It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Consciousness is a separate entity. Thought is energy. Consciousness is collective thought that creates reality.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hieron
traditionaldrummer,

First of all: how strong is your conviction?
>75%
>95%
>99.99%
??

Greater than 99.99% positive. I'll still leave the possibility open but due to statistics I am a de facto atheist. Such statistical odds leave me able to form a reasonable certitude.

Would you say that above a certain level of intelligence, the great majority of people are nonbelievers?

Definitely not. Many of the world's most intelligent people have been and are theists or deists.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cLOUDDEAD
Why do you spend so much time talking about something you don't believe in? I don't believe Pokemon are real, but my life doesn't revolve around me not believing in Pokemon.

I'm not talking about things I don't believe in. I'm offering a forum for people to ask an atheist a question so that they may clear up any misunderstandings or assumptions they may have. That happens frequently on these boards.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ptmckiou

Consciousness is a separate entity. Thought is energy. Consciousness is collective thought that creates reality.

Reality exists regardless of thought. What do you claim consciousness is separate from? Are you certain that thought is simply energy?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Do you believe that all so called prophets and enlightened ones such as Buddha were delusional when they they talked of non physical planes of dimension. Also are you familiar with Carl Jung's work, he's my favorite psychologist and talks alot about reocuring archetypes and the power of the subconcious mind. He also beleived in a collective unconcious which is a sort of dream world that we all share.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Lack of belief in deities is not a belief. Just as the TV not being turned on is not a channel.

So you're like a TV that's turned off, except unlike a TV that's turned off you still make a lot of noise.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

Why do you spend so much time talking about something you don't believe in? I don't believe Pokemon are real, but my life doesn't revolve around me not believing in Pokemon.

The reason many atheists like to talk about religion and gods is because, unlike Pokemon, there are grown men and women who believe in them. If there were adults going around handing out pamphlets for a Church of Santa Claus I can guarantee you atheists, and even other forms of theists, would be talking about those beliefs and how they make no sense.

Plus since when does something have to exist in order for people to talk about it? People discuss fictional characters from movies, myths, novels etc all the time without them having to exist.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I guess my question is: Were you ever a theist? And if so what led you to doubt, question and ultimately give up that belief?

I know this is directed to the OP, but I feel like I can throw a thoughtful answer in as well. I believed in christianity until about two years ago. The reasons that I began to doubt were numerous. First of all, the hypocrisy of religion in general, the idea that Earth is the only planet EVER with life on it, with the only savior sent to Earth, and humans are made in god's image, which would mean that there are no other life forms in our infinite and ever-expanding universe. I only truly began to question and give up my beliefs when I took a philosophy class last semester in college. This is the one paragraph that truly changed my beliefs:
"Is god omnipresent, omnipotent, and totally good?"
"If so, then why is evil happening in the world?"
"If god is omnipotent, he has the power to stop all evil, and if he is totally good, he cannot be allowed to let evil occur, unless he is not totally good."
"If god sees the evil, but cannot stop it, then he is not omnipotent."

Since evil still occurs, god either does not exist, or is not any of the things that humanity believes him to be.

link   
Is there morality? If so, why? And how do we judge an act as moral?

link   

Originally posted by damastadamind
Do you believe that all so called prophets and enlightened ones such as Buddha were delusional when they they talked of non physical planes of dimension. Also are you familiar with Carl Jung's work, he's my favorite psychologist and talks alot about reocuring archetypes and the power of the subconcious mind. He also beleived in a collective unconcious which is a sort of dream world that we all share.

I believe that "enlightened ones" attempted to describe issues of consciousness in the best way they could. At the end of the day what they have is some metaphysical claims devoid of supporting evidence. Jung was brilliant in many ways but had a way of assigning particular significance to issues of the mind that have other, rather banal explanations.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hieron
Is there morality? If so, why? And how do we judge an act as moral?

All cultures have arbitrary morality. Morals are derived from social contract and are acted on accordingly.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by damastadamind

Well, Dr. Michael Persinger has found a spot in the left temporal lobe that produces "religious experiences." In fact it is quite common for people who suffer from epilepsy in this region to have these experiences. These experiences also come with hypergraphia, an almost obsessive need to write down their new experiences and beliefs.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

All right who are you behind those eyes!?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Lack of belief in deities is not a belief. Just as the TV not being turned on is not a channel.

So you're like a TV that's turned off, except unlike a TV that's turned off you still make a lot of noise.

Sir, the noise comes from your bigoted insults. I'm here to offer an opportunity for you to ask a question to an atheist, nothing more. Should you choose to issue negative remarks it says more about you than about I. You're free to act as you wish though.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Youd be surprised how spiritual one become's 20 minutes before we die!

Whats your interpretation of unconditional love?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
**Since evil still occurs, god either does not exist, or is not any of the things that humanity believes him to be.***

Most concepts of God give him human traits. Wrong. What is evil? That is subjective. Why do evil things occur? In a 3 dimensional reality, if there was no such thing as "bad" then you wouldn't know what good is, because there would be no reference point for which to make a comparison. That is whole reason for "bad" or "evil".

The other important aspect is there is no reason to "interfere" with "evil" things happening to mankind because nothing that happens to you here can harm the true you...your soul. Nothing can harm energy. Whats the worst thing that can happen ....you "die" and you get to go back home. That isn't a bad thing. What happens to us here when we incarnate is a short lived educational study program and then we go back to the collective consciousness..our true "home".

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCDAVECLARKE
Youd be surprised how spiritual one become's 20 minutes before we die!

I suppose we'd all try to bargain our way out of death.

Whats your interpretation of unconditional love?

Love without conditions? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here. What other definition could there be?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ptmckiou
What happens to us here when we incarnate is a short lived educational study program and then we go back to the collective consciousness..our true "home".

Have you any proof or evidence for this metaphysical claim?

This sounds like quite a religious concept.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just one word of caution for an atheist on his death bed. Since our thoughts form reality ...if you want to see nothing after you die. That is exactly what you will experience. Nothing. You will create your reality.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Well I guess I hurt your feelings.... maybe next time try giving smarter analogies in response to a question about your absence of beliefs

[edit on 14-7-2010 by soleprobe]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join