It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask An Atheist Anything

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All too often I see remarks lodged against atheists in general. Very rarely do I find anyone asking an atheist for opinions and facts about their non-beliefs.

Perhaps I can help clear up any misunderstandings or incorrect assumptions you may have about people without beliefs. This can only help, as an overwhelming majority of negative comments about atheists and atheism are tragically incorrect.

Feel free to ask anything. Thanks for your time and have a great day.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I would ask you if you believe being an atheist really means having no beliefs. For me it is just another belief system. Albeit one that denies the beliefs of others.

I used to think I was an atheist until I realised giving my self a label meant I had to conform to the belief of there being no God/deity. I can't prove there isn't therefor it was just a belief. I'm comfortable admitting that I just don't know.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Namaste1001]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hi,traditionaldrummer,hope it's ok for a newbie to join in here :-)
Found this thread interesting,agreed. As I to don't believe in any god -goddess,well not in the sense that has been taught to me..Haven't done for many years now,though i still view myself as a spiritually person

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Very rarely do I find anyone asking an atheist for opinions and facts about their non-beliefs.

What is there to ask..? You already know the answer.

Also, being an atheist is no better than being a religious zealot - both of you are in denial.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I guess I have a hard time understanding the logic to many atheists in stating that they believe once you die...that's it, it's the end, and they usually make their justifications based on their belief in science, when science supports the opposite.

Since all matter in the universe is made from energy (like matter clumps together to form matter) and we too are matter, and physics 101 tells you that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only change molecular structure....then how is it (the question) that you believe your bodies energy (known by most as the soul) stops existing at the time of the death of your body? That completely goes against physics and the law of nature. Your energy lives on. I mean come on.... what is a ghost..but pure plasma energy. There is nothing but energy...what is all the collective energy in the universe? God. There is nothing but the ALL because ALL is ONE. Intelligent energy=God. Is everywhere...in all things, has always been...and will always be. Divine energy is matter. The ALL of the universe. There is nothing but energy. YOU (your energy..the true you and not the vessel its housed in) has always been...and will always be. That's the nature of energy.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by ptmckiou]

link   

As an atheist its nice to see there are others here on ATS. Hopefully this thread will clear up the straw man versions of atheism that get touted by believers - like how we're all immoral scum who secretly believe in God but are just angry with him

I guess my question is: Were you ever a theist? And if so what led you to doubt, question and ultimately give up that belief?

link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
I would ask you if you believe being an atheist really means having no beliefs. For me it is just another belief system. Albeit one that denies the beliefs of others.

Lack of belief in deities is not a belief. Just as the TV not being turned on is not a channel.

I used to think I was an atheist until I realised giving my self a label meant I had to conform to the belief of there being no God/deity. I can't prove there isn't therefor it was just a belief. I'm comfortable admitting that I just don't know.

It's not your burden to prove there isn't deities. Anyone can make any theoretical argument that they cannot prove and you cannot falsify. It doesn't mean their theoretical argument carries any weight.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Namaste1001]

So you decided to give yourself another label, that of an agnostic? Granted, there's more wiggle room in it, but it's still a label and it's still technically a belief.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

I haven't claimed to know anything. Just that perhaps I could clear up any misconceptions such as:

Also, being an atheist is no better than being a religious zealot - both of you are in denial.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Do you feel that being an atheist precludes the existence of the soul or spirit?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ptmckiou
I guess I have a hard time understanding the logic to many atheists in stating that they believe once you die...that's it, it's the end, and they usually make their justifications based on their belief in science, when science supports the opposite.

Science does not support the opposite and nothing about termination of life violates any known physics. Batteries also "die" in a sense.

Since all matter in the universe is made from energy (like matter clumps together to form matter) and we too are matter, and physics 101 tells you that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only change molecular structure....

I believe your science is a bit off here. You may wish to revisit your premise.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Atheism is not the claim that I KNOW there is no God, it is the lack of belief of the theistic claim: A God or gods exist. It is not an assertion of knowledge but is merely the lack of belief. There very well could be a god or gods but since no evidence for them exists atheists lack belief.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I guess my question is: Were you ever a theist? And if so what led you to doubt, question and ultimately give up that belief?

I gave credence to the fact that there could be deities or supernatural beings at one time. Once thorough investigation reveals there is no objective evidence for such things I stopped giving the notion any credence.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brentnauer

Do you feel that being an atheist precludes the existence of the soul or spirit?

I don't see objective evidence for a soul or spirit. It could be possible I suppose but I tend to believe that what we refer to as "souls" and "spirits" are simply our interpretations of our consciousness as an actual entity.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
please explain your belief of imagination, and whether or not u believe in a subconsious link between physical reality and ideas/mind/imagination

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
traditionaldrummer,

First of all: how strong is your conviction?
>75%
>95%
>99.99%
??

Would you say that above a certain level of intelligence, the great majority of people are nonbelievers?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You need to study up more atoms and quantum physics my friend.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Atheism is not the claim that I KNOW there is no God, it is the lack of belief of the theistic claim: A God or gods exist. It is not an assertion of knowledge but is merely the lack of belief. There very well could be a god or gods but since no evidence for them exists atheists lack belief.

Actually, a positive assertion that there is no god (that you know there is none) is strong atheism. Soft or negative atheism is generally all other forms of non-theism.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Why do you spend so much time talking about something you don't believe in? I don't believe Pokemon are real, but my life doesn't revolve around me not believing in Pokemon.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by damastadamind
please explain your belief of imagination, and whether or not u believe in a subconsious link between physical reality and ideas/mind/imagination

Imagination is a consequence of thought. There is a link between the physical brain and modes of thought since this is what the brain does. If you're asking whether I suspect that the mind alone can affect the physical world without the use of bodily action I would say no.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join