It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Channel The Colony Season 2

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Awhile watching the Discovery Channel this morning a advertisement for a new season of a survival show came on which caught my attention, I've never seen or heard of this show before, and I wanted to know if anybody has watched the first season? If not, I would like to share this with you and hopefully it will be a good show to watch.

The show is called, The Colony, it airs July 27, at 10PM.

They take 7 volunteers from different backgrounds and put them in the aftermath of a simulated catastrophe, their only supplies are what they can find in the area. They have 10 weeks to survive and rebuild their colony. This is not a reality game show, it is a human experiment to see how people from everyday walks of life survive and work together in a world where a major catastrophe has occurred and the luxuries have been removed.

About the Show

AN ALL NEW SURVIVAL EXPERIMENT BEGINS
TUESDAY, JULY 27 AT 10PM ET/PT

What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? Even if you survived it, could you survive the aftermath?

Season Two of THE COLONY introduces viewers to a new group of volunteers with differing backgrounds, skills and personalities, to bear witness to how these colonists will survive and rebuild in a world without electricity, running water, government or outside communication.

Over the course of 10 episodes, the colonists — who include a construction foreman, teacher, carpenter and auto mechanic — must work to utilize and strengthen their exploration, technology and survival skills in ways they've never had to before.

THE COLONY features on-going commentary and input from experts in homeland security, engineering, psychology and the medical community, with expertise and insight into what the future could look like after a biological disaster.

Filmed on 10 acres of abandoned neighborhood on the Gulf Coast of Louisiana,

THE COLONY'S simulated environment had been left decimated by Hurricane Katrina, a naturally occurring disaster zone that was slated to be bulldozed and turned into a public park. Empty buildings, weedy streets and the backwoods are all the colonists have to work with as they scavenge essentials for survival from their surroundings while fending off threats such as wild animals and malicious outsiders.

Throughout this season, the colonists face daunting physical and emotional challenges as they attempt to survive in a world void of all the niceties they've ever known, including environmental dangers such as disastrous weather and indigenous wildlife.

THE COLONY begins with the volunteers facing a 72 hour isolation period to psychologically shift their perspective from our modern world to the end of the world. Shortly after the integration into the colony, the threat of survival becomes imminent as hostile outsiders push them into a physical confrontation. How do the colonists respond and will their newfound skills be enough to protect their supplies and lives?

dsc.discovery.com...

You can find more information about the show and a number of video clips from the show here.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I watched the whole first season. It was ok (the blond nurse was good looking) but it wasn't very believable. They pulled the doctor out after a few weeks. (They left him in a building and he never returned. It's not as good as you might think and there were alot of things that didn't mesh to me. They did lose a lot of weight during the show.

Did you have any particular questions?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Thanks for your reply.

I never heard about this show until today, the commercial for it seemed interesting. I was just looking for any feed back about it.

After watching the first season, will you be watching season 2?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I watched the entire season and was a little disappointed. They gave the colonists too much "help" in that things they needed would be found when in a real life situation I don't think they would have found those things.

Also, they had some brilliant people on the show and in a real life scenario, what are the chances that one would be with a group of that caliber.

The episodes where they were attacked by survivors from outside the group were pretty ridiculous. They knew they wouldn't be hurt. It's a TV show.

On the positive side, it was very interesting to watch them build and create the little that they could and I loved watching the colonists interact.
I will watch the new season for those reasons. It's better than much of what's on TV.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Have never seen this show but I have heard about it. I think that I will be watching this season! It has an interesting premise and will likely be entertaining.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by draxenth

I also watched last season it was ok. The fact was already stated that in real life that such a knowledgeable group of assembled suvivors is impossible in such a situation.
I t also appeared that the women did not take the situation seriously, that it was more of a game, where as the men took it very serious.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Hopefully season 2 will be better.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The new season starts tonight.

Hopefully it will be worth watching.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Such a garbage show. It's just "Survivor" in an old warehouse.

The people are so ridiculous in their little squabbles and their drama.

The movie-style fictional scenarios the producers set up are comical.

The show might have some entertainment value but as a real case study of rebuilding civilization or even simply living post-sitx it's worthless.

I hope that in the case of such an event either all of the people who would honestly give their time to the types of worthless drama-centric nonsense that is so prevalent in these 'reality' series dont make it or if they do survive that I dont make it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I watched season I and agree with what others have posted already.

Unrealistic scenarios, uber-brilliant participants, ease of resource gathering, etc... I mean, in a sitx who would be lucky enough to find 20 gallons of gasoline, a bunch of solar cells, 20 deep cylce batteries, etc...???

Perhaps the producers will improve upon the foundation and make season 2 better. All of that being said, I'll still watch season II.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If you're looking for convincing realistic parallels to your own reality, don't bother.

However, if you want to be mildly entertained while watching the cast members prove the viability of concepts, you'll enjoy the show tremendously.

Sure, we're not all going to find ourselves stranded in the apocalypse with Doc Brown, Stephen Hawking and MacGyver. However, for that part of society that doesn't spend 6 of the 8 hours they're at work studying survival techniques from the comfort of their leather office chair, it can be quite an informative show.

Concepts like powering a generator with wood-gas, sun tracking solar panels, etc. are not entirely obvious to most people.

You've just got to remember, the ATS member base is not the target demographic for this show. Same applies to all the whining on this site about how ridiculous Jesse Ventura's show is. Remember, these shows are intended for people who don't know anything about these topics, as a way to introduce them to the topic.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Unrealistic scenarios, uber-brilliant participants, ease of resource gathering, etc... I mean, in a sitx who would be lucky enough to find 20 gallons of gasoline, a bunch of solar cells, 20 deep cylce batteries, etc...???

Because watching a bunch of people sit around in the dark, eventually starving to death makes for much better TV, right?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've been studying sit-x for years now. I watched season 1, and I believed that for a TV show, that's the best we can have. Here are the reasons :

1) The other show "Survivor" skip all survival skills/techniqes, it teachs us nothing.

2) After most sit-x scenarios when most people died, there must still be some tools and some buildings somewhere, while only brilliant people can survive long enough to find a remote building (factory) that was still in good situation. But for a TV show, you can't waste time on bore "finding & gathering" scene. So, it has to be a "movie-style fictional Unrealistic scenarios with uber-brilliant participants and ease of resource gathering".

3) Only brilliant participants can "teach" us skills that we don't know. At least, I would say I had learn something; not much, but already better than all other TV show for people like me who live in city. (except "Man vs Wild" I would say, but that is not for me who live my whole life in big city only)

But of course, I also hope that the producers will improve upon the foundation and make season 2 better, more importantly, hope season II can teach more on survival skill in sit-x city, because if I am in the wood, I know I will be dead in one week even if I studied all the "Man vs Wild" shows.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's all scripted bleh. Some neat concepts in there though - last season had these "marauders" who if in real life were attacking the compound would have burnt it down - but because its for TV - its like watching a crappy play take place.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver
Awhile watching the Discovery Channel this morning a advertisement for a new season of a survival show came on which caught my attention, I've never seen or heard of this show before, and I wanted to know if anybody has watched the first season?

While watching a show on Hulu, I likewise have heard of The Colony only recently. The "Social Experiment" aspect of it reminds me of another series, Persons Unknown.

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver
They take 7 volunteers from different backgrounds and put them in the aftermath of a simulated catastrophe...

That sounds like quite a few places in Virgina
While taking a train ride to visit my brother in South Carolina, I passed many neighborhoods that would pass as an actual catastrophe. It looks as if this show itself will take place in an abandoned neighborhood.

Filmed on 10 acres of abandoned neighborhood on the Gulf Coast of Louisiana...

while fending off threats such as wild animals and malicious outsiders.

Wild animals and malicious outsiders? Does this group know beforehand that they will face these attacks? Or will they end up like this man?

Throughout this season, the colonists face daunting physical and emotional challenges as they attempt to survive in a world void of all the niceties they've ever known, including environmental dangers such as disastrous weather and indigenous wildlife.

The weather I can understand, but I can't find much on the types of wildlife they would encounter, not a dangerous type except for black bears and maybe coyotes.

Louisiana Wildlife

If I were the wildlife on the list, I myself would be more concerned - for a hungry colonist, they might make a good meal.

The threat of survival becomes imminent as hostile outsiders push them into a physical confrontation. How do the colonists respond and will their newfound skills be enough to protect their supplies and lives?

Maybe they will encounter some of the lost prisoners of New Orleans. Perhaps not.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dewi Winters.

while fending off threats such as wild animals and malicious outsiders.

Wild animals and malicious outsiders? Does this group know beforehand that they will face these attacks? Or will they end up like this man?

That's the thing. All of that nonsense is scripted garbage.

God forbid you actually defend yourself from one of these "malicious outsiders" and land in real prison. The circumstances in which you would be attacked are completely bunk as are the reactions the people would have.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewi Winters

Thanks for that clip of scare tactics, it was hilarious. Good thing that wasn't a real situation, dude punched the hitch hiker like 8 times in the head and couldn't knock him out.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'll echo what others said. Entertaining but unrealistic and scripted. The phony marauders attacking them just cheapened the show. Watching the people act scared and scramble to defend themselves while knowing they were in no real danger was disappointing. And the announcer kept saying something like 'the attackers can not harm the colonists, but they don't know that'. C'mon, of course they know that, it a tv show.

I'll disagree with some others who spoke of the brilliance of the participants. There were a few times where I was mildly impressed but for the most part I think with their supposed credentials and backgrounds they failed. Everything was pretty much given to them and they were steered into certain actions by the producers and the set-up environment.

It was like, 'hey we need to build a ____________', and there is conveniently a chainsaw and bag of tools in the corner under a tarp for them to 'find' right across from a pile of wood and a coffee can full of nails.

I will probably watch season two and hope that even though it is scripted it doesn't show through so much.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
After watching it for the first time last night I cant compare it to the previous season since I didn't watch season 1.

I have a question for the people who watched season 1, were the attackers in this season the same as last season? Were they more aggressive in this new episode?

I found that it was way to easy for the colonists to find supplies, I mean there is a medical tent full of supplies right there in the open. I kinda felt the colonists at first seemed to think this was gonna be like a extended camping trip, they have most of the supplies to survive right there, do a little work during the day and sleep at night. I laughed at the group attacking them trying to get their stuff. In all reality the colonists would have been killed the first night since they had nobody at all keeping a night watch and they had no real protection or reinforced safe spot/sleeping/living area.

I wonder what the rules are or limits to defending yourself against the people or group attacking you? Are you allowed to knock them out or seriously try to hurt them? In reality a situation like that it is kill or be killed. I know they cant actually kill each other but the attackers play fighting is too fake. In that mass brawl you would expect to take a casualty or 2 along with members being seriously hurt with broken bones, heavy bleeding, etc. Not just a few members lightly roughed up with a bloody elbow and pepper spray in the eyes. I suppose its a good element to add to the survival situation with the outside group trying to get your supplies, so I will give the show the benefit of the doubt since I've never seen that part added to a survival show before.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Last night's show was a huge disappointment.

Instead of eliminating the ridiculous "attack" scenes that diminished last season's authenticity, they added more.

The compound set up by the fake government agency was used to explain why there were so many supplies available.

Boring.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join