more questions and possibilities, but I don't know the answer, and neither does anyone else.

Fair enough. Your subjective experiences, redefinitions of words and inventive concepts give you the room necessary to operate as a kind of theist - or shall I say, retain some form of superstitious belief system. Subjective experience is usually all that's needed for the believer to believe.

Without proof and objective evidence favoring your position it's unlikely that you'll sway more discerning individuals: nonbelievers to be exact, to your beliefs, nor mutate your beliefs into fact. And thanks for the video though I doubt you've sealed the coffin on either theism or atheism. Have a nice swim.

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join