It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Lack of belief in deities is not a belief. Just as the TV not being turned on is not a channel.

Yes, but if you turn off the 'television' (ie: other ideas or points of view) you will never be open to considering other truths beyond the ones that you have convinced yourself of.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
If atheist don't believe in God then why do you guys believe this is the year 2010? Aren't dates based on when Christ died?

The number describing current times is arbitrary. To Jewish people it's the year 5771.

Should it be the year 4.5 Billion or so to you guys?

Somewhere thereabout. It'd sure be harder to write checks though.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Isn't atheism a religion? A group of people who believe in something. In this case, nothing?

No, atheism is not a religion. It has no leaders, no messiahs, no mandates, no holidays, no false promises or any of the other features of religions.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
If God, after prayer for subjective evidence, in your room when you're alone, himself said "I am real, son, but for reasons of my own I will not give objective proof to humans" and appeared in your face and left a small mark in your hand or leg so you'll never forget, you'd still not believe it? That's basically what I'm trying to ask.

I would be not only suspicious of my own sanity but of the motives of a supernatural being with such a requirement. If such an event could not be substantiated outside of my own mind it will always be a subject of personal scrutiny of my mental state (and others may also apply the same scrutiny).

Note: I am not implying anything about you or your mental state - it's simply how I would personally view such an experience in myself. I'm glad you had your experience and shared it with me. Thanks for your conversation.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beansanmash

Yes, but if you turn off the 'television' (ie: other ideas or points of view) you will never be open to considering other truths beyond the ones that you have convinced yourself of.

Incorrect. I have stated many times that I am completely open to evidence. "Truths" are generally not something a rational person would decide whether to accept or not: they are indisputable facts about the universe. The existence of deities is simply a proposition which is unsupported by evidence. There is nothing truthful or factual about the proposition. However, should objective, testable evidence confirm the existence of deities I would have no way to avoid accepting the existence of deities: it would no longer be a matter of belief or disbelief.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
If God, after prayer for subjective evidence, in your room when you're alone, himself said "I am real, son, but for reasons of my own I will not give objective proof to humans" and appeared in your face and left a small mark in your hand or leg so you'll never forget, you'd still not believe it? That's basically what I'm trying to ask.

I would be not only suspicious of my own sanity but of the motives of a supernatural being with such a requirement. If such an event could not be substantiated outside of my own mind it will always be a subject of personal scrutiny of my mental state (and others may also apply the same scrutiny).

Note: I am not implying anything about you or your mental state - it's simply how I would personally view such an experience in myself. I'm glad you had your experience and shared it with me. Thanks for your conversation.

That's not exactly what happened to me. But an experience similar to that happened. God Himself did not appear to me or say anything or leave any mark. But I had a bunch of experiences over the months that made me reconsider my stance on the matter. Before that I was an athiest and a materialist who didn't believe in all this.

It was a pleasure to talk with you, too.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beansanmash

But it is not a choice in the same way turning off a TV is a choice. I don't decide there is not enough evidence for god; there just isn't. I don't pick what I see, I just interpert it as best and logically as I can.

Ex

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I would like to know if you have ever been
in a real life and death experience?
Or at a sudden moment thought you were about to die??

Sincerely

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex

Sincerely

I have.

Still don't believe in a God.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex

Sincerely

Yes. I had two accidents on two separate rivers. Almost drowned both times.

Very scary.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex

Sincerely

And so did I.

In fact, I live under the constant threat of a potentially very fatal, very serious illness.

And no sudden revelations came by at the moment of diagnosis, which was certainly the most horrifying moment of my life.

Neither did they come after much pondering at the meaning of death.

Do you think I´m scared? Sure I am.

But I cannot force myself to believe in some deity just for the sake of my peace of mind.

I try to live justly, and make the best of the time I still got available here.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex

Yep, it scared the crap outta me. Had one as a christian and one as an atheist. I didn't notice divine intervention or a revelation either time though.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have a question. Do you carry that dead horse on your back everywhere you go or do you just beat it here on ATS? You're an atheist. We get it. Are you interested in anything besides yourself and your non-beliefs? Or maybe you're looking to convert the infidels who believe in something other than what you've decided to (not) believe in? I guess Ani DiFranco was right when she said, "Everyone...is a @$%$#$ Napoleon."

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Def Youth]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
II reply to post by Def Youth

I don't care what your beleifs are, and I am not out to make converts. I do care about people misrepresenting my thoughts/opinions/humanity/morality/anything else on the fact that I am an atheist. I don't rub it in people's faces, but I don't hide my atheism and I don't stand for untruths about it.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
First of all, this is my first post on ATS so excuse me if I do something wrong

I personally am an agnostic. However I'd like to ask a couple questions to clear up a few things on atheism (apologies if these have already been asked in this 24 page thread
)

1. Does atheism simply refer to the lack of belief in deities, or is it the stance that no deities exist whatsover (which would seem illogical to me, because you can't actually prove that a god doesn't exist)

2. Are you open to the thought of reincarnation? What about near death experiences? NDE's have evidence backing them up that they aren't simply hallucinations of the mind (because many occur while there is a little to no brain activity). Reincarnation has less direct evidence supporting it but numerous anecdotal accounts that simply can't be all blown off as people making stuff up.

Once again, sorry if you've already answered these.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Then why are there not religions for NOT believing in evolution,

There are. It's called Christianity, Islam, methodist, baptist, etc etc etc

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Isn't atheism a religion? A group of people who believe in something. In this case, nothing?

No, atheism is not a religion. It has no leaders, no messiahs, no mandates, no holidays, no false promises or any of the other features of religions.

Funny, I thought religion was a set of shared beliefs in something. Is that not the same as atheism?

But let me ask this. If a group of atheist got together then the subject of "not believing" can never come up right? Because if it comes up then the meeting now becomes a set of shared beliefs in something. In this case, a shared belief in nothing.

Is it a cult instead?

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Come Clean]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
What if you're wrong and God does exist?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Funny, I thought religion was a set of shared beliefs in something. Is that not the same as atheism?

But let me ask this. If a group of atheist got together then the subject of "not believing" can never come up right? Because if it comes up then the meeting now becomes a set of shared beliefs in something. In this case, a shared belief in nothing.

Is it a cult instead?

Sigh. He has already explained that a number of times, yet you continually ignore the explanations given. You need to stop thinking of Atheism as a movement that actively seeks to disprove the beliefs of religion. A small minority do those things, but most Atheists simply disbelief in the existence of a deity. Nothing more, nothing less.

[edit on 19/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

What if you're wrong and God does exist?

I will admit that on balance, it seems like believing in God is the better choice because the consequences of being wrong are pretty dire. The thing you have to remember is that the only reason it seems better is because it appeals to one's sense of Fear.

Notice how the reverse doesn't involve appealing to Fear. If you take away the Fear aspect, little separates them in being the desirable alternative. Intuition tells me that using Fear as the deciding factor makes it the wrong one, because Truth does NOT fear Untruth; Untruth Fears Truth.

[edit on 19/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join